1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sex Ed?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Rhett, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rhett

Rhett Level IV

When should Sex Education be taught in schools, or should it even be taught at all? What should be taught at what age, should they have to take x amount of weeks every two years?
    *Sub-question* Should condoms be in a fish bowl in the councilors office or something?

I think sex ed should be taught as early as sixth grade, then a refresher in high school. It's the school's job to inform them about it, and it's the parent's job to teach abstinence or whatever. Abstinence is not sex ed.

Any other opinions? Anyone like to elaborate? ^_^

Oh, and I would not mind condoms in a fish bowl. I think they need to be as available as possible. If schools don't provide them, they can find them elsewhere, but if they can't... there is always the pull out method. :yup:

2. mjnskivt

mjnskivt Level III

Hmmmm I would say 8th-9th grade. I think this period is good because it's when the notion first enters the minds of teens. You may know of it by 5th-6th grade, but I don't think teens actually consider *doing* it until around this age.

Just to clarify what the terms mean to me: \/
    In my mind the education component is different than learning what it is. I know I learned of it in 5th grade, but I didn't take a course on education until 9th grade. Learning of it consists of how its done, what the effects are, etc. The education course consisted of different STDs, birth control methods, etc.

3. Rhett

Rhett Level IV

I feel ashamed to say, but where I live we had had four pregnancy's in my class before eighth grade. That's why I think it's best to start about sixth. (This does not include the seldom case of fourth graders being el prego.)
    The reason some say against teaching sex ed so young is "Why would they need it so you? Only a very small percentage of middle schoolers are even having sex!" Another question to as yourself is "What damage can it do?" Learning about sex doesn't mean they'll actually do it.

4. domini212

domini212 Level III

I agree sex ed should be taught in the 6th grade. I'm from NY it was under the subject health class. were u were taught about changes that will be taken in your body in boys and girls. (in high school they do teach u the body parts in detail via cartoon drawing). what is a period. what changes you go through your body? what happen when u have sex? stds. I think parents have this idea that the school is teaching student how to have sex which is not. the also teach students about peer pressure. the dangers of drugs and alcohol. with so many teens getting pregnant it obvious that parents arent talkin to their children so y not have school educate them. And if they are gonna have sex anyway y not use a condom.

5. Rach

Rach Level I

I think sex ed should be taught no earlier than age ten ... younger, you haven't got the full maturity to understand, and you should be allowed to keep some of your childhood naivety. Older than ten, however, and you'll be really confused as to what is happening to your body etc if you have had no information on what exactly puberty is.

6. Kadorama

Kadorama Level I

Altho there should be, there really is no separation of church and state here... as a result theres virtually no "sex ed" taught in this state. I guess they think we're all Mormon and following the rules therefore it doesnt need to be taught... but it does. Some parents have suggested it to their school districts but most dont have a program still. They have a special puberty course around 4-5th grade but thats as far as it goes.

I really think there ought to be something around 6th or 7th grade. Teach 'em what sex is, how to be safe and the dangers/consequences, not just an hour of abstinence preaching. Parents (I being one of them) dont want to admit it but kids are having sex at younger and younger ages. If they're going to do it, at least let it be safe. I dont want to ever find out son's a father at 12-16.
    I never got "the birds and the bees" talk, but when he starts expressing and interest in girls (I assume he'll be 11-12) you can bet Im gonna talk to him.

7. raized

raized Level I

I had sex ed in 8th grade, and I think that was an appropriate time to learn it... a lot of things happen in high school :p:p:p:p

8. Rach

Rach Level I

Can someone please clarify for me what age you are in what grade, so that I understand what others are saying? I'm from Scotland ... ;)

9. Rhett

Rhett Level IV

Kindergarten - 5? Somewhere around that...
    First grade - 6
    Second - 7
    Twelfth - 18.
    Then off to college I go.
    Does that help any? ;)

And you are all making good points, but I have to disagree with the older age. Although the majority is naive, there are a select few who, although they are not emotionally ready, are physically ready to have sex... and they do. Those are the ones who need education to most in my opinion. They get pregnant, or they get someone else pregnant. "Oh, no condom?" "No, I'll just pull out." "... Okay."

10. Rach

Rach Level I

Ah, okay, so I think it should start at around grade 5. :)
    Well, at least learning about puberty that old ... mm, next question ... do you all think that learning about puberty and sex should be taught as 2 different things rather than all under "sex ed"?

11. Rhett

Rhett Level IV

Yes, I do think they should be taught as one thing.
    Puberty and sex 101 should be taught in about sixth, then the specifics of sex should be taught in maybe eighth.
    There is nothing wrong with puberty. There is no such thing as "pre-marital puberty". Everyone goes through it, therefor everyone should be informed about it. With puberty, I think a bit of actual sex ed should take place (only because of those one in a hundred kids who have sex in middle school - and yes, I made that statistic up. I'm sure it's more. Haha)
    Maybe in the early years of highschool, a full sex ed course should take place. Perhaps within a health course.

12. Akoftl

Akoftl Level I

Well we already have that in most schools (at least in those I saw) within 9th and 10th grade. Unfortunately that doesn't hold up very well. the fact is, people are going to claim injustice in education rather than their own stubborn ignorance any day =/

13. Rhett

Rhett Level IV

Yes, but educating the ignorant might help some. xD
    All I can say is that I think it should be taught earlier. ^_^

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Usually, when 5th-7th graders find out about it, they tend to try it. I'd say one coarse in 7th grade, another in 9th. As for the second question, I don't believe there should be. Either kids would be to shy to go and take a couple, or you'd have "those kids" who would take them, blow them up in classes, and make a scene.

15. gugubee557

gugubee557 Level II

I had Sex Ed in 7th grade, 8th grade and 9th grade.

X_x

I'm currently in 9th grade, I don't think they know that they said the same things atleast 3 times...

16. Rach

Rach Level I

I'm not sure if the previous post was spamming, or the question "why?" I suspect it might be the former, but, giving you the benefit of the doubt nova12345, what exactly is it that you're confused about?

17. Villix

Villix Newbie

Hmm it has to be before 13! xD I don't know at what age exactly but it's important for it to be sex education not abstinence only because being realistic how many of those kids with promise rings keep their promise.
    Condoms should be available at school people say it promotes sex but what about a rubber balloon makes you want sex? xD Safety first!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.