1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what language to choose?

Discussion in 'Code Snippets and Tutorials' started by Kaito, May 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaito

Kaito Level IV

i've been picking up the very basics of vb6, and when i'm asking around for help on other forums, people ask me why not learn VB.NET? or even C++?

which should i learn?

2. HeartLess

HeartLess Newbie

C++...

My suggestion is, if you are looking to seriously and truly learn how to program, you should learn C++...
    VB build up bad programming habits that can not be used in other forms of programming...

If you are looking to do web design and that sort of thing, learn html, then php.

3. Kaden

Kaden Level I

C++ and java are very similar.

for me, Java is my preferred language. its relatively easy to pickup, and was my.... 2nd or 3rd language I tried? o_O

Positives: Java is Multi-Platform, and you can also embed it into web pages, etc.

Negatives: C++ has a few things that i wish java had. one little thing i wanted to do recently, and was dissapointed in, was that i couldnt clear the CMD window without long ass workarounds D:

Java is also difficult to build a GUI for... I haven't tried it in C++, but i definitely recommend you get a good IDE like netbeans or Eclipse if you DO decide to do Java. NetBeans has a GUI Builder for java.

At the end of the day, i would reccomend trying Java and C++. they are both good languages, and it would end up being personal preference. just find the syntax you like.

you can see some of the things i make as i release them. I have an account maker and a neopets fishing program out so far if you just want to look at the syntax.

4. Kaito

Kaito Level IV

do you have any tutorials that you would recommend, for a beginner to java?

5. Kaden

Kaden Level I

Not really, I taught myself everything, just from looking at other code.

but i would highly reccomend you learn the basics such as if/else statements, for and while loops, how to declair Strings, ints booleans, etc.

I would reccomend looking at simple "Hello World" programs to begin with, as they are the most basic... then make random things =)

learn about imports, methods, all that sort of stuff while you are doing the basics.

6. Kaito

Kaito Level IV

maybe you should create a simple tutorial? :p

7. Kaden

Kaden Level I

haha, I'm not a very good teacher... thats why i release whole programs so people can learn from them themselves =P

http://download.oracle.com/javase/tutor ... beans.html

that teaches you the basic helloWorld app in NetBeans. i use NetBeans when ever i feel like having a GUI, as it has a decent GUI Builder.

other then that, I think you should follow the rest of the guides in order on that site =)
    the javaDocs are your best guide there is, as they know what they are talking about =)

8. Kaito

Kaito Level IV

thanks for the link :D never thought of learning java, as everyone seemed to be coding in VB6/VBnet :)

9. Denied

Denied Level III

He said he comes from a land down under! (Maaaate!
    Its ironic that "helloWorld" is mentioned, i did this a few days ago and bam, its posted here...

I liked what i was reading, some terminology gets me confused but me...

I do recommend the tutorials listed above, it starts from the basic with the language and how to change it into a .class...

I need to get your MSN kaden

10. Mitchell_Symonds66

VB.Net and Java.
    It is very popular nowadays.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.