1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anonymous vs. Scientology

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Virre, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Virre

Virre Level IV

I've never been a big fan of the chans due to the complete lack of moral on the sites, I've only wandered there a few times to find fun pictures a few times, so it was quite a surprise when I read about Anonymous protesting against Scientology.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f4GQethVgk

So what's your thoughts on this?
    Personally, I think it's quite an impressive phenomena. An online internet group without any real structure (not only the chans, but also people from somethingawful, ytmnd and other sites) going together against what has been classed as the most dangerous cult in the world. Even though I'm not an Anonymous myself, I'm thinking of attending my local protest at April 12th (the previous protest have been on Feb. 20 and March 15). A colleague's husband is a former Scientologist and but managed to get away from it and we have three pre-schools here in Stockholm that uses Hubbard's theories of education.
    Also, from what I've gathered, they don't seem to be against Scientology as a religion/belief, just the structure of it; using it's members as cashcows.

2. Commy

Commy Moderator
    Staff Member

I read in the newspaper a while back that they give out awards to celebrities who have donated millions of dollars towards their "church". The top honour was awarded to Nancy Cartwright, the woman who voices Bart Simpson, who donated $10 million. Some of the non-profit funds go to special facilities for these celebrities, which shows how elitist the church is.
    And if you take a look at their disconnection policy, any family member of a scientologist who shows any antagonism towards the church are encouraged to be cut off from contact.
    It's good that Anonymous have stepped up to the plate to make the world more aware of what the Church of Scientology really stands for, and why so many countries fail to recognize it as a religion.
    And while people are free to believe in what they want, but I'm surprised that a church that was made by a science fiction author, and involves alien souls has had so many supporters.

3. xcoasterx

xcoasterx Level II

I like how scientology converts you. They say its a personality test. I've seen in the PNE (biggest fair in BC.)