1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I feel that my study methods are wrong..little help?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by WildSnorlax, Sep 17, 2009.

1. WildSnorlax

WildSnorlax Level IV

So so far this semester, i've been doing homework everyday, but I still seem to only be getting 70s. I am taking math and physics. I don't know what else I should do? Is homework not good enough?

1. Is it bad I do my homework, and if I get the answer wrong, I look at the back and then think about HOW you get that answer, and I think this is bad for me because on a test you can't see if you did it right or wrong. Maybe my flaw here is that i'm too insecure of my own answer. We're only starting Momentum and Impulse unit too..I don't know what to do to help me study better. Should I understand how the theory works completely?

2. Also math..it's just..we're doing combinatronic right now, and I get my homework right every day, but now once we convered ALL the material in this unit, I am SO confused, I have no idea how you distinguish a question as combinations with probabilities or permutations with alike objects. Sometimes they combine, I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO.

Even if I get the homework right, how do I test myself/find out if I really know the material instead of just doing them because you know which method to use?

It'd be nice if I can get 80s..but sigh..maybe i'm destined to be a 70s kid forever?

2. Zer0

Zer0 Level IV

Meh. I usually think its the teacher not teaching the concepts in a way that's easily understandable to the students. After all, everyone learns differently. Reading from textbooks/online doesn't help much either since they just give you raw formulas and equations w/o good explanations.

If you want, I can give some tutoring on anything math/physics related. Just shoot me a PM or poke my eye out in the chatbox :)
    I guarantee you'll get 90%+ on all your math/physics tests or your money back! :yup:

3. WildSnorlax

WildSnorlax Level IV

Awww, thanks Zer0 :)
    I was guna ask you cuz I know yur a physics/math guy but I didn't want to be pesky with all those questions and stuff.
    And what if you're not on?? Is there a panic button?

4. Zer0

Zer0 Level IV

Lol, I'm always online. Don't worry about that XD
    But yes, in fact there is a panic button. Its my own private email account that I am online on almost literally 24/7 :p

Emergency use only though. :X:

5. WildSnorlax

WildSnorlax Level IV

6. lanabubalo13

lanabubalo13 Level II

I'm taking Physics this year too...and all my teacher does is show us 10+ year old videos in class, while not teaching us and grading us on hw which covers material that we haven't gone over in class yet.

T_T

All I can say is read the book. And again. And again. I do exactly what you do with checking answers (for odd numbered problems anyways xD) and I find it amazingly helpful. I love working backwards and finding out where I messed up or whatever.

Another thing is, ask your peers! I think students are able to explain concepts better to other students than teachers can. Teenager -- Teenager > Adult -- Teenager.

But yeah, good luck! I am saved by our curve :) square root (score) * 10 = grade; so getting a 64 on a test turns into an 80 hehehe

At least calc is over! And I am looking forward to next semester; second semester senior will be nice :D

Edit: GAH did not see how old this thread was. Augh D:

7. Will

Will Level IV

I am so going to take you up on that when I do my bridging course at the end of the year slash when I start engineering.

8. SoC

SoC Moderator
    Staff Member

How old are you Zer0?

And what courses are you studying?

I always assumed you was young like 16.. I've no idea why this might be correct though?

I was so wish I was studying math in america, you do real maths at an early age and not stupid maths :(

9. lanabubalo13

lanabubalo13 Level II

^ There are freshmen at my high school that take Algebra 1.... >.> (I took it in 7th grade)

10. Zer0

Zer0 Level IV

Ya 16... I feel like I've been 16 forever though and should be 17 by now >______> btw, you might've thought that I was young because I told you guys my age several times now XD
    I'm taking mv calc w/ dif. eq., linear algebra, mathematical physics, and some other stuff...

Trust me, math in the US is terrible. They "teach" you "advanced" stuff, but all they're doing is accelerating kids waay too fast for their own good.

Oh, and excellent gravedig