1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rejected for job.. All accounts iced.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by DeNo, Jul 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeNo

DeNo Level III

*WARNING!: This board in risk of turning into a self-pitying emo rant. One or two skinny black jeans and mascara could put it over people...*
    Nahhh. Just Jokes.​

Seriously, i applied for a cadetship (a job fresh outta school into a big accounting firm paying about 30k+ a year. 5000 or so kids apply to each firm) and got into the last stage. What makes it so much more fucking annoying was i knew i was better than pretty much everyone there. All little northie and easte ( in Aus thats the rich surburbs in Syd) princesses and stuff. Mann i swore i absolutely demolished the interviews and stuff, i was proclaimed by my team as team leader. But guess not.

Anyway, in short. I failed, I accept i did. Now lets move on. NF, where to now?

I want a future in business, but especially kinda.. selling personally. I find the thrill of 'closing' ecstatic!

So i was thinking of applying for like Harvey norman or something (Translation from australian: one of those whitegoods stores which sells tvs, whitegoods and shit) but i want something with comission. Maybe door to door? I want to develope my sales technique most of all.

Then I'm aiming for Macqaurie Bank :p hehehehe

Oh, and got iced all 5 accounts. Gave up neopets. But I like this forum too much to leave.

2. SoC

SoC Moderator
    Staff Member

ouch unlucky, bad day :/

Can't you just reapply next year, or take a different route into accountancy,
    thats the career i wish to take and ill be applying next year at 18 for apprenticeship (Sounds same as your cadetship)

3. DeNo

DeNo Level III

Ahh yea. But its called a graduage position then, you will have your degree by then. But instead of like 3000 people applying to one firm its like 10,000-20,000 o_O

and plus.. i knew from the beginning accountancy isnt where i want to be. Its too safe and tame..
    probaly stocks or whatever majkes money fast is where i wanna be.
    Though i probaly will re-apply in the future as a grad *shrug*
    bbut until that 4 years is over, what next?

4. dreamlorde

dreamlorde Level III

Work two mediocre jobs, stack up your cash, buy a silkscreen press, give out a few dozen t-shirts to get your logos/designs out in the public eye, drop circulars at stores and drop/post your name online then proceed to make a killing in your internet store, use that money to open a boring, easily managed, yet profitable business like contractor/auto repair/whatever - just something that isn't mind-boggling but allows you to pay someone $12-$20/hour to make you $80-$100+/hour, use that money to start more small businesses as well as fund experimental projects like selling collector's item jars of sand from all over the world.... and so on, until you're spending most days resting on a boat sipping cold drinks.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck.... if it makes you feel better to hear this - it happens to everyone. I can't even remember how many jobs I was turned down for after being interviewed by people I wouldn't hire for entry-level positions let alone management. All it means is that you ran into stupid. And stupid's all over the place. But eventually you'll get past it. ;)

About getting iced, bro... well, I was just about to say in response to your other post that maybe you should turn off the ABer and the Trophy machine and just play Neopets for a change..... sorry I wasn't quicker. :(

5. Zer0

Zer0 Level IV

:D :D :D
    If only it were that simple B)
    Interesting life plan though

6. dreamlorde

dreamlorde Level III

lololol.... actually, that's exactly how it's done.... the only hard part, for most people, is deciding to be the guy who gets up and does it.

You could be less diverse too... a couple friends of mine, they bought a refrigerated truck together and started their own seafood delivery business 13 years ago. Two buddies, one truck. Easy to get business because they had no overhead, so they easily undercut competition. Their business grew - more trucks, warehouses, employees, bigger warehouses, more employees.... sales pitch shifted from low-low prices to excellent quality and fast delivery. In 2007 they turned almost 40 million profit. They aren't brilliant. Their plan didn't require college degrees or a team of experts. But they're friggin rich. See?

7. DeNo

DeNo Level III

OOH SHIIT. THAT MUST BE IT. It all makes sense, all that unlegit stuff was the reason why i got iced =O .. hahah nahhhh bro. THe only fun in neopets really for me was hacking it, I dont have the skill nor patience you do in getting everything legitly and thus with satisfaction. I derived satisfaction knowing I pushed a button or two and my userlookup looked pimped with trophies. I know i didnt deserve any of it (compared to you) and i got what was coming B) I wouldnt play neopets if i had to do it legitly all again.. I have a 7 year account, but i forgot the password to it. So its just sitting there, forever out of reach. Cbf legitly.

It takes a hard and wisened man to be able to have the nuts to pull that beauty off.. With more nuts than wisdom muahaha.
    Dreamlorde, your a pretty mysterious character. Can you answer me this, are you young or old and possibly rich? If ive overstepped the online boundary of privacy then i apologise ;)
    But i guess im pretty adamant about a career in sales.. its like going for the jugular everytime you work. That sense of achievement when you sell.. its like a drug i guess

So what does everyone think? what should your humble dotdenz persue for his next job?
    any personal experiences to share?

8. skuld

skuld Level I

If you want to hone those sales skills go to a higher end car dealership. Learn all the bits about the cars and go to town :) It is one of those careers where if you are spot on you can make good money in the first year. If it is not your cup of tea it will hold you over while you look around for the refrigerated truck fleet.

