1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

God or evolution ?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Milanos, Oct 10, 2007.

?

God or evolution ?

1. God

49 vote(s)
    22.1%
  2. Both

66 vote(s)
    29.7%
  3. Evolution

108 vote(s)
    48.6%
  1. Jubixion

Jubixion Level II

Of course, usually in this kind of debates, the ones supporting evolution would usually win those who believe in God because our religion is based on faith. Whether or not we believe in God is simply based on faith and nothing else. However, there are proofs that the events of the Bible did occur.

Evolution, in my opinion, can also be put as a theory that was created just to fit the scientists beliefs, much like how atheist state that God was made up to give rest to certain people, to keep them thinking that there is a Heaven out there. There, too, are errors with carbon dating. This is one of the methods used to indicate the date of a certain fossil or rock. Because of an inaccurate dating method, many fossils have been dated to a few million years. This has lead the world to believe that we humans evolved through this million years from single cell organisms.

Of course you may say that it IS possible to be formed by a single cell. I agree with you, though it does sound a bit outrageous. But what are the odds that some random evolution would actually lead to so many complex life forms on this earth? There just has to be a supreme being out there who created us, and that supreme being is the God I believe in.

2. vicksuper

vicksuper Level I

i believe in evolution but would hopefully like that someday someone proves me wrong and that there is an actual god, because dying without a purpose after is a terrible thought.

3. tristen1230

tristen1230 Level II

Well I believe in evolution but I do want to believe in god but I have never met him or her so I just said evolution. We have scientific fact of evolution but nothing god.

4. larryisamazing

larryisamazing Level II

I believe there is a higher power that made it possible for everything that has come into being. As far as I'm concerned, there is no conflict between evolution and a higher power. Evolution is a natural thing (like any other process that just makes logical sense) with a ton of supporting evidence--both micro and macro.

5. Lease

Lease Level II

I believe in evolution because it sounds logic to me. I haven't heard better theories yet.
    But if they can proof other theories someday then I can change my mind.

Also if someone grew up with parents believing in god, then I can understand why they also believe.
    My parents aren't religious

6. lottgre1

lottgre1 Level I

I've been raised a Christian my whole life and just kinda recently went full atheist. There's books of evidence about evolution, and did you know there has been 6 mass extinction events on this planet? Either God didn't like what he was making and a meteor or massive climate change etc was his 'delete' button, or we're dealing with evolution. Plus if you think about it, if he created everything, including this entire universe, just for us to be here on this dinky little itsy bitsy spec of a planet on a spec of a solar system revolving around a spec of a star, in one of billions of galaxies 100s to 1000s of light years wide, then he's really wasted a lot of space. The only way I see it is, maybe he created the universe and all of its beauty, and we were and accident, or he just doesn't exist.

7. dayvus

dayvus Level I

i was raised to believe in God
    but i choose to believe God created evolution

8. nonchalantic

nonchalantic Newbie

evolution has way too many holes, and we are way too complicated to come from single-celled organisms!

so God all the way! :D

9. mrr_madeline

mrr_madeline Level I

I believe in evolution. I atheist and the idea of a superior being, creating us from nothing for no reason and making us go through life as a 'test' without letting us know that it's a test and if you don't pass you will spend eternity in a pit of fire, it's just way too far-fetched. Plus it is based on a book written 2000 years ago, maybe more, by unknown people, that can be interpreted in a million different ways.
    We have proof that evolution is real. Don;t look at monkeys or dinosaurs, just look at houses and clothes built 100 years ago... they prove that people used to be a lot smaller than we are today. It's change, it's constant, it's everywhere.

10. lottgre1

lottgre1 Level I

^^ i like the point you bring up, a lot

11. darkit

darkit Newbie

I didn't read all thirty pages to see if it's been said before or not, but I honestly don't believe this has to be an either or question.

Evolution could happen randomly, or under the guiding force of a benevolent power.

12. Jrevil

Jrevil Level I

This is a somewhat sensitive topic to bring up. LOL

13. Icarus

Icarus Level II

Evolution.

Why?

I don't like religion because it causes people to be contempt with not understanding life. Also, the Bible is full of genocide, rape, and flaws.
    >3

14. slammminsam

slammminsam Newbie

Please tell me you're trolling us right now. If you need to be told the meaning of the term "theory" in the context of scientific engagement, you should not be posting in a discussion between God and evolution.

Speaking of which, God and evolution are not mutually exclusive, so a debate between the two of them is nonsensical. Instead, a better question is whether or not they are compatible; that is, can a belief in a god be reconciled with the validity of the SCIENTIFIC theory of evolution? In short, I would say yes, but it would completely depend on your definition of the god you believe. The Christian god: absolutely not. Your coffee cup as your god: probably yeah.

15. cllairette

cllairette Newbie

i think that religion is like koolaid...there are so many flavors.. all of them are just artificial food coloring and sugar to make it taste good . all entirely artificial.

16. briannatardiff

briannatardiff Level I

i believe in evolution because we have science to prove evolution , we have no hard facts or evidence that "god" just came to be out of nothing & so on so forth. But i do respect you if you believe in that just dont be rude about it :)

17. tharning

tharning Level I

This is such a heated topic. Being a Christian, I obviously believe in creation. I also believe in microevolution, though. Things are constantly adapting to their environments, but I don't believe that everything on Earth started out as an amoeba or whatever. As far as "evidence" for either side of the argument, there is nothing hard and fast. It's just one of those things you have to decide how you believe. And as soon as you point something out to the other side, they have some rebuttal and you don't get anywhere because it really is just a question of belief.

18. lanabubalo13

lanabubalo13 Level II

Why not God-assisted evolution?