1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lern porgam wid mi

Discussion in 'Code Snippets and Tutorials' started by Phee, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Phee

Phee Moderator
    Staff Member

So I don't know about you guys, but whenever I try to teach myself how to program via the vast number of sources on the internetz, I give it up after a bit, because I'm horrible at self-motivation and all that. Plus I hate reading all that stuff.

Anyhooz I figured that if I had someone else, or more than one person, to learn with me, we'd all help motivate each other yahh? I have alot of time this summer! I'd like to do at least something slightly useful, because playing Sims 3 kind of sucks in the whole not-a-total-waste-of-time category.

Additionally, I know we have alot of talented programmers on this site, and I for one was looking forward to their tutorials, but of course as I said before, there's a plethora of programming tutorials online and there really isn't a huge reason for them to make any more. However, I'm sure they can help us (me?:() with any roadblocks, which is what's so great about our community.

Anyone with me? I picked VB.NET because it's popularly used, and from what I've heard relatively simple to learn. This is the set of lessons I picked, but if anyone has better suggestions we can do that too.
    http://www.programmersheaven.com/2/VB-NET-School

:D:D::D

2. singapore

singapore Level III

i would love to do this :).

VB.net will be my choice of language. The VB 2008 Express Edition would be my program choice.

however, the problem is that i have a current project that need me and my other group member to come up with a program that deals with database programming TOGETHER with VB..i don't think so our fellow neo-friends would want to learn about database programming ya? i think they would much rather learn how to program a cheat program for them to cheat on neopets :(..

3. Phee

Phee Moderator
    Staff Member

Either way, the basics are the same right? I'd be interested in database programming too, since I want to make a program that I suggested earlier, an auction logger. Also, I'm an information systems major, so that sounds right up my alley :)

4. lazypando

lazypando Level IV

does your tutorial have examples?...cause i tend to be pretty lazy with reading and learn only by actually programing D:

anddd just warning you
    i may just give up and do it in C or java instead
    since i wouldn't have to install anything
    =D

5. singapore

singapore Level III

happy to hear that :)
    and if we really end up doing something related to what I have to do, that would be great !

the basics are almost the same i guess, but i would say that the advance part is quite different.

for the auction logger, i would say that it would be easier for it to be exported to a .txt file instead of putting it into a database?

i forgot to mention this, i had my first contact with VB programming like maybe 4 months ago ? XD
    i am really new at this haha. but i hate reading books and stuff. i have tried reading through one or two of them but ended up not understanding them much. i find it easier to find tutorials online and following them :D i feel that doing it this way enables me to understand more.

6. Tally

Tally Level III

Finally someone who also wants to learn. This will be kind of like a study group :p I've been trying to teach myself as well, and have also suffered from lack of self-motivation :( , but this should make things more interesting :)

7. Rundownandy

Rundownandy Level IV

When do you actually plan to start learning?

8. tharoux

tharoux Level IV

If you need help, I also studied SQL and it's working pretty good to link a DB to VB.

9. Lightning

Lightning Administrator
    Staff Member

Yay, more people starting programming :p

You basically learn everything by Googling and asking Tharoux XD

10. Zer0

Zer0 Level IV

smh at the VB.net part :nope:

lol jk (sorta). gl

11. Cacklenub

Cacklenub Level IV

I attempted to learn vb.net and didn't really pick up much. The few programs I made basically had a few key lines of code that were from ricky and then I just had a GUI and some other very simple things.

I was too lost on the simple stuff that didn't involve internet so the actual complex stuff requiring internet connections and the works was just out of the question and didn't bother.

12. Phee

Phee Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah I know...like brain damage. OH WELL.

Starting....now!

13. tharoux

tharoux Level IV

GO GO GO !!!!

14. Phee

Phee Moderator
    Staff Member

Journal Day One - July 22, 2010:

I have downloaded MS Visual Studio 2010. Lesson One completed. :D

If anyone wants it, PM me.

15. Zer0

Zer0 Level IV

Day 9...? lol

16. Lightning

Lightning Administrator
    Staff Member

Lol, what would happen if Phee was Anne Frank? :tehe:

Imagine the gaping holes in the story :O

17. Phee

Phee Moderator
    Staff Member

Dear Diary: Today we arrived in the attic. I'm kind of PO'd that I get like, no privacy, and the lady in the other family is a total brat.

Dear Diary: I made out with Pietr. Cool.

Dear Diary: Shit! Nazis!

The End.

In my defense, I've barely had time to go online, as my cousins are here and I've been showing them around, etc. Then I'm doing the same tomorrow and Sunday, and possibly will actually start for real Monday...

singapore likes this.
  18. chelsea1

chelsea1 Level IV

hahaha. good luck phee. you can do it. keep strong.

keep us updated, i love the regular updates ;)

19. seanf

seanf Level I

Hi Phee, don't think we've spoke before but did you ever get back to learning VB.NET? I've just started myself using a different site to the one you mentioned and was just wondering how you're getting on.