1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stemcell research?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Virre, Apr 27, 2007.

?

Stamcell research using human embryos is..

1. Good

14 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Bad

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Not sure

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Virre

Virre Level IV

Is it good? Is it bad? Does the cause justify the means?
    Why?

Share your thoughts.

2. brsana

brsana Level II

Re: Stamcell research?

sure why not, could save lives...

3. Angelika

Angelika Moderator

It's stem cell.

I think it can help a lot of people, but stem cells should not be harvested. Only the stem cells that come from aborted fetuses and misscarriages and such should be used.

4. Summertime_Blues

Summertime_Blues Level III

It's a good idea. Most of the people who said that it was immoral can't do anything about it because they don't have to get it from fetuses anymore, they can get them from the ubilical cord so I think it's a good idea and should be able to save lives.

5. Virre

Virre Level IV

Sorry about that, I even googled the word since it was missing in my dictionary and my native tongue isn't english :p

And very well put =)

6. punkeydew

punkeydew Level IV

I think that it is a good thing.

ALOT of good can come from it. Think of all the new information that this research could provide it.

It the embroys are already aborted or miscarried... then what is the point in getting mad. The deed is already done. You might as well learn from it instead of it being a wasted life.

If I had an abortion I would donate it to science.

There is so much to be learned, if people would just be allowed to take the opportunity

7. onprogus

onprogus Level IV

Alot of good can come of it, and if people want to experiment with them, I dont see anything wrong with getting one healthy sample and cloning multiple times.

8. petunia

petunia Level II

I agree with lbadmus. If it has the potential to save lives, then it would be crazy not to. Abortions are going to occur whether you think it's right or wrong, so why not try to turn the situation into something positive. My husband's grandmother suffers from Parkinson's disease, and seeing her slowly degenerate is hard. Maybe with research, this (and many other diseases) could be cured.

9. x0angelus0x

x0angelus0x Level III

I think it's a good thing. Stem cell can saves lives and many people will not have to suffer.

10. Fendi

Fendi Level IV

I totally agree if something which is basically rendered useless can be used to save millions of lives why the hell not?

11. goldfishrockster

goldfishrockster Level III

My Uncle has very advanced Parkinsons disease and basically the progression of stem cell research is his only hope of ever getting any better. I think it would be great if used to cure degenerative diseases like that as slowly loosing ones sense of self and ones dignity is the worst way to die. My Uncle was a leading professer and former politician, now he cant even go to the toilet on his own.

I dont see why stem cell research is wrong, they're just going to waste otherwise.

12. petunia

petunia Level II

I know your situation. As I said in my previous post, my husband's grandmother, to whom we are both very close to, has had Parkinson's disease for about 15 years. As you said, her only hope of getting better is the progression of stem cell research. Of course, there are medicines, as you no doubt already know, but they are only a band-aid solution and can cause many unwanted side affects, not to mention that while taking these medicines, it is potentially fatal to take virtually any other type of medication.

This poses a huge problem when in situations like hers, because she also suffers from depression, but has to chose which medicine she needs more. She was a very active women in her years before her diagnoses and it kills her not to be able to do the things she loves, and she absolutely HATES the fact that she has to depend on other people now to do even the simplest of tasks.

13. Fendi

Fendi Level IV

Though not the same situation I know what your saying. My mum had breast cancer and was basically rendered immobile and it killed her to not be able to get up and grab a hoover or drive us to school.

14. rarehunternick

rarehunternick Level II

in a way...i suppose stem cell research is ok, but as long as there are some moral limits.

15. Fendi

Fendi Level IV

Thats the problem though everyone has a different perception on morality where do we draw the line.

16. goncalo

goncalo Level IV

Re: ...

Yea, it's all about wether it influences you or not.

17. christinemarie

christinemarie Level II

I'm not really sure about this one.. On one hand it could save a lot of lives, but on the other, it isn't healthy for people to go out and get pregnant just so they'll be paid for a fetus.
    It's confusing. x_x

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.