1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homosexuality

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by cardenal, Oct 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Liwi

Liwi Level II

To all people saying homosexuality is a choice : Do you ever really think about what you're saying? Do you REALLY believe that someone would CHOOSE to be discriminated against? That they would CHOOSE to be made fun of? That they would CHOOSE to jeopardize their entire life when they come out to their family? I mean it's not as if one morning they just woke up and decided, "Hey! I think I'm going to be gay today because that sure sounds like a lot of fun!". No. Just think about how ridiculous that sounds.

2. candcain

candcain Level II

I have a very liberal view on homosexuality. If you are gay, that is your preference, just as if you like the color blue or green. I have a problem when someone tries to force their ideals upon others. In most cases, it is the heterosexuals who feel the need to impose their beliefs on other people and I think THAT is wrong.

But back to your questions, I don't think homosexuality is wrong, it is just different. I also believe that both nature and nurture have a hand in a child's sexual preferences. Even though I have a very understanding family and extremely open-minded friends, I do not think I would be comfortable announcing that I was gay, mainly because not everyone is as accepting as the people I know and love.

3. Epsilon5

Epsilon5 Level I

I, personally, am not a fan of homosexuality. I don't wanna see two guys all up on each other, and I don't wanna see two girls all up on each other. I think it's kind of grody. That said, at least 99.9% of the time, (hopefully 100%, but ya never know), I'll not be in proximity to any such things. As such: I really don't care what you do behind closed doors. Just so long as ppl don't elaborate.

Yes, I think it's wrong. But, we're all human.

I believe it's a little bit of both. Nature and nurture both have a role in both who we're attracted to, and which sex we decide to date/marry/love/et cetera.

No, I would not feel comfortable telling people I were gay.
    (Although, if I were gay, I'd probably not care what people thought, and thereby would likely feel perfectly comfortable with it... But who knows)

4. rarehunternick

rarehunternick Level II

The only reason why homosexuality is a major problem is because they express it way too much. Even if they do get the same-rights of 'marriage' the heterosexuals will still not approve it. Thats the whole problem. I just think they are trying to create a 'minority class' just so they can get the rights that they already have.

Yes..they have the same rights. They say they don't, but they actually do. If marriage is define as "only between a man and a woman" a homosexual can still get married as long as they get married to the opposite sex. So, their right has not been taken away. They are fighting for the will of the people to respect them. That is their main goal. They are trying to push their so called 'equality' on us. But in truth, they want the title more then anything because they believe that they will get the same rights. However, their is a problem. In the case of California, if they approve Proposition 8, the gays "WILL NOT" get all the rights as 'married couples'. They will NOT get the same Federal benefits due to DOMA. So, if they really wanted to fight for 'marriage' then why don't they attack DOMA sense they do not provide the Federal benefits to same-sex couples? Or, is it because if they do get 'marriage', then will they get the Federal rights?

Now besides that, I don't care what same-sex couples do behind doors or even in public, the only problem I have with them right now is how they are reacting like 'children throwing an tantrum' just to get what they want. How many of you guys herd these stories: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... d=91486340

Another story, that may not be listed in there, is about a manager that ran a restaurant called El Coyote. The manager only gave $100 of 'her' own money on the 'Yes on 8' group and after the passage, her restaurant became a target by the gay activists. The group harassed her the restaurant and protested outside demanding that she give a $100 to the 'No on 8' group. Her employees pooled $500 and gave it to the 'No on 8' group, but she did not give any money in that pool. So, they kept on protesting and she finally resign from her job. I find this very offensive because they harassed her just because of her belief.

Another story: an old lady was attacked by a gay activist group just because she voiced her opinions like they were. You know what they did, took her cross and threw it on the ground

So...let me ask you guys some questions: Do think that the gay activists have the right to commit the acts that they currently are? Do you find it fair that people are losing their jobs just because of their own beliefs? Shouldn't these groups be showing more 'remorse' rather then 'attacking' to get their own ways? Do you thing they have the rights to call people 'bigots' just because they don't agree with their ideas? Is this a case for civil rights or just a privileged? Are they out of control now?

