1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What constitutes a VWN pet versus a WN pet?

Discussion in 'Neopets Chit-Chat' started by Aemira, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Aemira

Aemira Level III

Sometimes I'm confused as to whether to say a pet I'm trading/selling is WN or VWN name. I know something like say "Alex" would be a VWN pet, but I've also seen people say (and all the names I'll be putting out as examples here will be hypothetical only, even if there's a pet with that name) something like "Yaweleryn" is VWN just because it's got a capitalized first letter and is pronouncable.

So what is your opinion? Do you think to have a VWN pet it just needs a capitalized first letter and semi-pronounceable name?

Also, what are your thoughts on mispellings like "Alecks" instead of "Alex?" Are those also WN?

2. imjustjesus

imjustjesus Level II

Personally I dont get the difference between WN and VWN....The pet either has a nice name or a crap name...And its mostly up to the person receiving the pet if its a good or bad name...

3. Molly

Molly Level III

In my opinion, a pet is VWN is the name is capitalized, easily pronounceable, and less than 7 or so letters. Also, I don't like repeated vowels or unneeded letters.

Personally, I like misspellings of RNs. They would definitely be considered WN at the very least, and I would say VWN as long as it isn't outrageous (ie. Riebbecka instead of Rebecca).

4. stab

stab Newbie

In my opinion, a VWN pet is one that is 5 letters or less, capitalized and pronounceable. Like Loura or Vyn.
    A WNed pet to me is on that may have double letters, is between 4-7 characters, capitalized and pronounceable. Also, it may be a altered spelling of a place, name, or object (i.e. Lhocket or Madelyne)

5. odieboy

odieboy Level II

It's why I never dabble in buying pets.

I like the freedom I get in making my own VWN or WN pets.

But if I were to buy, I would consider any moderately big English word to be VWN (Shadow obviously, Tarantula, Typhloid, Crustacea, etc.)

6. Aemira

Aemira Level III

Hmm, yeah I gotta say I agree with Molly and stab. For me personally I love misspelled real words since sometimes they can seem witty.

rofl, yeah. It's a confusing market. (For me at least). And I guess it really does depend on the buyer to say what a good name is since it's their money hah

7. Nathan

Nathan Level I

Usually, for me anyway VWN pets are pronunciable, 5 letters or less and capitalised.

8. thedup

thedup Level IV

for me, VWN means it has a really good name. That means it has to be interesting, pronounceable and without any numbers. I'd actually say from 7-10 characters is what I look for. Anything shorter than that isn't interesting enough for me. One of my favourite pet names that just got frozen was Kelarys. Does anyone want to tell me that it's not a good name?

9. Kangaroos

Kangaroos Level III

Yeah, I really think the VWN/WN is really dependent on the buyer. Some people might like a certain name better than others. (For example, a lot of people say they liked misspelings/altered spellings, but I, myself, would hate that) But regarding the name Kelarys, I would say its VWN. It IS pronounceable and the word itself doesn't have random letters in it; no silent H's or anything :yup:

10. Phee

Phee Moderator
    Staff Member

Everyone overrates their own pet; Pierillipa etc. is going to be called VWN by their owner, but it's only WN IMO.

My own opinion:
    VWN: Common or badass RWs (Gravity, Spike, Thrill, Dipper), RN (Alex, Anne, Steph), pronounceable and five or less letters and usuallyfollowing the vowel-consonant-vowel pattern (Toro, Ritia, Dalia)

WN: Crap RWs (Container, Polyester, Gravy), long RWs with prefixes and suffixes (Predetermination, Unobjectification, Disobsessiveness), 5-7 letters pronouncable (Halinna, Daffler, Grolio), most 'alternate' spellings (Winnerr, Destroi, Justiss)

Niche, hard-to-place would be unpronounceable and three or less characters (gnm, iun, Svo), numbers (De4th, 8, Winn3r), lower case first letter five or less letters (torro, ritia, dalia)

11. Rena

Rena Level III

What you said. And, for VWN, people usually expect the first letter to be capitalised.

IMO, for VWN, the first letter must be capitalised, and at least one of the following:

1) Common RW
    2) Pronounceable name, three syllables or less
    3) Aesthetically pleasing (e.g. Kalro rather than Kilro)

The last one's very subjective, of course xD

12. Megs

Megs Level III

For me, VWN is a name that is:
    -short (6-7 letters maximum)
    -pronounceable
    -capitalized
    -has no repeating letters
    -has no clusters of vowels
    -does not contain the letter x or z (unless it somehow works, in most cases it doesn't).

Well named usually meets some of the VWN requirements, but never all.

Real words/names fall into a different category for me, I don't rank them based on VWN/WN/DN/BN, just because you really can't.

13. thedup

thedup Level IV

concerning real words, for me, only the very best could be considered VWN. Things like Shadow or Blizzard, which are exciting and clearly ones that would be highly prioritized. Other real words would not impress me at all. I need something that sounds like it could be a name
    As far as Rena's other points, aesthetically pleasing is very important for me, but I would go up to 5 syllables in the right situation, (as with my wonderful royalgirl jubjub) and am completely willing to go to 4 syllables with my names. Whatever sounds good to me, so I agree that in the end it's all up to the individual

14. Kevin

Kevin Newbie

the difference between VWN and WN is something that each individual defines on their own terms. people have completely different standards.