1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm TEEN and HATE Alcohol.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by DeNo, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeNo

DeNo Level III

Im Australian, now sure how it is over in the U.S., but from what I've gathered from your pop culture the prelevance of alcohol and drugs in teen culture is ingrained.
    The most sad sight is teens, 15,16,17 getting smashed for no other reason because everyone else is. Sometimes i feel mad because i genuinely dont like the last of alcohol, especcially beer.
    I play footy (rugby) and all my mates hit it hard, they respect i don't enjoy it; though it doesent stop then trying to get my absolutely pissed :p
    But I'm just saying, for any other teens out there, ITS PERFECTLY okay to not touch the stuff if you dont want to. Not sure how effective this little moral lesson would be, but I guess theres a high teen population on here.
    Maybe I'll develope a taste for it someday, but till then, I'm just going to chill being high on life.

Phee likes this.
  2. Freja

Freja Level IV

Yeah, I started drinking alcohol at a very young age (12 years) because the "popular" kids from my class did, and I usually hang with them.

I do drink 8+ times a month now, and the reason is that I'm simply used to it. I wish I could just go to parties without drinking, but it makes it easier to talk to people (for me) and it often ends up with me totally drunk because I can't control it. And I find it very embarresing that I can't control it, and I'm trying to drink less..

I do respect people who don't drink, but often it's the people that won't hang with others, they just sit at home (at my school it is). I mean, they just think we're all loosers who don't have a life, and they make groups of haters XD I know, it sounds sterotypic, but it's usually how it is here in Denmark. And 90% of all young people drink here I guess xD You only have to be 16 here too..

3. DeNo

DeNo Level III

sh*t ( can i swear here? i cant remember) 12?! thats insane.
    I totally know what you mean, the general assumption is that the only people that dont drink are the nerds & losers.
    thats not true. im popular, play sport and have great mates. As you said, if you dont like alcohol and dont want to drink it, have confidence in yourself and what you want. People will respeect that, and if not in school then definitely after it.

Hehe, I don't want this to turn into an AA meeting, but im just saying for everyone. its cool if you dont wanna get trashed every 2nd night.
    But still.. drinking stories :p
    Sorry, could i get your name? Mines Dennis.
    16s a pretty young age, 18 here.

4. Freja

Freja Level IV

lol, I'm not sure if you can swear XD
    but I know, it was a young age. but people here start drinking when they are VERY young. It's not unusual that you've started drinking younger.
    yeah well, a guy in my class is pretty okay, he talks to all of us and he's very nice, but he just hates when we talk about alcohol or when he sees drunk people. He really despies it, and that's cool with all of us, really. It just means that he doesn't meet us in the weekends because he can't go with us to parties and not drink - people would put pressure on him and he would probably give in and take a drink.
    And it's wrong that people think this way, that everyone must drink to be cool. But most of us actually think it's okay (in my class, I mean) and I really like that. No one is really saying: If you don't drink, you're not cool, but I guess it's what everyone thinks when somebody tells you they dont drink /:

My name is Freja : D

5. vicky_shona

vicky_shona Newbie

I'm 15, and only drink occasionally. And not hard stuff, just alcopops and cider. I shouldn't drink at all really, it interferes with my medication.

6. DeNo

DeNo Level III

Wow, Freja, thats a unique name. i freaakin love it! hahaha. the average peeps start in Aus is around like 14-15. 14 would be deemed pretty young aswell. you guys sound like you go hard xD
    yea, i dont hate alcohol. like i got a few stories of my own, its everyones own choice.

7. Freja

Freja Level IV

well thank you very much :*
    yeah, we go pretty hard xD the politics are trying to do something about it, though. I think they might raise the limit of drinking to 18. They just raised the limit from 16 to 18 years on buying cigarettes here last month : D

8. mjnskivt

mjnskivt Level III

Man 12 is reeeeaaaally young. I live in the northeast U.S. and the youngest I've heard of anyone drinking is 14, but that's only a couple people. It really becomes widespread around sophomore year in high school (age 16).

I personally respect people who don't drink, although there aren't very many in my town. I have only drank a few times and I've never gotten too drunk, just enough to loosen up a little bit. I think I keep it under pretty good control compared to some of the other people I know.

The most important thing is (in the U.S. at least) is DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE.

9. Freja

Freja Level IV

oh they should be really strict in the US right ? My brother was there for a year as an exchange student and his hostdad (54years) had to show ID to buy a beer O; whoah! here, 13-year old children can buy everything they want in a supermarket .

ah, that reminds me. I was driving my bike (drunk) yesterday and I ran over red light when the police stopped me . They were like: "Can I see your donorcard? You must donate your organs since you'll die in a very young age driving like that. Ans then someone else can have your nice organs" I was like: OMG O.e . luckily, he let me go .. =D

10. Phee

Phee Moderator
    Staff Member

I like the sound of that cop!

