1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

God or evolution ?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Milanos, Oct 10, 2007.

?

God or evolution ?

1. God

49 vote(s)
    22.1%
  2. Both

66 vote(s)
    29.7%
  3. Evolution

108 vote(s)
    48.6%
  1. surreptitious

surreptitious Level III

Yeah, I meant that you had to believe in something to progress. Without belief, you would have nothing.
    Oh, no. I think that I learned something from philosophy class. :/
    Anyway, long story short is that really, you know very little: most of what you consider to be knowledge is not knowledge. You don't really understand it, and you certainly didn't come to the conclusions all on your own. If you're really into learning about this kind of stuff, I recommend Plato to begin with. But it takes forever to even make the littlest amount of progress.
    Anyway, I'm a little bit off topic, so I'll just summarize by restating with a twist (oh dear, now I've learned something from English). Everyone believes, moreso than they can possibly imagine. You really don't have a choice.

2. incanmage

incanmage Newbie

Evolution doesn't explain the origin of life.

It doesn't explain consciousness, and, despite some heroic efforts, it doesn't explain morality. I'm not making a God-of-the-gaps argument arguing that because evolution can't account for it, therefore God did it... but neither should we submit to the atheism-of-the-gaps, that holds since science explains some things, it can surely explain everything.

As a Christian, I am constantly searching for the truth. Evolution is a powerful theory, but is far too incomplete, and makes far to many vastly unsupported assumptions.

3. Smelly

Smelly Level IV

And Christianity is such a complete explanation.

God, this thing, created everything.

What created God?

4. incanmage

incanmage Newbie

It is complete if you believe in it....
    As a christian, you ask me where life originated, I has a response that I whole heartedly believe in. Evolution cannot offer that. I do not discount evolution at all. But it still does not explain origin. I am not someone who thinks that the earth is only 6,000 years old. The science does not support that, but the important thing that is that I think God DID it.

5. Tricia

Tricia Level IV

Are you a nutter? o_0

You're saying that your theory is right because you believe it, and our theory of evolution is wrong because you don't believe in it.

6. incanmage

incanmage Newbie

I have not said you are wrong because I don't believe it. As humans, we are all capable of being wrong. It take you much more faith to believe in Evolution, than it takes me to believe in Creation.

7. Tricia

Tricia Level IV

How can you say that it takes more faith to believe in evolution than it does to believe in God? What are you basing that on? You don't know how much faith it takes any one person to believe in anything. There is no way of knowing that; it's just not quantifiable.

For me, you're just summing the whole religious attitude that I dislike. That blind belief that you are right and those who believe in evolution are wrong. Throwing comments out there that you just can't back up...

8. incanmage

incanmage Newbie

I can very easily back up my point of view....

Please keep in mind that I have only stated my viewpoint, and have not insulted any of you, or made accusations of your motives, i would appreciate if you could show the same respect to me.

For those who follow the Bible, and Christian thought, It is very easy for us to believe in the things that science cannot prove. When we are asked "How did life come to be" we have a definite answer (definite according to our faith). For an Atheist/Evolutionist there are innumerate theories/explanations regarding origin of live, and equally innumerate ways to explain how we got where we are...

I believe that to subscribe to a evolutionary basis with infinite variables for the world around us takes much more faith than attributing the world to a Creator.

9. Tricia

Tricia Level IV

So, you're saying it's easier for you to believe in a God because there is a definite answer? And what about the hundreds of other religions around the world all subscribing to different Gods? I would think there are probably more religions/branches of religions than there are theories of evolution.

Have you studied every religion in the world and decided Christianity is the correct one? Or was it just the first one you came across? The one you were born into maybe?

10. Zack

Zack Level II

Couldn't agree more, that's the thing that irks me about strongly religious people. They all assume that their religion is right and all others are wrong without even knowing the next thing about said religions. Then there are the ones who barely know anything about their own religion...they're a bucket of fun.