9. dreamlorde

dreamlorde Level III

hahaha... the boundaries are where you place them, my friend. Mine are spaced pretty wide. I've been a salesman, actually - it was non-commission, but it was still exciting to see what kind of numbers I could turn, how much I could talk people into parting with, becoming the #1 salesman in that region - it all goes back to that competetiveness, that challenging of self... we're a lot alike. :) P.S. I was making the company $300 to $500+/hour and getting paid.... significantly less than that. :)

I tell females that I'm old enough to be experienced but young enough to be fun, lol. I'm 28.... and usually when I describe myself briefly I just say "I am what I am." I've lived in four different states - Florida, New Jersey, Massachusetts, and Washington. I've been homeless, slept in a car for weeks, lived off the kindness of strangers, written bad checks to grocery stores so I had something to eat, stayed in the dirtiest crack motels, and run for over an hour one way five days a week for months to get to a minimum wage paying job and back again. I've dug ditches, moved furniture, washed dishes, held a sign on the street (yes, you can get paid for that), and managed fast food restaurants, motels, retail stores, and much more. I've been stalked twice (by men), attacked in my car by four guys at 3am in the middle of the street, "jumped" by as many as six guys, and that's as an adult - as a kid I'd been in more fist fights by the time I graduated second grade than Mike Tyson fought in his whole career. I've been in twelve car accidents.
    I had a personal tutor at the age of two. I was offered the chance to go to college for free in 9th grade. I dropped out my junior year and got my GED. I started talking online once to a model who owned her own website and ended up flying across the country to be with her for a year. I've been in love a handful of times, been loved back once, been crucified more than once. I've seen Niagara Falls, Mount Rushmore, the Grand Canyon, Mount St. Helens, the Black Hills, and a lot more in between. I've stayed in five star hotels and drunk Cristal off a girl's body.
    What does it all mean? Heh... I've been around, seen a lot, done a lot, and taken a lot away from what I've been through. Some people think you're the sum total of your experiences, but it isn't so. It's easy to go through something and learn nothing from it... so easy that it happens all the time. You're the sum of what you learn or take away from your experiences. I'm a good learner is all.

And I like to talk too much B)

DeNo likes this.
  10. DeNo

DeNo Level III

Wow. All i can say is wow.
    I'm kinda envious of you, but kinda not. To have lived a life of such variety must have taught you so much. As someone young, thats all i can hope for. To truly live.
    Although i dont wanna get jumped 903948 times and get into car accidents more than i probaly will get laid (nahh, i'll get laid more than that).
    Shouldnt you be excessively and shamelessly rich after all that? a few get-rick-quick-schemes between the bad-chequeing and women?
    Ill give you $5 if you impart some life changing advice with me ;)

morale of the story: no one ask dreamlorde for his life story, cause he'll give it.

11. Smirnoff

Smirnoff Level IV

More people need to live their lives like this. 13 years of education and then another 4-6 years in college/University straight after high school followed by the next 35 years working a 9-5 job to pay off the mortgage, have some kids, get a wife and be divorced. Thats how everyone lives today.

More people need to actually LIVE. I envy you dreamlorde, somewhere in your life you decided you weren't going to follow the crowd, but would instead make your own life the way you see fit.

12. DeNo

DeNo Level III

hehehehe drink to that!

looks like your developing a fanbase dreamlorde

13. dreamlorde

dreamlorde Level III

Yeah.... well, take my current girlfriend for example.... as we encounter situations where life has taught me a lesson that she hasn't learned yet and I offer her some sage advice, she rolls her eyes at me or tells me to shut up. Very rarely does anything I say make a lasting impression on her. She really HAS to go through something in order to learn about it and I'm powerless to spare her any pain or misery. I never had the kind of mentor/friend(?) I try to be for her.... I wonder if I had whether or not I would have listened... :|

I'm usually good for bits of wisdom as circumstances arise, you know? I'm not a guru; I haven't written a book on mapping out your life. I can tell you a few general things that are true regardless of who you are or what path you choose, though.
    You're right - truly living - that's where it's at. I took an entire year off once - quit my job, lived off my bank account, and road tripped. That's living. Now this is the important part - working for someone else, no matter what field you're in, isn't living. Clock in, clock out, yes sir, sorry sir, nice boat you have sir... that's the bullshit. Some jobs are better than that - high level execs, for example - but getting to be a CEO isn't guaranteed. And some people have to be the peon. They just aren't made to run their own show. But if you're better than that - and I think you are - you need to start your own business.
    If you want to learn how to drive yourself harder... I'm not really sure how you acquire a will of iron - I didn't exactly follow a charted course, lol - but I offer you this.... I hate the phrase "was gonna". To me, those two words put together create the most useless phrase ever uttered by mankind. You either do or you don't, you did or you didn't. "Was gonna" means absolutely nothing. If I say I'm going to do something, there's a 100% chance of me following through. If someone tells me I can't do it, I do it faster and with more flair. Most people let little things slide almost daily because to them it seems harmless not to keep small promises to themselves or other people, but I think it creeps into the big picture and brings them down, branches out without them realizing it. If you force yourself to follow through on all the small stuff, try your hardest to keep every promise and do everything you tell your teacher, your mother, and your boss you're going to do, for no one's sake but your own, I think it'll become second nature and you'll become a force to be reckoned with.

I'm not where I want to be yet in terms of excessively and shamelessly rich. It wasn't always my main goal though... I spent a lot of time and a lot of money on other things. But I'm doing well enough that I can't slip backwards anymore and I'll just keep progressing until.... well, I don't know when I'll say "stop" or what I'll do when I get there. I don't sit around thinking about the fact that I could have already been retired now if I'd played it differently. Shit, I'm still young :D

Oh yeah.... there's another thing. I don't waste any time or thought on regret. Even if you screwed up - you apologize, fix it, or get over it, but don't sit around bringing yourself down over the past.

14. corrykid

corrykid Level I

Sounds like a shitty day man.
    Don't give up.

15. angelsgalore

angelsgalore Level I

Be strong man... never give up... I also wen through what you had experience...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.