1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guns or no guns?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Virre, Apr 19, 2007.

?

Was video games an important factor for the Virginia Tech massacre and similar events?

1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goncalo

goncalo Level IV

Nay that Virginia dude was just insane, I guess that videogames didn't contribute to that.
    And I don't think they should ban the use of guns in USA, it just needs to have more strict rules and the process to acquire the gun should be more complete, like analizing the people's psicological condition.

2. Fendi

Fendi Level IV

A videogame can't force a person o go buy a gun and shoot someone so games or tv or films or whatever arn't the reason for gun crime. The availability of guns is the reason for gun crime. And as for protection more people get shot with the gun they own by robbers ect. then they shoot the bad guys. It's like handing a weapon to a murderer and saying please shoot me. They are going to be better at it than you.

3. woooot

woooot Level II

could have a slight influence. Not anything major though.

4. christinemarie

christinemarie Level II

seeing as i'm vegetarian, i say ban guns completely.
    no one hunts for anything other than sport and that is pointless.
    people buy their meat from groceries and use guns as a threat.
    so ban 'em. :?
    and video games were not a factor. this was an extremely disturbed individual, with or without games.

5. deathcraze

deathcraze Level III

guns should be banned. :shock:
    instead of spending the money to buy guns, why not spend the money on some better security system to protect your family?
    if a robber comes in, he may even manage to grab your gun away from you, and it could be used against you.

stop the sale of all guns, hunting or otherwise...

there have been cases where i live where hunters have actually shot and killed their hunting companions, under the excuse that they mistook them for deer :roll:

6. punkeydew

punkeydew Level IV

in the city

It just so happens that my family lives in the woods in virginia. They are hill billies lol.

My uncles hunt for meat. And they eat it too. They give it to friends and family and it feeds them for a good while.

And everyone keeps saying Ban the guns.

You can't do that. It will never happen as long as the united states is still democratic.

7. Virre

Virre Level IV

Well that's exactly the point.
    If a majority of US citizen wants guns to be banned then you could make it happen. That's the point of a democracy, that the citizens can influence the decisions that are made.
    I don't think this board will change anything, I just created it because I was interested in the American culture.

And I might also add that I don't belive that video games can affect a person to go do something as terrible as this.
    For me, shooter games are only a more advanced version of playing cops and robbers =)

8. Fendi

Fendi Level IV

:eek:

On TV it said that the majority of americans want buying guns to be harder. Banning guns completely is moronic there are guns in the UK for hunters and whoever NEEDS a gun but why have one if you don't need one. and if everyone applys to this rule protection dosn't really count because your equal if a murderer comes in to get you with a knife. The fact is because guns are in america it can't be stopped now.

9. elite

elite Level III

No ban, not everyone use guns for bad purposes. I don't think video games was a factor because it was said that he had a psychological disorder. It was stated in the newspaper that he was an immigrant and struggled to fit in. I can see how that would affect him.

10. zer0ordi3yo

zer0ordi3yo Level IV

Video games effect NOTHING.

What about games involving faeries, does it make them go out dressed like a fairy and go around sprinkling pixie dust?

They should be GLAD that we have shooting games, they can take out their anger on other players online instead of actually shooting people.

11. Virre

Virre Level IV

This is one common reason I hear.
    Blaming it on that he was an immigrant.
    He had been living in the states since he was what, eight?
    And a problem fitting in? What do you think is the cause of that?
    It can't be the kids at the school, right?
    I think it's time to stop trying to push away the problem and saying that there isn't one.

12. zer0ordi3yo

zer0ordi3yo Level IV

I honestly don't see why this is getting so much publicity and why people care so much.

Yes, I feel sorry for the 33 families. I think it was a horrible thing. But why drag it on? The man responsible is dead, and bringing it up over and over is only reminding people about it. I don't see why they care. The guy didn't have friends for a reason, he was a psycho schizophrenic loser.

Playing all of those dumb tapes and talking about him is just what he wanted, why give him that?

The only reasonable excuse for someone caring is "Our schools aren't safe".

That's bull, and no matter how safe they are, things like this are going to happen. You need to wake up, this is how life is. It's not all butterflies and ice cream.

13. punkeydew

punkeydew Level IV

But the fact that that is a MAIN point written into our bill of rights makes it NEXT to impossible to ban guns.

Because the media LOVES it.

14. Virre

Virre Level IV

You also have the constitution:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Which isn't really followed.
    Restrictions for TV and Radio where cussing is forbidden, people not being able to excersise their religions without limitations etc.
    Saying that guns can't be banned just because they're in the Bill of Rights doesn't really work.

Also, I don't think banning guns would be the right thing to do.
    But putting more restrictions on purchasing guns would be one solution.
    If you need to have a hunting license to purchase a gun, it would be alot harder to get your hands on one.

15. Fendi

Fendi Level IV

I totally agree with you. America will never be totally rid of guns because they are in America already but restrictions on having guns i perfectly logical.
    I don't get why being a US citizen gives you the right to have a lethal weapon.

16. zer0ordi3yo

zer0ordi3yo Level IV

I think that rule was made up way back when so if people from brittain, or the native americans, tried to retaliate, everyone would be safe.

17. goldfishrockster

goldfishrockster Level III

If you think that the declaration of independance hasnt really been updated with the times, it still allows American citizens to behave as they would have done in the 1700s. I know its a historic document and all that but maybe it could do with a bit of an update.

18. noxxten

noxxten Level II

I'm completely neutral on this. It depends on the type of person he was, if he realy couldnt handle playing video games and his line between fantasy and reality was blurred than yes, he shouldnt have them and it probably played a part, otherwise no. I play games with massive murders and very grusom graphics, but to this day im one of the best students in my school, and i won mr good personality last year x]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.