1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College Easier than Highscool

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by looneytoon, Feb 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. looneytoon

looneytoon Level III

I was talking to someone who goes to a college in Ohio, and I was telling him how hard my classes were and stuff like that. He told me he goes to school for 2 hours a day, has the rest of the day to himself, all that time to get homework done, and his classes are easier because he can relate to what he is learning because its for his career.

This makes me happy and mad, happy cuzz I cant wait to go to college, and mad cuzz that means we are getting taught alot of things in high school we dont really need to know, like there is no reason I need to know more than half Algebra 2 equations.

Any opinions on this?

2. Angelika

Angelika Moderator

College isn't easier than high school. No matter what anyone says, it's not! You may have more time to do work, but you'll have more work to do. Highschool was a joke compared to college.

3. DesertSong

DesertSong Level II

It depends where you're going and what for.

Generally speaking, I find that all my General Education classes in college are easier than those I had in highschool. Mainly because most of the professors understand that something like Chemistry isn't your major, so they're not going to teach a million tedious things like a high school teacher may.

But your major's core classes are tougher. But depending on how much you like them they might seem less redundant and more meaningful.

One thing that makes college hard on some kids is that you're not likely to have someone dogging you to go to class and do your work. Some kids have a hard time finding the modivation to do it if they don't have someone to nag them. I've seen it happen a lot.

4. rapidah

rapidah Level III

its true that u dont have to go to school all day, my cousin goes like 2 hrs on tuesdays, 4 hrs on wednesday, 2 hrs on thursdays, but he still gets a lot of homework like essays and stuff

5. direscape

direscape Level III

I am only in middle school, but alot of people from my highschool says that (we have a lower, middle, and high school, actually college too). They just, I don't know, find it just a easy or easier. They have been learning how to be organized in highschool, so it is easy in college. That is what I have heard...

6. rapidah

rapidah Level III

well, i find it that i learn better when im learning things im interested in, and post secondary gives u a chance to do that becuz u r planning wut u want to be when you grow up, so ppl will take the couses that they enjoy and find interest in, and will probably enjoy doing assignments because they get to research/learn interesting things that they''ve never heard of/done before

7. goldengirl

goldengirl Level I

I'm an online University student so my experience may differ from traditional campuses, but I thought I'd still share my $0.02. =)

You do have more time to yourself, for sure. To me, the assignments are just as easy, only there are more of them or they're bigger (i.e., a 10-12 page paper instead of a 2-3 page paper). Self-motivation is a major issue, particularly with online students! And no, I don't find it any more interesting or engaging, because I know that my education doesn't actually matter. The only thing that actually matters is that I get a degree. So I pretty much just figure I'm "putting in my time" until I get that degree because that's my goal and that's the only thing that future employers are going to look at. (I assure you, nobody cares about your GPA.)

But your Algebra 2 class is valuable, never doubt that. =) I mean, you may not walk into Wendy's and be asked to solve a quadratic equation, but you can figure out how much money you'd save if you paid off your house a year early or if you consolidated your credit cards. And just the practice of solving those problems helps develop neural connections that strengthen your problem-solving ability; so later, when an issue at work arises, you'll be able to figure it out instead of flapping your hands helplessly. ;)

8. alex123kill

alex123kill Level II

So yea. It depends on what you learn and where you learn.

Example : Grade 12 Calculus is harder than Food Science in College...

9. rapidah

rapidah Level III

lol, im gonna be taking calculas AP next year(my gr 12 year) and it could count for university credits... hope i dont get overloaded with homework

10. alex123kill

alex123kill Level II

Hope not, calculus is hard in my opinion, so you better study hard and if not, you will fall behind...

11. slickmik

slickmik Level II

Ouch... calculus is very hard
    I head there is tons of homework and it's very tricky :?

12. omglook

omglook Level III

just the word calculus seems complicated >_<

mabe he took college courses in highskewl so he didnt have to take em in college

13. Xiaoset

Xiaoset Level III

High School was fairly easy.. and everyone treated you a bit 'older' and gave you more freedom (the staff, that is) ... yep.. skipped a lot of time.. :)

14. l3mu3l

l3mu3l Level III

Lol college is harder. Shorter time, but harder. It wouldn't be after highschool if it was easy.

15. celebi

celebi Level I

Hmm... I think that they let you do what you want more in the older years, becuase your basically an adult then...

16. octoberlove

octoberlove Level I

College is far from easier than high school believe me. Classes aren't as long but they are ten times harder, you have to constantly listen to lectures, and most of the time the only grades you get for the whole semester are the exams.

17. slickmik

slickmik Level II

But in movies and stuff they make college seem like a total joke..
    Like they seem like a 24/7 party where girls take off their clothes for no reason haha :D

18. zer0ordi3yo

zer0ordi3yo Level IV

That's why they're movies.

Sure, that really happens, but those people fail.

19. Charlie

Charlie Level IV

Very true, also all the party kids get fat too b/c of all the beer. My friend was skinnier than a stick but after 1st semester he came back to visit, it looked like he was pregnant. Due to all the beer. He drinks it like its water.

Currently in Senior year in high school, so I don't know what college is like yet.

20. Angelika

Angelika Moderator

That's true. Alcohol in general is very high in calories, and people who binge drink 3 days out of the week are bound to get fat.

I guess people have this skewed view of college...like it's just a huge party, but it's not. It's hard work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.