To be quite honest, I used to respect the gay community. I had no problem, but now the way that they have reacted, I have lost my respect for them. I have some friends that are gays and I'm sure you guys too and I bet that they haven't acted differently towards you just because you voted in opposition to them. One more thing: Marriage is a PRIVILEGED! Not a RIGHT!

5. Commy

Commy Moderator
    Staff Member

Homosexuals should have a right to get married, but why would they want to? It's a religious institution, and since most religions frown upon homosexuality itself, I don't know why they would want to.
    It would be better if they registered their union, which would give them the exact same rights as a married couple. Currently, in the majority of the countries, this is not the case. Some of the benefits that people obtain once they get married can be found here
    Yes..they have the same rights. They say they don't, but they actually do. If marriage is define as "only between a man and a woman" a homosexual can still get married as long as they get married to the opposite sex. So, their right has not been taken away. They are fighting for the will of the people to respect them. That is their main goal. I think you're avoiding the point. They don't have the right to marry each other. Of course a homosexual is allowed to marry a person of the opposite sex, but hopefully you would enter a union with somebody you're sexually and emotionally attracted to. By saying they're allowed to marry a person of the opposite sex, it's like saying "Oh, of course you can choose your flavour of ice cream. If it's chocolate"
    Homosexuals want equality. Respect is a part of that. As much as one man would respect another, regardless of sexual orientation.
    They are trying to push their so called 'equality' on us. But in truth, they want the title more then anything because they believe that they will get the same rights. However, their is a problem. In the case of California, if they approve Proposition 8, the gays "WILL NOT" get all the rights as 'married couples'. They will NOT get the same Federal benefits due to DOMA. So, if they really wanted to fight for 'marriage' then why don't they attack DOMA sense they do not provide the Federal benefits to same-sex couples? Or, is it because if they do get 'marriage', then will they get the Federal rights? The first step is allowing marriage to happen. It's like saying "Oh, of course you can choose your flavour of ice cream. If it's chocolate. Otherwise...no. You cannot". The first step is being allowed to choose your flavour of icecream. Then comes the next step, having a scoop as large as a chocolate serving.
    So...let me ask you guys some questions: Do think that the gay activists have the right to commit the acts that they currently are? Do you find it fair that people are losing their jobs just because of their own beliefs? Shouldn't these groups be showing more 'remorse' rather then 'attacking' to get their own ways? Do you thing they have the rights to call people 'bigots' just because they don't agree with their ideas? Is this a case for civil rights or just a privileged? Are they out of control now?
    You can't judge all homosexuals based on what a portion of them have done. Nor can you say all homosexuals act as they should. It's called free will. And not everybody acts sensibly, nor the way they should.
    You know a group of westerners were plotting to assassinate Barack Obama, the next president?
    Does that mean all westerners want to kill him? Of course not.
    Nor do we racially profile every Muslim as a terrorist. That would be unfair.
    And you make it sound like a large number of people are losing their jobs, because they have a problem against homosexuality. This is not the case. I'll find it more likely that people lose their jobs for being homosexual. Have you heard of the "Don't ask, don't tell" policy? According to wikipedia, there have been over 11,000 people losing their jobs in the military service for being a homosexual. Hrmm...how "equal" is that?
    And in case you didn't know, the definition of a bigot is somebody intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions. So yes, homosexuals have the rights to call people who think they shouldn't get married bigots, as it's an act of intolerance.
    Would you say the African Americans were out of control for wanting equal rights as the Caucasian Americans?
    One more thing: Marriage is a PRIVILEGED! Not a RIGHT!
    That's odd. You've been referring to it as a right this whole time.

