1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bottled Water

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by kittymeow, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phee

Phee Moderator
    Staff Member

LOL, even though you might be drinking lead?xD

2. turato

turato Level III

what the hell? tap water has lead in it?

3. Phee

Phee Moderator
    Staff Member

Read my post at the too of this page for the full thing, but basically:

Pipes are made with lead, and when water sits, the lead mixes in with the water. That's why you're supposed to run your water for a while before using it to drink or cook with. At least, that's what the guy who installed our pipes told us- I'm not sure if it's applicable where you live. Though it probably is- I live in a very affluent county and town, so it's not like the town can't afford to get good pipes or anything, that's just how it is.

4. turato

turato Level III

LOL omg, now i know why my neighbor's tap taste like crap when i drink from it. ew man thats just sick

on topic. i dont think they should ban drinking water now

5. Noob

Noob Newbie

I hope they dont ban bottled water, cause thats basically the only thing i drink.

6. Commy

Commy Moderator
    Staff Member

You do realize that they put fluoride in water because it's good for your TEETH. If it wasn't good for you, I wonder why it's commonly used in higher amounts in toothpaste? And chlorine isn't bad for you in the amounts they put in. It kills the bacteria and microbes in the water. Not all water pipes are made from lead, only the older pipes but modern houses use pure tin and copper to eliminate lead hazards. You should probably get your pipes replaced. And, depending on where you live, the water tastes different. Where I live, the water tastes delicious. And charcoal energy may not be as clean as we would like it, but it is more readily available and cheaper. As for wind farms, they are not efficient enough to support a large percentage of the country. It is limited to the variable power, which means there has to be a back up power source when there is no wind blowing. Geothermal energy is not a renewable source, as the heat will not last forever, and constructions of such geothermal plants can be devestating for the surrounding environment due to seismic activity from drilling, and said plants also emit carbon dioxide, nitric oxide, and sulfur. The other examples are just too inefficient to supply the continuosly growing population of the whole world.
    So we'd like to be cleaner, but being realistic, it isn't possible at this stage.

7. neopetter

neopetter Level II

Thanks go to use this one also never seen that site

8. Phee

Phee Moderator
    Staff Member

That's the point of having so many different options. In the south west, it's sunny all the time, so solar energy would be best. Around the great lakes, and subsequently the Mississippi, hydropower is readily available.

There are so many examples that I can't begin t o use, but suffice it to say that I live in te Northeast, I have solar panels, and they're doing just fine.

9. Virre

Virre Level IV

Slightly off topic, but NASA has actually been able to create solar panels that can be painted on houses. You can read more about it here. They're trying to make it cheaper, but it's a big step in the right direction.
    Also, scientists have come to the conclusion that the pink solar panels are just as effective as the blue ones, although are 25% less expensive to produce! More info.
    Progress is being made. =)

10. Phee

Phee Moderator
    Staff Member

And pink is so much prettier. :D

11. she_devil101

she_devil101 Level IV

That's actually REALLY interesting. But I'm not sure how this would benefit those who live in rainy climates, where sunshine is minimal... But then again I suppose UV rays can get through clouds, so I'd imagine sunrays could somewhat reach solar panels regardless?

12. Phee

Phee Moderator
    Staff Member

On cloudy days, there's still 30% of the sunshine that there is on clear days. Obviously much less, but still some. In rainy areas, they could use other types of eco-friendly renewable sources, like dams or hydroplants along rivers.

13. Milanos

Milanos Level IV

xD That's stupid if they ban that. People will just fill some bottles themselves.

I'd never buy bottled water. Water out a crane is just as good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.