1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drugs?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Virre, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Commy

Commy Moderator
    Staff Member

Then your government has been misleading you. You do not become addicted to drugs once you start. If you've read some of the testimonials in this thread, some people have tried it, but haven't become addicted.
    Does that sound like someone who has recovered from a marijuana addiction? Not at all, it sounds like someone who has experimented, but has not allowed drugs to take over their lives.
    No, you can use drugs in the long term without becoming addicted. If in use in moderation, and carefully. If you take an amount of LSD once a month, that's using it in moderation, and you won't become addicted. But there are some highly addictive drugs, and that's why researching drugs is part of what I think is responsible drug use. You would steer clear of the ones that are highly addictive. I'm not going out there and telling you to use drugs though. They are illegal after all.

2. natskaya

natskaya Level III

Almost every drug can have a spiritual or medicinal purpose. Heroin was initially synthesized in order to help people overcome morphine addiction. Methamphetamine is still prescribed today for the morbidly obese who would die if they weren't able to lose weight. Taking any drug you don't need could be considered recreational - Vicodin, for instance, is vital for people dealing with pain after surgery, but it also has the potential for abuse.
    As for whether or not it's possible to use drugs responsibly, according to this site (http://www.teendrugabuse.us/teendrugstatistics.html) by 12th grade over 50% of teenagers have tried an illicit drug. There would be an absolutely STAGGERING quantity of drug addicts if it were not conceivably possible to use drugs without becoming addicted.
    I'm sure that many of you have parents that drink wine or beer. Alcohol is a recreational drug, but nobody in their right mind would accuse someone who has a glass of wine with dinner of being a junkie.

3. derrick

derrick Level III

well...lets just say ive had bad expierances with people around me using them...but i think marajauna skould be legual...but not exstocy,heroin,crack.

4. Virre

Virre Level IV

Oh sorry, of course. =)

It would include legalised research, in a much broader way than what is currently available. During this time, research for what use recreational drugs might have (both medical and psychological), what ammount of the drug that is best suited and what the long term effects of the drug is.
    The next step would be to set up age restriction, preferably even create a psychological and physical test so that the drug isn't handed out to someone who has a mentality that wouldn't be able to handle the drug. These people would however be able to have their trip with a physician current. Maybe even everyone's first use would be monitored by a physician, in order to get a prescription?
    After that, only pharmacies would be allowed to sell the drugs, and you would need a special license in order to purchase them.
    One could argue that people might still resell the drugs, but this would be just like some people buy ciggarettes for minors, or sell them alcohol.
    I'm no one to actally form a plan for how to legalise drugs the best way, but these are some thoughts that could be taken into consideration if there was ever a serious discussion by politicians about legilised drugs.

You're right, the withdrawal is a problem.
    But most people that use drugs do not have these problems, as they're not into the "heavy" drugs. LSD has also been successful in curing both alcoholics and drug users, without exchanging one addiction with another.
    I do not wish for the most dangerous and addictive drugs to be legalised, but I see very little harm in the other ones.

5. derrick

derrick Level III

but i think its best if we all just stay far away from those things! :yup:

6. cardenal

cardenal Level III

I like that idea, though the one thing I would say is that they should put a limit on the time that people can use the drugs for [eg. 2 weeks every month, with a 2 week break] because continuous drug use is what causes most of the damage

7. soccermadness90

soccermadness90 Level III

how will LSD help in alcohol addiction? aren't they two different kind of things.
    I understand how milder tobacco helps stop smoking addiction but LSD stop alcohol addiction?

8. Virre

Virre Level IV

Yes, I agree. Otherwise there would be a whole lot of people just buying everyday and reselling, as well as creating addicts if you were allowed to get as much as you wanted.

To be honest, I have no idea exactly how it helped.
    I can think that it might have been the psychological effects, you examine your personality and realize some of the bad habits you have. You're also very exhausted mentally, after a trip, so you're not in the moods for any drugs (including alcohol) for the next couple of days.
    Again, I'm not sure exactly how it worked, but I'm not making this up. Reasearch from the sixties or seventies showed that LSD could help in drug and alcohol rehab.

9. Commy

Commy Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah, Virre, you're right. It doesn't help you in a physiological way, but it's more used as a means of psychotherapy. I'll quote from a study that was published in an academic journal
    . This was a relatively recent study, where a doctor revisited the studies taken in the '50s. Essentially, the thought is that drugs such as alcohol are used to forget about things, to escape from your troubles and reality. But LSD may instead produce repressed subconscious material, which may force the user to deal with their troubles. The studies taken in the 50s showed that using LSD had a success rate five times higher than the Alcoholics Anonymous, but due to the debatable methodology of the experiment, there is no real conclusion that LSD effectively treats alcoholism.
    If you were to use it to treat alcoholism, it would probably be best to do it in the company of someone who can protect you from harming yourself, such as an experienced therapist, or even a friend. But if you do it on your own, it may be used incorrectly and could result in unwanted consequences.

10. ali913xx

ali913xx Level III

I don't doubt that some cases of drug use are completely harmless; however, the reality of it is that legalizing drugs even under specialized circumstances or only the 'harmless' one's would be much to messy of an affair for a government to tackle. Some of the regulations you suggested, Virre, made a lot of sense, but I have doubts that a government would really go through the trouble of implementing all those rules and putting a lot of effort into carrying them out for a legalization that would cause an uproar in the country and not necessarily improve society. At least if this were to happen, it's a long time coming. I also think a stronger argument would be required for why they should go through all that trouble in the first place. I know there are arguments towards how harmless drugs can tend to be on certain people, but what would be a strong positive aspect to legalizing some drugs?

I'm sure that holds a lot of truth; however, that doesn't sound like a typical drug users schedule. I find it hard to imagine someone waking up one morning and going 'Oh cool, it's the fifth! Acid day, whoopee!' It's my prediction that he or she would be wanting it long before the month is over.

11. soccermadness90

soccermadness90 Level III

That was what i was trying to say earlier. It would be hard to imagine such a thing happening.
    However if it does happen, possible according to the earlier argument, it would be a good thing.
    In fact an excellent thing as it would help in self reflection and self rectification with

12. cardenal

cardenal Level III

Thats why I'll never trip without a baby sitter. and I won't let my friends do it either. I'll make sure that either I'm there, or someone else I trust is there if it's their first time, or I think there's any chance of them having a bad trip

13. Spawned

Spawned Level I

Actually i'm against all drugs that can cause sequels or high dependency ... i know cafeine's a drug but hey man , if we can't drink our coffee when cakin up , what's going on here uh ^^

14. Linny

Linny Level I

what is "Drugs"?

alcohol? ... marijuana?

In my country, the federal police (similar FBI) informed "There is extratc of marijuana in the Coke"...

i drink coke... i'm addicted.... ?? o_O

Firts, define "Drugs". After, we debate this. =X

15. Virre

Virre Level IV

Well in my last few posts, I clearified that I was talking about illegal recreational drugs and what use there might be for them.
    I hope that's enough to get you started =)

16. Linny

Linny Level I

ok.. xD

i say (... wanted say) alcohol isn't illegal but it's drug! It cause dependence as some drug!
    Why is alcohol legal? @_@

i think better make ALL drug illegal. x-x

I'm radical.

17. Spawned

Spawned Level I

are you crazy ... what about my coffee :(

18. noncheatercheater

I wonder what would happen if cigarettes were officially illegal?

But instead, the punishments would gradually get harsher and harsher for having them/smoking them..

19. Spawned

Spawned Level I

omfg ... that would suck cuz im totally addicted to em too lol

20. Linny

Linny Level I

xD

i'm addicted... in neopets! :maha: