1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guns or no guns?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Virre, Apr 19, 2007.

?

Was video games an important factor for the Virginia Tech massacre and similar events?

1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Virre

Virre Level IV

So it has been revealed that Cho Seung-hui bought one of his guns completely legit. Three forms of id + greencard and an instant background check was all that it took.
    Is it time to ban guns or at the very least require a hunting license for purchasing a gun like in many other countries (such as Sweden where I live)?

As I see it, the only two reasons why a person would need a gun in their home is either for hunting or in case of a Zombie holocaust, but the second doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon.

Also, is violent video games a factor that plays in when it comes to tragic events as the Virginia Tech massacre?
    Jack Thompson thinks so; http://neofriends.net/phpBB2/posting.ph ... topic&f=23

Post your opinions

2. onprogus

onprogus Level IV

No banning of games.

Banning of guns :K If people have easy access to them, they grow up thinking its normal to get a gun. At least if you have to turn to the streets to get a gun they are harder to find and there can be no saying that they thought it was legal.

3. the_skip

the_skip Level IV

No, we have the right to guns. Don't just ban video games look at the music today all mostly about violence. And then the movies that are shootem up. The probelm is the people not the guns. You need to show id when you buy a gun already. Mostt states in the US have background checks. So no, I belive that banning guns in a city is totally wrong inless you have to have a valid reson to have a gun like hunting or for fun.

4. punkeydew

punkeydew Level IV

They can not ban guns.

It is in the bill of rights. We have the right to bear arms.

No amount of restrictions would have stopped it.

He did everything legally and went through every process.

It was COMPLETELY planned out

Though stricter control would probably cut down on spur of the moment kind of things.

No video games and violence is bull. Same thing with music.

It is a persons mentality

Edit: Excuse me for the spelling mistake. It just looked to wierd. All I could think of was the big fuzzy creature

5. goldfishrockster

goldfishrockster Level III

We could just wear tshirts all the time. Then we could bare arms without the guns.

6. Steve Miller Band

No banning of guns. Some people use them to defend their family in case of emergencies, before the police can arrive.

7. mac_bubble

mac_bubble Level I

i agree with steve miller
    constituion and all (like someone already said)
    AND
    if they ban guns, crime rate is going to increase in the country, just like what happened when they banned alcohol in the past

8. goldfishrockster

goldfishrockster Level III

I dont have a gun and I can protect myself perfectly well. I just dont think guns are necessary, civilization coped for thousands of years without them. People can go on and on about guns being ok in the right hands but look how many end up in the wrong hands. I'm glad I live in the UK, I really disagree with the lax gun laws of the USA.

9. daydee

daydee Level III

I do believe ownership of guns should be more restricted. Here we have no right to bare arms. You can't just go out and buy a gun you need all sorts of special licenses and tests before you can own one, if you have a gun and shoot someone in self defence it is very probable you will go to prison.

However I don't believe guns in the media or computer games should be banned, there are plenty of people who watch violent TV/Games and remain unaffected, it's just TV. People who commit these attrocities are often mentally disturbed and if it wasn't games it would be something else that sets them off!

10. brsana

brsana Level II

I think they should ban guns. no need for them, if no one had them there would be NO deaths (with guns) the world would be less violent, even though people still find other ways to hurt each other a gun woulnt be a method wich is the deadliest method....i dunno thats my opinion :D

11. onprogus

onprogus Level IV

:lol: Do you guys know the motto for the regulatory commitee of guns?

It is something like, 'Gun's dont kill people, people kill people'

:lol: Spot the missing link...

'People, with guns, kill people'

12. punkeydew

punkeydew Level IV

Automobiles kill more people than guns every year.

There is no talk of banning vehicles

13. bigjohn

bigjohn Level II

I totally agree.
    Here in the UK noone feels the need to protect themselves with guns because in general most crims dont have them. Even most of the police dont have them which is why the crims dont feel the need to carry them i think.
    Because of this the UK is a much less voilent place than the US.

14. FastBullet

FastBullet Level IV

When i grow up completely i want to have an AK47 and a Deagle Pistol in my house all of them legit :p and when someone says that they don't like my pink t-shirt or my red shoes then i'll blow the hell out of them :twisted:

As Steve said we are buying the guns to defend our family so there is no talk of banning the guns...

The games don't do anything to affect our mind consciously (for people older than 12) so there's no talk of banning the games either...

I think there are more causes that makes us violent like pollution or rude music so...let's do something about it :arrow:

15. onprogus

onprogus Level IV

From what though? I hope not other people with guns because thats just stupid. If guns were banned you could just get a baseball bat and use that to defend yourselves instead.
    Presumably, if guns were baned you would go down the same path with them as England, and people rarely break into peoples houses with them let alone use them!
    The most they are used for are robberies and in the most extreme, drive-bys.

You shouldn't need to protect your family in the first place!

16. pandahorde

pandahorde Level IV

guns is important... like they said in case of emergency they can get their guns..
    for example robbers in your house or maybe bad guys .. you have defend.

17. Billy

Billy Level IV

ummm... it should be
    and anyways, no i dont think video games were a factor. i do think that that people under the age of 25 should be able to buy guns tho.

18. woooot

woooot Level II

No. The guy was just a loner... so... I think he was just... insane.

19. Virre

Virre Level IV

So the most common reason that guns should be allowed seems to be for the protection of one's family.
    However, that just results in a catch 22 situation.
    It doesn't take a genius to understand that the more guns that are sold in a community, the easier it is to get your hands on one. No matter what side you're on.

20. Fendi

Fendi Level IV

>_<

You could get a baseball bat but murders in UK vs America is crazy difference even after accounting for the size. The bill of rights was never intended to say EVERY american must bre arms this has been said time and time again. The fact of the matter is Stabbing someone is harder than shooting someone. Shooting someone is easier to get away with. And knife crimes don't cause fatality as much as gun crime. You got some crazy people in US though. When I went to Florida they were reporting more murders just in florida in one day than I had seen on the news in the UK for months. Guess what 99.9% were gun related. And the background checks are rubbish because people go to places with lax gun laws (virginia being one of them) and go to NYC to sell them on.

Please don't double post - edit your first post instead - Marlene

2nd post:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.