6. Fendi

Fendi Level IV

The only reason why homosexuality is a major problem is because they express it way too much. Even if they do get the same-rights of 'marriage' the heterosexuals will still not approve it. Thats the whole problem. I just think they are trying to create a 'minority class' just so they can get the rights that they already have.

I live in a liberal country that has gay rights but I have NEVER seen a gay couple walk hand in hand down the street or kiss in public that is not expressing yourself. I assume you are talking about gay pride parades and why do these exist once a year? Because once a year you can walk down the street hand in hand with your partner without fearing being attacked. Gay people cannot 99% of the time express who they are full which is why gay clubs and parades exist because it's a release. Gays are a minority... And if gay people are trying to get rights they already have what is the problem? DADT is that equality? How about the fact that in 30 US states you can be fired for being gay? There are hundreds of inequalities written into laws that is what needs to change.

Yes..they have the same rights. They say they don't, but they actually do. If marriage is define as "only between a man and a woman" a homosexual can still get married as long as they get married to the opposite sex. So, their right has not been taken away. They are fighting for the will of the people to respect them. That is their main goal. They are trying to push their so called 'equality' on us. But in truth, they want the title more then anything because they believe that they will get the same rights. However, their is a problem. In the case of California, if they approve Proposition 8, the gays "WILL NOT" get all the rights as 'married couples'. They will NOT get the same Federal benefits due to DOMA. So, if they really wanted to fight for 'marriage' then why don't they attack DOMA sense they do not provide the Federal benefits to same-sex couples? Or, is it because if they do get 'marriage', then will they get the Federal rights?

With any rights struggle you take it one step at a time. Gay people don't have the same rights AT ALL in fact in America they will be one of the if not the most discriminated against minority at least by the government because of law. If the countries law discriminates against gays why should the countries people not think it's OK also to discriminate against gays? State marriage isn't religious so what is the issue? And yes now marriage is defined as one man one woman but when the bible was written polygamy was an accepted form of marriage. Society changes and evolves unfortunately the Bible doesn't seem to. I find this whole argument ridiculous now to be honest because in my lifetime gay people will be allowed to marry I'm sure of it and in the future Christians and other religions will look back in shame at what they tried to do to yet another minority. The bible was used to try and keep blacks as slaves to stop women getting the vote and the hysterical thing is that the verses used against those two struggles were also in Leviticus just like the famous abomination line. Learn from the past >__<

Now besides that, I don't care what same-sex couples do behind doors or even in public, the only problem I have with them right now is how they are reacting like 'children throwing an tantrum' just to get what they want. How many of you guys herd these stories: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... d=91486340

Another story, that may not be listed in there, is about a manager that ran a restaurant called El Coyote. The manager only gave $100 of 'her' own money on the 'Yes on 8' group and after the passage, her restaurant became a target by the gay activists. The group harassed her the restaurant and protested outside demanding that she give a $100 to the 'No on 8' group. Her employees pooled $500 and gave it to the 'No on 8' group, but she did not give any money in that pool. So, they kept on protesting and she finally resign from her job. I find this very offensive because they harassed her just because of her belief.

I'm sorry but gay bashing is a far more common occurrence since straight people hit gay people... Straight people are all evil? She has an opinion and so do the gay activists they protested peacefully...

Another story: an old lady was attacked by a gay activist group just because she voiced her opinions like they were. You know what they did, took her cross and threw it on the ground
    This story was already found to not be so clear cut the locals where that happened said she harassed people at a No on Prop 8 rally and the sweet old lady was known for stirring up trouble, of course Fox news wouldn't interoperate it truthfully.

xD really really not out of control look at other civil rights struggles and there is so much violence. You could find a peaceful protest and one case of one gay man and a woman and the gays are out of control xD People aren't losing their jobs because of what they believe if they resign it's them leaving. If Christians can say gays burn in hell for all eternity gays can use the term bigot freely methinks.

