1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bottled Water

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by kittymeow, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kittymeow

kittymeow Level II

How do you feel about some states ( if it applies to you) banning bottled water. Is it helping the environment or just leaving you to drink tap?

2. Smelly

Smelly Level IV

lol! What?!?!

3. she_devil101

she_devil101 Level IV

Banning bottled water?? Why...

That doesn't make a lot of sense.

4. gusgus

gusgus Level II

because of the damage it does to the environment. Driving the heavy stuff everywhere, the casing...

5. marsar

marsar Level I

It depends how bad the tap water is in the area. If its fine then I see no problem with banning it. If it helps the environment then its a good idea

6. palepink

palepink Level IV

I never drink tap water. I dunno, although they do a process to make the water clean enough to drink, but before it comes out of the tap it's actually gone through unknown pipes and stuff which might be filthy.. and that idea just creeps me out. ew.

7. punkeydew

punkeydew Level IV

I think it is rediculous to ban bottled water

I mean... What the heck

I'm all for the enviroment... but why not ban canned soda... why not ban bagged chips, why not ban bottled teas, juices ect...

At least water is not harmfull and it IS necessary for human survival.

Plus alot of tap water is not very good.

I have a brita filter on my tap. so I drink mine.

But I have lived in places where the water comes out brown and taste like pure rust. Or chlorine.

When we lived in italy, the navy actually provided a weekly alotment of FREE bottles of water to drink. because the water was so bad near the base and americans were not used to the water there.

that is just rediculous. It wont happen

8. onprogus

onprogus Level IV

Haha I think thats a stupid idea :nope:

But perhaps its necessary, though I dont know how much it can really do to save the environment...
    If governments want to make a difference pass a law to make cars enviromentally friendly :)

I only ever drink bottled water though, I can taste all the nastyness in tap water D:

9. KingSteve

KingSteve Level I

I just bought a purifyer thingy. Tastes the same to me.

10. noncheatercheater

Depending on the area.

I saw a report on bottled water the other day and it seems that they ARE more harmful to the environment.

They don't grow on shelves. They have to be processed and shipped which costs MONEY and fuel. People don't recycle them so they are thrown away.

I think the issue would be a little better if the stupid poland spring waters weren't only recyclable in Maine!! Hello? No idiot from cali is going to ship their bottle to maine to be recycled..

11. Majikcal

Majikcal Level II

I don't drink tap water, it tastes weird to me, so I would be screwed if they banned bottled water

12. Rebecca

Rebecca Level II

I only drink bottled water when I'm in the car.
    But I'm lucky because I'm on the East coast of Scotland and I live in a small village, so our water is lovely here :)

When I lived in the states though we only drank bottled water. So I don't see how they can ban it.
    There are many things that are bad for the environment that havn't been banned. Personally, I think aerosols should be banned before bottled water!! (and fizzy juice, as someone else pointed out)

13. demons_angel17

demons_angel17 Level I

The plastic bottles are an environment hazard,so i guess banning packaged water will help some.
    and,i have no idea about this legislation;where i come from,the last bottle of packaged water i got seemed to taste worse than tap water...

14. Virre

Virre Level IV

Wow, I've never heard about this before.
    But hey, it's a relly good step towards a better enviromental policy.
    It doesn't cost much to get a soda stream to make your own bubbly mineral water.
    But then again, you guys in the states actually buy regular tap water on bottle, and not just the mineral water. And why you're doing that I don't know.
    In some countries (those that experience alot of tourism) I can understand that people do so, since the minerals and bacterias in the tap water are different from what we in the west have, but I really see no reason why we with our extremely clean tap water should buy bottled water.
    In fact, I'm having a glass of tap water right now. Yummy. :)

15. XxcodyxX

XxcodyxX Level I

i have mixed oppinions! like its cool that they want to help the environment but bottled water is also just tap water well 98% of it which is dumb but if people want bottle water then they should be able to buy it..!

16. noncheatercheater

I agree but I think I disagree more.

It's quite obvious in todays (America, can't speak for any other country) society that people can't control themselves. We are in an obesity epidemic because some people can't control how much McDonalds they eat. It's like, our country needs babysitters or something.

I think taking away the bottled water wouldn't be a good idea but I think they should jack up the price so much that no one WILL buy it.. and inform people on how to make clean water.. getting filters and the such..

17. Rebecca

Rebecca Level II

I agree with what you're saying. But I also think it's interesting when you talk about the obesity problem that you have in America. If this is the case then I would think it is more beneficial to ban McDonalds etc (who don't do any good for the environment for the same reasons, packaging and lorrys etc) and not ban water, because water is good for you and people don't drink as much as they should in the Western world, even though it is available so readily.

I can see both sides of the arguement though but I still maintain it's not the worst thing. Also, I don't think they will get away with it, the water companies will prob sue them or something!

18. noncheatercheater

lol They SHOULD ban mcdonalds!

Or better, yet, PUT A LIMIT ON HOW MANY FRANCHISES CAN EXIST!! I saw recently that the CEO's in China Mcdonalds are going to put up 10 THOUSAND more restaurants.

That's ridiculous.

I think ONE per town is enough.

19. Rebecca

Rebecca Level II

I think one per town is too much!! haha
    Seriously though, there are far too many already. Not just McDonalds, but they are the worst I think. 10 thousand more??!! That's crazy talk!
    Where I live the closest McDonalds is about 15 miles away and KFC is further than that. And I don't even know where there is a Burger King or anything else. So I guess I have been spared a little... for now... Still too close for comfort though. I vote to get rid of them and not the water!!

20. noncheatercheater

lol

in my small town of 5000 people, we have a mcdonalds.. and a burger kind half a mile away from that, with two doughnut places in between, a pizza hut, village pizza, another pizza place next to the grocery store, and 2 chinese restaurants (there used to be four)..

it's like..

DUH, there's nothing to do BUT eat!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.