1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

God or evolution ?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Milanos, Oct 10, 2007.

?

God or evolution ?

1. God

49 vote(s)
    22.1%
  2. Both

66 vote(s)
    29.7%
  3. Evolution

108 vote(s)
    48.6%
  1. Parisdirt1

Parisdirt1 Level III

Creationism might be one-sided, but the same thing can be said about Science and Evolution. They both have books about the subjects. Both think each side it the right one, and the other is wrong. That's why this is a weird subject since BOTH sides are stubbornly one-sided. Might as well ask Chicken or the Egg, Which came first?

~Parisdirt

2. mjnskivt

mjnskivt Level III

I think that evolution has much more evidence than creationism. You can look at things today and see commonalities in all of them, like bone structure, method of reproduction, etc. All these things point to common ancestors, which in turn have other things in common with other ancient organisms, and so on and so on. This all seems like pretty strong evidence to support evolution.

Whereas the only evidence of creationism is a single book written by several people hundreds of years after the events contained in it supposedly took place.

In essence, evolution has tangible evidence that can be found throughout the world, while creationism relies on written tradition of one group of people.

3. Parisdirt1

Parisdirt1 Level III

There isn't just one Religion, and not only 1 God. There are many different 'Bibles' from different cultures around the world that don't recognize Jesus as their savior, but another supreme being. If you put them all together you can say that maybe those people are onto something....

If there was so much evidence pointing to Evolution we wouldn't be having this debate. :/
    Until then this debate will never end.
    Though I might be defending God, I don't believe in God, I only hope there is one. :)

~Parisdirt

4. mjnskivt

mjnskivt Level III

I think the reason this debate still goes on is because evolution is a relatively new theory that is still being researched. Especially compared to religion, which is thousands of years old, evolution is the new kid on the block, so of course people are going to be skeptical.

But back to the actual debate, you're right. There's a handful of different books that contradict themselves over and over, vs. a theory that's (I still stand by it) supported by physical evidence, which is completely lacking for any religion. :p

Call me a cynic, but I'll always side with the guy that can show me the proof rather than the guy who says he has proof. :D

5. Parisdirt1

Parisdirt1 Level III

It wouldn't be a theory if it had real "physical" evidence. It would then fact and no longer a need for this topic. But since it isn't a fact, and only a theory based on opinions of scientist, this will only end till one or the other is fact. Not just someones words.

~Parisdirt

6. mjnskivt

mjnskivt Level III

Ok so maybe theory isn't the right word, but there is definitely physical evidence that supports evolution. Go to a museum and look at dinosaur fossils, go to a zoo and look at a gorilla, those are both examples of evidence of evolution.

If you're on the fence about evolution and religion I recommend reading the God Delusion by Richard Dawkins. He's a bit extreme in his views but he makes several valid points.

7. Commy

Commy Moderator
    Staff Member

There has been empirical evidence for microevolution, so in terms of that, we know it exists.
    As for macroevolution, no, we haven't observed it, as it spans thousands upon thousands of years.
    And while we haven't observed it, it isn't just based on the opinions of scientists. There are a lot of things that support the theory. There have been so many studies on genetic drift and natural selection, including fossils, so the theory has been made that fits best with the evidence that we have found. While I could give some huge lectures about fossils, there are some lesser known evidence of macroevolution. An example would be the existence of ribosomal rna, and how it can be found in all living cells, and so a phylogenetic tree can be made from it, stemming from the last universal common ancestor.
    Another would be if you look at the anatomy of such mammals as whales and dolphins, some of them have been found with legs. This supports that they evolved from land mammals.
    It is possible that God exists, but through the advancement in science, religion is getting left behind as a reason of how we came to be.

8. dropkicka619

dropkicka619 Newbie

Evolution. I dont really think its fair to believe in both because of the enormous debates and arguments that always go on between people of Science and people of Religion. I prefer the science side because its...understandable and solvable. Religion is just a belief system with no hard facts. (For the most part)

9. kimeraaol2

kimeraaol2 Newbie

I might be super ignorant asking this question, if so sorry :) but didn't Darwin write a letter or something before his death that said he didn't believe in his own theories? I can't remember it exactly, but i remember hearing something about it.
    I like to believe there is a God. I'm pretty sure there must be some sort of higher being, because we had to come from somewhere. Even if we did evolve from micro organisms (if evolution were true), where did they come from? Where did all the matter in the universe come from? There's no way to know. It's all a mystery still to scientists, theres no way to explain it.
    Thats just my opinion ;)

10. gpg_prodigy

gpg_prodigy Level I

evolution is what makes the most sense to me. Science is what that disproves all mythical facts and it is the way to go. I never been much of a religion guy.

