1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Abortion: Share your thoughts

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by upriser, Jun 15, 2010.

1. upriser

upriser Level II

Do you agree that abortion is okay? Do you think abortion is considered murder? Please share your thoughts on this touchy subject.

2. 3dee

3dee Level III

I don't think there is anything wrong with abortion. It's not murder to me until they are born. Some may see it another way, but that's how I feel about it. Although if people were just more careful, there wouldn't be a need for abortion.

3. Kyas

Kyas Level I

I agree with abortion in most cases, it angers me like say people just never use protection and get pregnant all the time and have abortions, but if they did use protection and still got pregnant and maybe they're young, i think its ok to abort.

4. Josh21227

Josh21227 Level I

My views on this are very mixed.

If you ban abortion people will still do it, but just in unsafe conditions. If someone is raped and gets pregnant from it, they then have to live with a kid they don't want.

Yet if you allow it the religious people will always complain. But who cares about them. :p

5. uknowmeuknowme

uknowmeuknowme Level I

i believe abortion is fine. I mean like they say its killing something, but the famous saying "is it better to have lived or not to live" it will only get put through pain and if you believe that you are incapable of looking after a child or just not ready then abortion is right (or if your underage) but many people have many opinions

6. lando

lando Level I

Wow really guys? Killing an innocent human being? Because you couldn't close your legs or put a dam condom on? It seems that people these days have no morals. I bet if they baby was a few months older the opinions would totally change.

In response to a rape victim, yes I understand that that is horrible and one of the worst things in the world by far, but you got to understand it wasn't the young ones fault. Why should the baby be punished for something that wasn't there fault?

Also there is something called "Post Abortion Stress Syndrome" it's something that may happened after an abortion. They start thinking if they did the right decision. In serious conditions it haunts them for the rest of there life. People these days are too selfish to realize what they are doing. Doing sex without thinking about the effects.

7. arcrutus

arcrutus Level I

First of all, the vast majority of all abortions are preformed before 13 weeks into the pregnancy. However, the maximum legal time limit that an abortion take place in is 24 weeks.

Now, personally I think that even though a fetus is structurally nearly identical to a human by about week 9-10, it is STILL just a growth inside of you; you could even go so far as to say that it's a parasitic growth if you weren't so bound by our culture and religion. Furthermore, I think that at this stage the fetus is NOT in anyway sentient, meaning that it is NOT aware of itself and therefore cannot truly experience feelings.

Google says that the earliest practical age that a premature baby can be born is 24-26 weeks because the heart is finally developed. And even though that second paragraph makes me seem like a heartless ass, I do have a conscience. I think that the latest an abortion should be legally allowed to be preformed is 15 weeks.

Now, Lando, I understand how you see abortion as a selfish act, and I'm sure in many cases it is. But on the other hand, if a mother has the clarity of mind to realize that the environment she would be bringing a baby into is toxic, then it really is a selfLESS act. No baby deserves less than the best, and if a woman thinks she needs to have an abortion so that she can bring a wonderful baby into the world when she knows it's truly time, then that is absolutely her choice. And NO government or religious body has any right to say any different.

8. lando

lando Level I

The brain is developed first, so that has to tell you something.

Ok I understand about being SelfLESS but how many of those cases exist? What about the baby it doesn't have a say in it? What makes the mother the right person to say it is just or unjust? What if she is not emotionally stable stable?

Here's some facts.

http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/fb_induced_abortion.html

9. arcrutus

arcrutus Level I

Those facts don't give us anything relevant to this conversation right now, it only tells us how many woman between 15-44 had abortions up until 2005... and some other basic stuff.

And as I said I don't think that the fetus is a conscious living thing, it doesn't know it's in the womb til far later than 13 weeks...which is when the majority are preformed. So it doesn't know it can have a say in anything.

The mother is the ONLY person who has the right to say it is just or unjust, and if she's emotionally/mentally unstable, all the more reason not to bring a child into the world!

A baby is something that needs complete devotion, and you need to be well prepared to give it. I'm not saying you should just run around getting abortions like crazy, but if something completely shitty happens (i.e. condom breakage and horrible luck) and you are responsible enough to know you can't provide a child with the best life you can possibly give it; then I believe the mother has the right to decide.

10. lando

lando Level I

So killing it is better then putting it in an adoption center?

11. arcrutus

arcrutus Level I

No, that's where the decision comes in.

It's seriously a woman's choice man. Why should a government be able to rule a girl womb?

Plus. Overpopulation is a serious concern ;)

12. lando

lando Level I

I can't break you, you can't break me.

My mother brought me into this world. Its a ghetto ass place where I live. So she could kill me to show that she made a mistake of bringing me to a horrible world? It's for the better right? I mean who would allow there son to live in a place like this?

referring back to the site

"Fifty-four percent of women who have abortions had used a contraceptive method (usually the condom or the pill) during the month they became pregnant. Among those women, 76% of pill users and 49% of condom users report having used their method inconsistently, while 13% of pill users and 14% of condom users report correct use.[8]

Forty-six percent of women who have abortions had not used a contraceptive method during the month they became pregnant. Of these women, 33% had perceived themselves to be at low risk for pregnancy, 32% had had concerns about contraceptive methods, 26% had had unexpected sex and 1% had been forced to have sex.[8]"

Out of the 54% that did use contraceptive, Half or most used it wrong. plus the original 46% that didn't even use anything. That gives you about 70% that either did not use, or did not contraceptive correctly.

13. Kaurevir

Kaurevir Level I

I would have to say that whether a couple used contraception properly has little to do with the issue of abortion. The entire point of the matter is that the woman got pregnant. Regardless of how irresponsible either (or both) she or her partner were when going at it, the argument is not about how dumb these people are.

Also, I would have to agree with Arcrutus in that I believe that it should be the woman's choice, not the government's.

14. Rundownandy

Rundownandy Level IV

I think it should be illegal unless the baby is putting the mother's life at risk. Otherwise, it's murder..

15. Kaurevir

Kaurevir Level I

I would argue that it is not murder up until a certain point (the consensus is 20-is weeks, I believe). After the baby becomes sentient, I would agree with you, abortion is wrong at that point. However, when the thing is really nothing more than a bundle of cells duplicating, I don't think people should consider it to be morally wrong.

16. Rundownandy

Rundownandy Level IV

Yea, well that's what I meant. I assumed people would interpret my definition of murder to be after 20 weeks, when it is no longer just a bunch of cells forming.

17. Kaurevir

Kaurevir Level I

Well, we all know what happens when people assume. Anyway, I would agree with you, then.

It's funny though, technically I put my mom's life at risk. |D

18. powerof0

powerof0 Level III

While the rights of the mother certainly have to be preserved, it is a little difficult to think of a 20 week old embryo as inhuman because by then they already look surprisingly developed. Perhaps abortion should only be allowed until the 12th week, as in some European countries.

19. Badge

Badge Level II

I don't think a abortion is the right way to go but that's my own belief.

If it was up to me the only reason anyone should have a abortion is if the baby will in the end harm the mother or be born with defects.

20. Grimwolf08

Grimwolf08 Level I

Abortion is a very touchy subject. I can see from either side of it, really. I think there are instances, very very few, that warrant an abortion. However, for the most part, I believe it the wrong thing to do.