1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ughm..

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by WildSnorlax, Nov 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WildSnorlax

WildSnorlax Level IV

This debate is sorta being misunderstood. So can someone close? -.-

2. mjnskivt

mjnskivt Level III

Re: Neopet's Nooby Restrictions

I don't think they put age restrictions on to encourage people to stick around, they do it so people have to put in a significant amount of work to achieve something. I think TNT is very conscious of sites like this and others where people sell Neopets stuff for real money, so they have to plan against that. Imagine if you could rs up to r100 as a newbie: people would create an account, rs some super rare, super expensive item, sell it, and let the account be frozen, only to do the same thing the next day.

The same thing goes with the adoption restrictions: a newbie manages to adopt a royal Draik (lol I don't think anyone would ever abandon one, but...) and then sells it, all in one day. The site would be a mess of newbie accounts, legit and unlegit, being iced continuously. If newbies had no restrictions, no one, even if legit, would ever make it past like two weeks because TNT would have to be so paranoid for cheaters.

3. WildSnorlax

WildSnorlax Level IV

Well okay maybe I should change the question. What I am saying is, aside from asking if it's really useful, I guess if it's really good for CLUELESS people.

4. dee123123

dee123123 Level II

I don't know...
    Putting an age restriction for access of a site tempts lots of kids to lie about their age.
    So are Neopets encouraging kids to lie?!

5. Occupied

Occupied Level II

Neopets is just not designed well for newbie players. They've had to battle with ABers for so long now, they have accepted these restrictions, that most newbies, probably aren't even aware of. Once they are however, it can be quite frustrating to know you have to have 4 months of dedication to actually experience what neopets has to offer. However, in turn, this keeps rares even rarer which helps stabilize the neopian economy.
    I think the real problem is neopets is bad design for new players. The first screen is completely cluttered with overwhelming information that makes no sense to a newbie. And the site is so huge, it is hard to decide where to go or what to do. You basically have to learn by clicking everything. I'm not even entirely sure where the help section is in neopets haha.

6. Cacklenub

Cacklenub Level IV

The restrictions are for cheaters and such, like autobuyers, auto adopters, you name it. Although it doesn't work well because people can just buy new accounts that are 4 months old.

It does seem that newbies get random events and things, but most of the people who are honestly new to the site, just play to feed their pet and try and "paint" them. Which is easy, they have a link to create a pet on the left module thing and then the games has it's own link in the site theme.

Also, how many new people to this site would know how to rs or even the point of rsing?? Do you think a person would sit in the pound for say half an hour surfing?? I doubt it, they probably would think all pets would just be blue, red, yellow, and green and then leave in a few minutes.

7. WildSnorlax

WildSnorlax Level IV

But I JUST said...imagine the site is full of NO ONE but newbie players..we're discussing about the NEWBIE players...I also mentioned to pretend the people who knows what to do on neopets are NON-EXISTANT -.-

8. Cacklenub

Cacklenub Level IV

That's not realistic, but if it was, people STILL wouldn't restock, and they STILL wouldn't go pound surf for hours.

The restrictions TNT places really has no effect on people who are honestly new, not just making a new account.

9. WildSnorlax

WildSnorlax Level IV

ASSUMING, there were restrictions, and NO PLAYERS who knows what goes on. They click around realizing there ARE restrictions. You as a NEWB, what would YOU do? Would you STAY, or NOT, would you SEE the long term benefits, or would you NOT, simple question.

10. mjnskivt

mjnskivt Level III

Hehe, you know what happens when you assume.....

But in this case, I don't think anyone would see the long term benefits because neopets does not tell you in any way.
    There's no signs or anything on Neopets saying "You can't see these items until you're account is x months old". The only age restrictions they tell you about are ones for Coltzan's Shrine and shop creation and stuff, like "Your account must be 48 hours old before you can do this".

I don't know if that's what you were going for, but that's what I think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.