1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by statter, Dec 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saint

saint Newbie

Hell yeah!!!
    Loved it, absolute must see!!!

2. GrapeFruit

GrapeFruit Level IV

Glad someone else saw it the way I did :D

3. Rhett

Rhett Level IV

The movie is Fern Gully.

4. daFalco

daFalco Level III

Anyone see some parallels with this movie and District 9?

5. thedup

thedup Level IV

saw it today with friends, and it was an excellent movie. I loved that it was nature vs greed, because I recently wrote a song about that very subject and I thought that it was a really awesome coincidence
    I have some criticisms, where are probably the main reasons it won't make my favourite movie list, but overall I greatly enjoyed it
    one criticism that I do want to mention is that I don't think the wheelchair really worked for him in the story. they also never explain how he got in it, but while they had to give him a reason for no longer being in the army, his lack of working legs sort of cheapened the experience of his other bodies journey, since if he had been able to walk, it would have been more about what the other world represented that had him give himself completely to his other life.
    that is my opinion, feel free to disagree
    but overall, the graphics were stunning and I did enjoy the storyline
    oh, and one other thing, when the na'vi walked on the ground, the ground would glow for a bit, which to me seemed like a really unsubtle representation of the carbon footprint

6. purple315

purple315 Level III

i just saw it. I'm surpised because it was actually pretty good.

7. Commy

Commy Moderator
    Staff Member

Anfan likes this.
  8. purple315

purple315 Level III

That's hilarious and kinda true. I <3 failblog

9. thedup

thedup Level IV

wow, reading that you can almost just leave out the fern gully connections. I still think it's more of a combination of the two though

10. Commy

Commy Moderator
    Staff Member

11. thedup

thedup Level IV

I love that! I think it actually made me like the movie more. And it had a lot of really good points, except that I think they didn't show him capture the super badass dragon because it would have been embarrassingly easy. he takes him by surprise, sticks his hair in, and that's it

12. Heather

Heather Level IV

LOL Dang.. that kind of ruins the movie for me right there. I'm glad I saw it before I read that. It definitely makes it less original.. but the graphics are still amazing! XD

13. Elhoof

Elhoof Level III

eh, good movie but honestly I think it is way way overhyped which is why when I left the movie I found it wanting. Spectacular scenery that really shows off what 3-d can do (and for that alone probably well worth the watch) but so lacking in story imo that it hurts..

I basically disagree with all my friends but it just seems showing what the next generation technology is gonna be able to do, I mean if you take a look at the sci-fi genre technology has made the CGI in the New star wars movies asthetically better (theoretically) but a legendary movie like a new hope or return of the jedi had more going for it than just one element which is why most people think old star wars > new star wars (admittedly not a perfect example). Personally if possible I would have enjoyed a movie like Final Fantasy: Advent Children in 3-D much more than I enjoyed avatar.

I'll take another perspective, what kind of epic quotes are there from Avatar that just make you tingly? other great movies mostly have something like that "Andy Dufresne - who crawled through a river of shit and came out clean on the other side.", "do or do not, there is no try" "luke I am your father" (this one needs context), "I choose the matrix", "an offer he can't refuse" , "Hello Clarice". Many of you may be able to instantly recall what film and the context straight away. What does avatar possibly have that can compare? "You are not in Kansas anymore. You are on Pandora,", the i see you you see me stuff? Obviously actions and silence can be just as if not more effective than dialogue, but I highly doubt that this movie will stand the test of time like truly amazing films do (even if 3-d tv's become prolific).

I've probably over-reacted cause high grossing films are not necessarily the "best" films but that fact in itself still irritates the hell out of me.

14. thedup

thedup Level IV

you bring up some good points, and I'm inclined to agree with you. This movie has no lasting quality, once technology improves again, nobody will talk about this movie anymore. It will spend a very small time in the spotlight. so I guess it's good for James Cameron that everyone is watching it now

15. Lily

Lily Level I

I was going to go see it buuuuut it didn't happen, which is okay with me. It definitely doesn't look like my type of movie. I'll probably see it when it comes out on DVD.

16. lanabubalo13

lanabubalo13 Level II

Avatar is only $2 million away from catching up to Titanic as the highest grossing movie of all time....crazy James Cameron.

17. thedup

thedup Level IV

I didn't even know the titanic still held that title. not bad at all
    but I'm also surprised the movie is doing THAT well, even though I knew it would do very well. I still say that looking back on it maybe 10 years from now there won't be anything worth mentioning about it

18. Charlie

Charlie Level IV

[​IMG]

jk Movie was perrty guuuuud

Sam Worthington's makin a name for himself

19. LightTiger

LightTiger Level IV

i don't like that genre of movies(scifi)

but i think pretty good. 9.9/10

20. Rhett

Rhett Level IV

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.