To be quite honest, I used to respect the gay community. I had no problem, but now the way that they have reacted, I have lost my respect for them. I have some friends that are gays and I'm sure you guys too and I bet that they haven't acted differently towards you just because you voted in opposition to them. One more thing: Marriage is a PRIVILEGED! Not a RIGHT!

You can have your beliefs but look at the story from the other side your whole argument is so unbelievable slanted. If you were gay and wanted to get married and your friend voted yes on prop 8 would you want to talk to them? They clearly don't respect you for you. Yes "Marriage is a PRIVILEGED! Not a RIGHT!" so only straight people should have the privilege and gay people shouldn't?... WOW sounds like inequality to me... but your opening paragraph stated gays have equal rights... Hmm slightly contradictory.

7. unskillful12

unskillful12 Level III

I found this to be rather compelling.

8. heartstrings

heartstrings Newbie

Sorry I never read the whole 20 pages, but I wanted to say something

In the bible gay is wrong, but then again, I think you're born with it. If God let that happen, then why should he punish you? Just because you're gay, doesn't mean you're a terrible person. You're allowed to love someone who is the same sex
    But like, I think if you sleep with them then thats kinda weird. And it makes God really mad. But I mean, you still should be a jerk to gay people. They're humans too so yeah

And if you don't believe in God, then you don't have to listen to me. I was only saying

9. Lightning

Lightning Administrator
    Staff Member

I think it is OK to be homosexual although many people laugh at and make fun at them. It is their personal choice, and it is not your business unless they sexually harass you or something like that. I find it quite awkward although I know a few people that are homosexual, but they act like they are normal people and are very fun around. My final thought is that it is just a choice that many people make without thinking - between homosexual and heterosexual, and it is "not right" to taunt or make fun of somebody that makes a different decision than you do.

10. krilas

krilas Level II

While it is a right of people to choose for themselves, I personally think it is wrong. It goes against the flow of nature that a male should be with a female.

11. MCheezie

MCheezie Level IV

If it goes against nature then why is it seen all through nature? There are tons of reports of homosexual animals.

12. Zack

Zack Level II

hmm...This reminds me of Brave New World, a novel I'm studying in english class. Homsexuality and self-pleasuring is seen as completly normal in their society, although its likely due to that fact that children are created through cloning in a lab, so it doesn't make a difference since children will be produced regardless. However I think it makes a valid point in showing that individual people tend to believe what their society as a whole believes. Since in our society views homosexuality as bad (mostly at the fault of religion, but I won't get into that here) most people take a negative view towards it as well. I actually have a family member who is homosexual, so the homophobic remarks can get to me sometimes. I dont think people have any business saying who someone else should love. Telling a certain race that they should not be that colour is just silly, because obviously they can't change what colour they are. People cant change who they love, so why should homophobia seem and less silly?

There's my 2 cents

13. MCheezie

MCheezie Level IV

That's pretty much how it is. People are so close minded and just follow what their authorities and elders say, it's pretty sad in my opinion. Be your own person and have your own beliefs, thoughts, and lives.

14. Rhett

Rhett Level IV

Thats just the problem though. Those who are fed the idea that homosexuality is bad are done so through their parent/society. Your parents potty trained you, they taught you how to ride a bike, and how to read. How could they possibly be wrong if they say homos are bad?!

People who hate homosexuality don't see anything wrong with hating something just because someone they trust said it was wrong. A lot of people don't get a chance to have an opinion about homosexuality because by the time they are old enough to form one, they have already had their parents' opinion thruster upon them.

I'm not justifying blind hate, just giving their reasoning behind it. It's not logic (Ig, you can't help who you love. etc). It's just believe what people you trust tell you (santa is real, god loves you, we love you, you're special.)

15. unskillful12

unskillful12 Level III

I read this thread again and it seems like one of the main arguments against homosexuality is that it is 'unnatural'. Even if people don't mind gays, they still think it is against the laws of nature.

To me this is hypocritical. It is natural to walk yet we drive, fly, use scooters, bikes etc.

