1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

win 7 and mac os x dual boot

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by Heya, Oct 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heya

Heya Level III

I currently have mac os x snow leopard running good on my alienware m15x. But im having problems installing windows 7 in dual boot.
    To install snow leopard, your hdd needs to be formatted to gpt. So i need that, wiping windows 7 of my hdd. But to install windows 7, it says i need a disk formatted to mbr. It won't take gpt, even though the partition is in ntfs format. It just gives an error saying it can't install to a gpt formatted hdd.

I know theres ways to combine gpt and mbr, but i don't really get it, and it doesn't really seem possible in logic on 1 hdd with 1 disk...

Help?

2. RESPRiT

RESPRiT Level I

I would install Boot Camp for Mac and then go from there.

3. tharoux

tharoux Level IV

As far as I know (rocking an OSX86 since 10.4), you need to install windows first. The dual boot will work if you install MAC after. Or get another HDD.

Gotta go, need to fix my dual monitor issue in 10.5.7

4. Heya

Heya Level III

Amazingly, i have snow leopard and windows 7 dual boot working great on my alienware m15x. I even replaced my wireless nic with a mac compatible one. Got everything on both sides including wireless working flawlessly, except sleep mode on the mac side.

5. tharoux

tharoux Level IV

nothing that a modified kext can't solve in theory :)

I still haven't figured out a way to run my dual monitor... It was working in 10.5.2 up to 10.5.4 but it's now broken :(

Oh, and BTW, pretty sure you already know this site but just in case: http://insanelymac.com/

6. Heya

Heya Level III

yea, if your in the hackintosh world, ya should know that site :D
    in theory yes, i have found 4 or 5 of them, none worked.

I gave up on that seeing as everytime i would try it, it would kill the osx boot files. I couldn't boot safe mode, nor off iboot to remove the bad kext. cause when it goes to sleep mode, it moves some of the files to the hdd, and it must being doing something really wrong with them.

7. tharoux

tharoux Level IV

I found a nifty tools if you're afraid to break your OSX install

Download MacDrive for windows. You're HFS+ drive will appear in "My Computer" in full edit mode :D
    From there, if something is broken, you can easily overwrite the extensions folder is S/L/E or in E/E with a working backup.
    It's alot easier than doing it by hand in the console.

8. Heya

Heya Level III

hmmm... that is a good tool, but its not that its not just a bad extension, it does something else to the file system when it goes into sleep mode incorrectly. its weird.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.