1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Competitions

Discussion in 'Contests and Events' started by lazypando, Aug 20, 2008.

?

Do you want more graphics competitions?

1. Yes

17 vote(s)
    81.0%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lazypando

lazypando Level IV

So the supposedly "weekly" graphics competition hasn't been run in a while now and though maybe, just maybe, people might be interested again. So vote, vote! Tell me what you think. What kind of graphics, themes, prizes (np, cash points), etc. And whether or not I should make the contests biweekly to allow people more time to enter.

2. Icegoten

Icegoten Level III

In my view this is just another way to award people who can do something others might not be able to do just as well so I don't want it.

However thats just my feeling you guys can still go ahead and do your weekly competitions.

3. Cacklenub

Cacklenub Level IV

Yes, but people who win shouldn't be eligible for another 4-6 weeks, sort of like the bc...i like to make graphics when im bored but a lot of people here are tons better, and it would be pointless to spend an hour or two making a graphic when someone else will own me. :p

4. Zer0

Zer0 Level IV

I think we've been through this before. You're logic is very flawed. You are awarding people who have skills. You are not taking anything away from those who don't win. Have you read Kurt Vonnegut's 1961 short story "Harrison Bergeron"? http://instruct.westvalley.edu/lafave/hb.html
    What you want is "sameness" not "equality".

Well, enough philosophy aside, I like this idea. :D

Don't worry, you'll get better the more graphics you make. You don't want everything to be easy do you?

5. Icegoten

Icegoten Level III

You are awarding people who have skills. You are not taking anything away from those who don't win.
    --x--
    Exactly your awarding those with the skill ONLY. Why not have 2nd and 3rd place prizes and everyone who entered a prize too?
    I still think your logic is flawed and anyone else who thinks the same way. (Not trying to start an argument here...so don't get mad at me for every time I reply to something you say)

6. lazypando

lazypando Level IV

Err it's just a small contest, nothing big. We used to do it all the time.

7. MCheezie

MCheezie Level IV

People are awarded for doing something they are good at, everyone is good at something different. Maybe we could have different contests as well. I don't agree with Ice, just because some people aren't good with graphics doesn't mean we should penalize the rest of the forum and not hold a competition. It's how the world is. You don't see the Olympics full of people who aren't good at what they do. If you are good at something, you deserve an award and recognition. So yes, it would be fun to have a graphic competition.

8. Virre

Virre Level IV

And programming isn't? People are skilled in different ways, some are good at graphics, some at programming and some at neither but something else.
    You can learn to design at least somewhat good,a s you can learn the different techniques in order to achieve and present the idea you have. Actually, graphics isn't as much about it looking good as having a good idea. Sure, it must look at the least okay in order for people to like it, but a good presentation of an idea is often better than just some neat colouring and effects.
    By your logic, we shouldn't reward people for anything. Some people are really active when it comes to posting and reaches level II really fast while others are active in the chat or guides forum but not in the threads and hence doesn't reach level I or II as fast.

I like this idea of having more contests, anything that can make people active and reward them for being it seems like a good idea to me.

edit; MC beat me to it :D

Dark and FastBullet like this.
  9. junkant

junkant Level III

I am for this competition.
    Ice you are sounding very communist, don't take it the wrong way but you are.
    This section has been dead for a long time.
    Lets get some action in here.

10. Icegoten

Icegoten Level III

I never said to not hold a competition...I said go ahead and run them.

11. CHticker

CHticker Level I

A graphics competition! Sounds awesome. I really hope you guys do this.

12. lazypando

lazypando Level IV

Yay then looks like most people are up for it. But I still need theme ideas. :( Help me please.

13. Cacklenub

Cacklenub Level IV

Of course not, but a lot of people with better programs that have been making them for years could make better graphics than me...this way I think it would be fair, because the "l33t" ones would just keep winnin the cash and whatnot. Besides, with 1 or 2 filtered out their should still be heavy competition.

14. Zer0

Zer0 Level IV

Sigh... Haven't I already proven that you don't need expensive proprietary software to be "l33t"?
    If you look at the past competitions, there's only a handful of people entering. And there's been a variety of people entering in them. No one is going to "hog" the competition all the time. Just enter in and have some fun :)

15. MCheezie

MCheezie Level IV

I think you should pick a movie and then the graphic has to be from that movie. Ya know? Like Harry Potter or something. Or a Neo theme, like pirates or faeries or something. IDK

16. Zer0

Zer0 Level IV

Should there really have been a discussion about this? Why not just create a contest and see how it turns out? ;)
    Or at least a better poll would be "Would you enter if there was a new graphics contest?"

17. Poprockz

Poprockz Level II

Hmm. Might as well toss in some input, huh? First off, I'm all for this competition. I don't even have photoshop anymore but I'm more than willing to give this a shot with Paint.NET (google it if you want a free photoshop-like program). Its capabilities are limited but hey, why not? I also think that this should be weekly, not biweekly, because I don't think it's that time consuming to make a sig. If there are themes, that'll give competitors a sort of visualization that'll shorten the graphics making process by quite a bit (at least, I think so). The less time you have to 'strategize' and map out your sig, the more time you have to make it. And submit it to the comp. :)

As far as themes go: neopet related, DC Comics, pokemon, movies (ad-type deal thingy), yourself (manip. a picture of yourself into a sig), vectors, old school, video games, where's waldo (blend a waldo image into something random, ie put him in the Last Supper).. I don't know, there are endless possibilities :p

18. Cacklenub

Cacklenub Level IV

Where's waldo would be really fun, but we could make it a different person each time...maybe one week Bush and the next Adam Powell!!

19. Phee

Phee Moderator
    Staff Member

Let's keep this on topic guys!

How about something easy and cheesy for the first one or two, like underwater, sunny day, starry skies, darkness, black and white, etc. ?

20. lazypando

lazypando Level IV

Because last one I held had only one entry. Kinda annoying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.