There is natural birth but we can have C-sections. Not many people seem to have a problem with this or say that giving birth this way is "wrong".

Trees are naturally growing but we cut them down by the millions to make consumer goods.

It is unnatural to have someone else's heart in your body to help keep you alive after yours had failed.

It is unnatural to do a lot of things but we do them because it benefits us. Women were thought to be lower than men, but now they are equals (in developed countries). People of colour were thought to be different and lower than everyone else but they won their rights, (rightfully). It's time to stop thinking of gays as different and think of them as equals like everyone else. We destroyed the word "natural" long ago, yet it is still used in an argument to keep a group of people down below the rest of society. If you want everything to be natural then let's find a new way to travel, only give birth naturally no matter what, find a new way to make tables, chairs, paper, and stop saving people with failing hearts.

16. into_the_night

into_the_night Level I

i think its just normal. it doesnt matter how you are just who you are inside

17. HeyHey

HeyHey Newbie

I agree. It does not seem natural, since sexual desire is meant for reproduction, and obviously two of the same sex cannot reproduce. Its not the way people were supposed to be, its closer to being a mutation. But it's not nurture, since I know plenty of gay people who say they knew were very young, and grew up in families that did not "nurture" the idea in any way. If the family is too liberal, people always say that it encouraged the child to be homosexual, and if the family was too conservative, it means they caused the child to rebel through homosexuality. I doubt both. I think it is just a different chemical mind set and different neurological development, since it has yet to be "cured" (and most people can reform from their upbringing). Being a homosexual instead of a heterosexual is like disliking chocolate instead of liking it: chocolate is tasty and an aphrodisiac to most people, but some people still naturally do not like it, despite all the reasons to. With a human's higher brain function, it was only a matter of time till sexual receptors expanded into the same sex.

18. unskillful12

unskillful12 Level III

I made an argument then saw a flaw with it.

Sorry for this waste of a post, I will edit with info as soon as I think of something =) lol.

19. Fendi

Fendi Level IV

Trying to define what natural is, is an impossible task. Sexual desire is "meant for reproduction" because of the Christian dominant ideology in nature dolphins also have sex for pleasure so humans are not alone. What you say is sort of true though humans were obviously built to reproduce to expand humankind men have caveman instincts to "spread their seed" but if that is natural monogamy is not natural as men have the innate desire to produce as many young as they can. There are also vast grey areas if homosexuals are unnatural for not reproducing then infertile people, celibate people and people who are heterosexual and chose not to have children are also unnatural. Plus if we look at things purely from the nature point of view contraception is also unnatural and since the world shall soon be vastly overpopulated even with contraception we should let nature take its course and millions of people starve? We would be letting nature take its course. What is natural in the world we live in now? Cars? Medicine? Computers? We have advanced as a society technologically but unfortunately some peoples mind sets are still with the cavemen. What we define as natural is what we have been conditioned to find natural and if gay people are born gay (which a whole lot of science can back up) but homophobic people are conditioned to dislike gay people... which is more natural? If you are born with something it's natural and history will tell you homosexuality has been around throughout the ages so it's clearly not a new unnatural phenomenon. No science is really needed to back up whether people are born gay anyway though all you need to look at are the people who spend thousands trying to de-gay themselves because they are Catholic and they have been taught all their lives they will burn in hell for loving someone of the same gender. Religion is taught, Intolerance is taught but Homosexuality is innate. There was a study that concluded gay men's brains function more like straight females and lesbians more like straight males but it's not the case that gay people are born with the wrong brains as when it comes to sex they both think like their own gender. I don't think it is possible to de-gay someone without brainwashing them if you can de-gay someone you can de-straight someone and both of those ideas seem incredibly unnatural. I understand your not homophobic I'm just ranting =]

20. Smelly

Smelly Level IV

Another note on the whole Christian thing...Ancient Greeks used to have lots of man-o-man-o and they thought of it as a healthy thing.

And they weren't Christian

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.