Martial Arts Movies

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Charlie, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Charlie

Charlie Level IV

I've been watching lots of Martial Arts movies lately (getting in touch with the asian in me) and was wondering what are your favorite Martial Arts Movies...

I love Ip Man and Ip Man 2.. Donnie Yen is so beastly. I'm also a fan of the older Bruce Lee films (even though the fighting choreo was rather corny).

Hands down best fight scene ever from Ip Man: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuqGOjP4zlc[/youtube]

2. Commy

Commy Moderator
    Staff Member

Once upon a time in China series is pretty good.
    Police Story also gets shown on the tele every now and then.

Both Jet Li and Jackie Chan's transition to western films have mostly been disappointing.

3. Charlie

Charlie Level IV

Jackie Chan created a niche for himself, with his comedic family oriented style (although I enjoyed Rumble in the Bronx). But I have to agree with Jet Li - his western films have not been as successful, his Chinese films are excellent though.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uvmr7c2LzIc[/youtube]

Moar Donnie Yen Goodness.

4. Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor Newbie

I fail to see why Jet Li is not massively popular -- in my opinion his movies have terrible ad campaigns.
    Fearless was amazing. Also, I just watched Romeo Must Die, and not only is that movie tight, but Aaliyah is HOTT. Two T's.

Drunken Master is a must watch.

5. Commy

Commy Moderator
    Staff Member

Speaking of comedy, Shaolin Soccer was also pretty funny. Stephen Chow is pretty good in movies like that. (Forbidden City Cop, Kung Fu Hustle etc)

6. Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor Newbie

I've never seen Forbidden City Cop. If its anything close to the hilarity of Shaolin Soccer, I'm gonna have to watch it as soon as possible.

And speaking of Shaolin, The Shaolin Temple is a CLASSIC with some great Jet Li kicks.

7. xkrazy

xkrazy Level I

Ha. I grew up on martial art movies. Freakn love it.
    Jackie chan is just funny. love most of his movies.
    My Fav as a child was The Iron Monkey. Even though I watched it a few months ago, it was kinda corney, in a funny way though. Still kinda like it. :)

8. hamesome

hamesome Level II

Not sure if Mortal Kombat is much of a martial arts movie, but i love them :)

9. Commy

Commy Moderator
    Staff Member

Haha, Mortal Kombat was a good film. Not great by any standards, but it was definitely entertaining.

Has anybody seen Jackie Chan's City Hunter movie? This street fighter take off was hilarious.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4Psls1ngwM[/youtube]

10. FishLess

FishLess Level III

I like that part too LOL

Wo yao da shi ge ( I want to fight 10) real epic LOL.

11. Anfan

Anfan Level IV

I watched The Shaolin Temple with my dad in Chinese a little while back, it was really good. Epic martial ats, it makes me realize how much they're skimping on actual skill in a lot of the new stuff. (e.g. the Shaolin remake they did this year, I watched that while on an international plane flight [yay boredom] and the main focus seemed to be on guns)

12. H3nry

H3nry Level III

I like martial arts movies, but I prefer Assassin/ Ninja based ones, not these family movies and stuff.

13. aleister_baum

aleister_baum Level II

I highly recommend thai martial art films.

Tony Jaa is a beast. Ong Bak, Ong Bak 2, and Ong Bak 3 are great. The Protector is fun. Then you have Chocolate. Its about an autistic girl with photo reflexes and can immitate any fighting she seems to watch. There is also another favorite, Power Kids. It is Muay Thai 3 Ninjas.

14. icrimson

icrimson Newbie

i agree, Jet Li deserves more for the movies he has done. I definitely loved fearless and Romeo and Juliet was entertaining. Although i hated Jet li's role in the most recent American movie, The Expendables. They made him seem like a wimp, losing both of his fights. ;o

15. johnnxiv

johnnxiv Level I

Jackie Chan is my favorite actor, he is so funny in his movie