I dunno, I believe in evolution, but once you go back to a certain point you're stuck in a "what came first, chicken or egg" kind of predicament. If you believe in the big bang, then you could ask what created the big bang, and what was there before that. Some point down the line I believe something happened that we can neither explain or comprehend. Whether this was "god" or a giant magical elephant, you're always left wondering who created that.

So in short, I'm agnostic lol.

11. incanmage

incanmage Newbie

Actually friend, I have probably studied religions more than most on this forum. I was raised atheist/agnostic. It was not until college at the U of M when studying philosophy, which I ended up Majoring in... (How many philosopy Majors play neopets? haha...) that I became fascinated with world religions, and later placed my faith in Christianity as it logically and completely answered every question I could encounter about humanity and the world.
    We do not need to debate this on this here.... it is an endless argument that will not result in either of us changing our minds on what we hold to be true. All I have been doing was pleading my case for the belief that I have, not trying to insult anyone else's position or intellect, as so many have been doing to me.

I agree with you 100%.... You can imagine how much it frustrates me when I see these people. I have spent years seeking answers, studying, and contemplating, then I get packaged together with abortion clinic bombers and "God hates fags" protectors.

I don't have the exact quote, but Dan Dennet (noted athiest) once said that religions are usually represented by the loudest and most fanatic, not the most intellectual.

I spent years there buddy... Good luck on your quest for truth.

12. jackymiki

jackymiki Level I

We are created from Aliens >:)

Please don't gravedig - Commy

13. Fexxel

Fexxel Level IV

Evolution.
    I highly doubt that "God" came from the sky and made humans...
    Evolution sounds more logical.
    Oh, and don't get mad but-
    The only reason humans drive to religion is the wanting to know our origin- and religion, fake or real, gives us that.

14. Roarbark

Roarbark Level I

I'm an agnostic, which means i believe there is a possibility of a god or gods, but no way to prove either way.
    What I'm confused by is why the two have to be mutually exclusive. Shouldnt it be more to a diety's credit if he or she or they designed a system so amazingly intricate, with such wondrous results? Its less work then designing every single creature, to be sure :)

15. ShinyDraik

ShinyDraik Level I

oh man, what a discussion xD
    first, I believe in evolution, to
    answer that question.
    But I think the whole question is...
    well... strange...^^
    why do we have to decide between god and
    evolution? if there´s a god,
    why is it necessary that he´s a creator?
    In my opinion "god" happens between us,
    but i for myself don´t call all that god,
    I call it love, friendship, miracles...
    But that everyone´s own business ;)

But I think evolution is almost something proved.
    sure, you can never "prove" sth like that
    to 100%, but there are so many experiments and
    test which indeed proof that evolution happend.
    macro or micro... there is no difference, besides
    that micro´s faster ;)
    (sry if that all sounds so cunfusing)

for me, clearly, evolution

16. ketomi

ketomi Newbie

i think its a combination of the two. I dont know why though. I just have strange ways of thinking of things. And the ironic part is; im a christian, not that i dont believe things in the bible, i just have different oppions than alot of people.

17. dreamlorde

dreamlorde Level III

I think....... we'll find out when we die :maha:

Until then, I'm a solid proponent of Vulcan logic and Pascal's wager.

18. elite monkeh

elite monkeh Level I

I don't know if its been said, but I don't know why God couldn't use evolution. I tend to lean more to evolution, but if there were a supreme being, its very possible he used evolution. Or he could be experimenting, and we were the result.

19. dolcegabbana

dolcegabbana Level I

I believe strongly in science.. Theres no proof to back God up..

ps: I'm a freethinker

20. elite monkeh

elite monkeh Level I

Theres about the same amount of proof God was real as there is evolution. Having said that, I think its possible God would use science. He wouldn't just kind of clap his hands and it all be there.

Also, I don't believe in the Bible because there are too many contradictions. The Bible is man's word not God's