1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homosexuality

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by cardenal, Oct 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cardenal

cardenal Level III

What are your opinions about homosexuality?
    do you think it's right/wrong?
    is it caused by nature or nurture?
    would you feel comfortable telling people you were gay?

Quoted from a Facebook group

2. Milanos

Milanos Level IV

I think that everybody should have the right to choose for themselves. However, I don't think it really is right. If you are homesexual, you don't get children. That's not really natural.

I think it's caused by nurture...

And I wouldn't feel comfortable telling people that I'm gay.

3. cardenal

cardenal Level III

But you get to adopt children who wouldn't have otherwise had a home. but I see what you mean about the not being able to have your own thing. it's quite a common argument against homsexuality.

did you know that [in South Africa at least] it's easier for a gay couple to adopt than it is for a straight couple?

4. soccermadness90

soccermadness90 Level III

oh my, why is that so?

Anyway i feel that it is up to personal choice. That means that i would not mind a homosexual as a friend.

But i also feel that it is unnatural and abit against the laws of nature. I would not encourage it but i would not go all out against it.

5. cardenal

cardenal Level III

I actuallly have no idea. Maybe because they can't have children of their own?
    it would be presumptuous to assume that it's because gay people make better parents

6. Commy

Commy Moderator
    Staff Member

In Australia, homosexual couples aren't allowed to adopt, and surrogacy is illegal. So many homosexual couples who can afford to travel overseas to America, where it is legal, and pay for it there. But generally, such couples in Australia aren't allowed children, or benefits in being in a relationship.
    I think homosexuality is caused by nature, and depending on the nurture, it could make it easier or harder to come out of the closet. And I don't think it's by choice either. You could choose to come out, but you don't choose who you are attracted to.
    I've got several gay friends, and it depended on their family how they reacted. My Chinese friend got kicked out of the house, and had to quit high school, which was a shame.
    My other friend came from an Australian family. When he came out, his mother cried, and his dad was silent, but they accepted it. He's actually bisexual.
    I reckon it would be hard to come out of the closet. I grew up in a Christian family, as well as going to a Christian school until high school. So many of my friends are devout. I wonder how our relationships would change, not just with my Christian friends, but with everybody.
    And in the Bible, it does say if you are a man and you sleep with another man as you would a woman, that is an abomination. But it also says in the same book that eating shell fish is wrong, so maybe it needs to be a bit updated? I don't think there's anything wrong with it

7. cardenal

cardenal Level III

Well, they've just legalised same sex marriages down here. I almost threw a party.

It is a real pity about your friend. I can't believe parents would do that to their children...

8. chikorita_S

chikorita_S Level I

I'm not against homosexuality because...

For a fact, They are just like everyone else so I don't see why they are so weird for having an attraction for the same sex, Maybe I do but don't be haters like in the bible says

"Love thy neighbors as thyself"

9. Commy

Commy Moderator
    Staff Member

Well, you know, you could pretty much quote a passage from the Bible for anything. That little quote may not tell the whole story.
    But here's the quote I mentioned before:
    Leviticus 18:22-23 "You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination."
    So the Bible isn't against homosexuals, just what homosexuals do with other homosexuals.
    But yes. They are like everyone else.

10. cardenal

cardenal Level III

in the bible, doesn't it say something along the lines that lusting after someone is basically like sleeping with them anyway?
    so, wouldn't that mean that even the thoughts would be an abomination, because it's basically like the act?

11. chikorita_S

chikorita_S Level I

No it says lusting is committing adultery already.

12. cardenal

cardenal Level III

yes, which is pretty much what I said

13. chikorita_S

chikorita_S Level I

Oh sorry I had read it wrong I though you had posted it doesn't say that.

14. Virre

Virre Level IV

I don't care a bit about if a person is attracted to people of their own gender, it's none of my business.
    I think it's an old debate in which the opponents of homosexual rights are just people that want to whine aout everything. It's not about homosexual rights, it's about human rights. You can't deny the fact that they're human, so why should they be excluded from the same rights and responsabilities that others have?
    To me, there is no grey zone in this.

15. goncalo

goncalo Level IV

I'm pretty much for the homosexuality, 'cause I think one should decide his on faith for himself.
    Besides defending all the human rights, I think homosexuality shouldn't even be something to be ashamed of for the simple fact that it is NOT unnatural, or otherwise it wouldn't happen.

Think of it this way: Dolphins are supposedly the most intelligent animals on Earth following us (I'm not saying similar to us), and there have been scientific discoveries stating that there are also homosexual dolphins.

Therefore, my concept of homosexuality is simple: Like all the other animals don't have the same survival capacity like us because their ADN organization isn't as complex and organized as ours, the homosexuality is just a different characteristic earned by the more complexed and advanced cell systems and therefore, being evolution natural, these characteristics are also natural.

I admit I wouldn't be able to admit I was homosexual if I was though. The current civilization has loads of preconception about it, but like all the other human rights, I think it'll develop trough time and one day there will be no preconception.

16. cardenal

cardenal Level III

yet, somehow, some people do. it was the same with apartheid.

17. noncheatercheater

Well, being as I'm considered gay (well, lesbian in my situation) I think it's right.

I think it's caked up when someone says it's wrong. It would be wrong for THEM because it's against what THEY believe. It's not wrong for US because it's not what WE believe. Does anyone understand?

Nature vs. Nurture. I think it's more so nature, but nurture has it's part in it, too. If you take care of your kid and allow them to be whatever they feel (nurturing them), they become the person they are. If you preach to them what they think is wrong, the parents are indeed trying to suppress the real feelings and some people don't come out because of it, even if it's a LIFELONG battle with themselves.. that's just my opinion.

Sexuality is fluid. There isn't only gay, straight, and bi. There's pansexual, transexual, transgender (yes, they are two different things), and even ASEXUAL. AND THEN SOME. It never ends.

Anyway..

18. foxygrampa2012

foxygrampa2012 Level I

i am fine with it
    just marry who you want to
    but you dont have to flaunt it and wear retarded outfits

19. Virre

Virre Level IV

So it's right to discriminate a person because of what he or she wears?
    Please feel free to elaborate your thoughts on this.

20. cardenal

cardenal Level III

yes, please do elaborate, coz hopefully we've misunderstood what you were trying to say

I was brought up in a very catholic/mormon, religious home. I was always told gay=bad... but I realised at a young age that I was gay.
    I'm lucky that my parents were awesome about it. They didn't even raise an eyebrow.

Don't forget the Kings and Queens
    I was originally gonna put them all in the first post, but then I figured it might detract from the topic, everyone asking what they were...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.