Small towns are the worst in regards to drinking. I live in a small town, and EVERYONE drinks. I started when I was 15. People generally start drinking at like 14 or 15, when they get into high school.

The Id thing is pretty unusual, at least where I live, you won't get carded unless you look young. But most people just use their older brother/sister's id or have a fake one anyways.

11. fauxyx

fauxyx Level I

Well, that makes two of us.

12. MCheezie

MCheezie Level IV

I drink a lot but I think I am old enough to drink. I am not some moron who is 15 getting trashed all the time. If you are responsible and not a total idiot drinking is fun.

13. Molly

Molly Level III

I'm amazed at the number of people at your schools who drink :eek:

At our school, its not too much of a problem. I'm guessing a huge part of it, though, is that our school is huge into athletics and almost everyone plays some sport. If you get caught drinking, or even have pictures on facebook that show drinking, you don't get to play.

14. DeNo

DeNo Level III

are you joking me? our footy coach had a few beers with the team once. its steeped in aussie culture to 'knock a few back'.

and the whole license thing, thats insane. In Australia, if you are over the limit for drinking you are absolutely shredded. And theres new L(earners) and P(ractice)-plater laws on licences, zero alcohol or else lose it, if caught over speed limit at all, lose your license. There really cracking down on teens and driving. Arghhh :(
    I need 120 hours before i get off my L's (you need a full licence in the car teaching you) to P's.

Haha, wow, so people actually respect those that dont drink?!

saralee33 likes this.
  15. Ak*

Ak* Level IV

Hey man, good for you.. i didn't start drinking till i was eighteen, good for you not being pressured into that sorta thing.

16. dreamlorde

dreamlorde Level III

It drives me up a wall to see kids who are 17 say "I'm quitting drinking. I partied way too hard when I was younger." :/

17. DeNo

DeNo Level III

hahaha dreamlorde, we talk again after so long.

youve been through so much, is it safe to assume you have some view on the topic of alcohol?

18. vinceraf

vinceraf Level III

So, do you want clapping? [...] The topic reminds me those stupid signs like "99% of people tried at least once drugs (it isn't true but okay...), if you're in the 1% show this in your signature".... lol, they freak me out =.=" (why should you boast for something you haven't done? Boast yourself for something you've done! o_O Like stopping drinking or using drugs :/)

However... I like alcohol (started at 17), I like drinking (very occasionaly) with friends, I have pity on heavy drinkers, and I hate not-responsable drinkers.
    I go mad when I hear news about after-saturday-night cars' accidents or drunks that run down people... but it doesn't depend from alcohol, it depends from people that use it :nope:

19. dreamlorde

dreamlorde Level III

how are you, old friend? :) You know, I used to date a bartender with three kids. I also lived with a woman (who was the manager of the store I worked at) that was seeing the owner of the most well-known biker bar in western Washington. So I have some experience with alcohol, yeah. What it's worth, I don't know. :)

Kids have no taste when it comes to alcohol. They'll drink any piss they can get their hands on. Now I know I shouldn't give a rat's ass, but for some reason it really bugs me when a young'un says something like "Oh Southern Comfort is mah drink! That ish is soooo gud!" No it's not. It tastes like ass juice and you don't know shit. :D

But on-subject.... I see that underage drinking is escalating - and that's bad - but it isn't the problem. The problem.... well, that's a huge subject. If I was going to sum it up in as few words as possible, I'd say the problem is the United States. We are Out of F-N Control. Not surprising considering it was founded by a bunch of rebels.... yeah, troublemakers and rulebreakers started this thing, and old habits die hard. Movies, TV, radio, internet, and the unrivalled American capacity for abuse, greed, and taking everything to the extreme - put it all together and that's your problem. I started writing a book a while ago on the subject. I really drilled down into this thing to try to find a solution. I haven't touched it in a while because I needed a break. Trust me when I found things going on in this country that are 1) legal, 2) going on right now although you're probably not aware, and 3) would turn your stomach. Things I can't even talk about in a forum like this. :(

20. DeNo

DeNo Level III

No, no applauses. No congrats. Walking the path of the one that doesnt drink at the party, the one thats sober isn't a fun one. Its not glorious, its not fun. I won't be able to talk about waking up with several piercings in places I didn't knew I had, then laugh with everyone. I just want kids my age to know, that you dont have to drink to be funny, confident and cool. Do you dislike the message im trying to tell everyone?

Dude, I love your output to any topic. You just add baddassness. Yea I've been good, have the highschool final exams (the ones that determine which uni you go to, or 'college' as you call it), and ive pretty much shitting myself outta fear =P I missed good conversation so i decided to revisit this old place. And what do you know, your still hanging around here, i woulda thought would already have your millions and own yacht in the bahamas somewhere by now.

I want to change the path of self-destruction of my generation. This is a small start i guess. Letting people know, to be champion you don't have to drink till you throw up your stomach lining. Or eat some chicks face that you dont even remember. Theres a generation out there which doesent know it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.