11. surreptitious

surreptitious Level III

For the record, this accurately sums up my beliefs about just about everything. EVERYTHING.

http://www.snorgtees.com/images/WhichCa ... lpic_1.gif

If you understand it right away, like I did when I burst out laughing in the middle of a very serious lecture in my bio class, I love you. :)
    If you spend a bit of time looking at it and eventually get it, I love you then, too.
    If you don't get it at all, I love you anyway. But I reserve the right to poke fun.

mwahs.

12. DeNo

DeNo Level III

OKAY GUYS.
    IF YOU DONT BELEIVE IN EVOLUTION.
    HOW THE FUCK DO YOU EXPLAIN POKEMON.

/GG guys. Discussion over.

hahahahahaha

13. seulevie

seulevie Newbie

too true. :)
    (clearly life imitates what is understood of pokemon, and not vice versa)

14. surreptitious

surreptitious Level III

Pokemon IS real life.
    Ash is totally my boyfriend.
    He got me a Flareon for my birthday.
    His name is Fluffy.
    I wuv him.
    <3

Edit:
    Oh, and...erm...I'm on topic... Either way, both exist.
    There's basically proof of evolution, so maybe God caused that, and his "seven days" are just longer than everyone elses.
    Or we evolved, and then we made God evolve to explain our evolution. Organised religion, though it caused a lot of death in more "recent" history, probably contributed to our survival as a species at some point in time.

15. Bacardi84

Bacardi84 Newbie

I think both are plausible.

Science and evolution explain the majority of existence, but not everything. Religion can fill in the gaps and I believe that it is entirely possible that another higher being, be it simply an alien or more controversly an omnipotent presence such as "God" may well have set things like evolution into motion, allowing things to proceed naturally except where intervention was required and He help guide things along.

Theres no reason why human life isnt just some astronimical experiment where things like the laws of physics are just parameters put in place and the universe and everything in it is there for His creations' amusement.

Time is relative so although the Bible on first glance my seem rediculous to a scientist or a believer in Darwinism, especially the statement that God created the heavens and Earth in 7 days, all one needs to think about is who's definition of a day is being used? Movies do it all the time, aliens talking to humans about hours and days, where that time measurement is very much based on terra-firma and the rotation of our one little spec around the sun.

Look at what kinda things we can already do with genetics and robotics. Look at Sci-Fi. What used to be fiction is now fact. What is currently is probably just a few decades away from reality. Biology bay be His form of nanotechnology.

Nothing is impossible imho.

16. GhettoNeopet

GhettoNeopet Level II

I consider myself somewhat of a humanist, so I'm going to have to choose Evolution.
    I just can't believe their is a God. The facts just aren't in his favour, sorry.

17. krilas

krilas Level II

I'd go with evolution since I'm an atheist.

18. interhacker

interhacker Level IV

I don't believe, to say i dont believe in god or atheism i just don't believe in anything, why speculate about something that can never be proved.

19. surreptitious

surreptitious Level III

This is going to sound sort of harsh, and I swear that I don't really mean it as such. You have to believe in something. Your head would asplode if you didn't. You can believe in yourself or gravity or nature...anything can be considered a "religion," if we look at things logically. If you believed in nothing, you wouldn't be able to do anything. So maybe you don't believe in God/gods/atheism but there's no way that you don't believe in something.

20. interhacker

interhacker Level IV

So you mean you have to believe in something in order to function or move on/forward ?

All i believe in is that one person can change my life.

I have been with my girlfriend for 4 years, i live with her...

But since i started high school to now ( TEN years later) there`s always been one girl i can never forget about, i still think about her everyday, i even dream about her, i never went out with her and shes not "model material" but i can never stop thinking about her.

I find everyday to be good because i still think of her... don't know why or how.. but.....