1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much do you tip?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Soleil56, Dec 31, 2008.

1. SinkingThoughts

SinkingThoughts Level I

It's when you give the waiter a little something for their work xD You can't be a noob for not knowing what a tip is :eek: You're just... sheltered?

2. weldn

weldn Level II

Not really i think :)

It's kind of ... language obstacle

I have posted a thread about asking what "pwn" means :tehe:

3. SinkingThoughts

SinkingThoughts Level I

xD Ah, I'm just assuming people come from America =P My mistake. Btw, I'm from Taiwan too :D TaoYuan ^^

4. SoC

SoC Moderator
    Staff Member

:lol:

If a restaurant factors into wage tips then the waitress should just sue them for paying below minimum wage
    you can't include bonuses/tips etc into wage under SSAP12 i think it is

And who cares? Im paying for the food not for the sweaty spotty teenager to carry my plate 15 metres across the room
    heck i'll walk into the kitchen and carry my own god damn plate if the restaurant wants :)

I'll never tip :)

5. Tricia

Tricia Level IV

It's actually not law. Restaurants can and do factor in tips to make their staff's wages up to minimum wage. They're trying to stop it at the moment in some places. Read here:

http://news.scotsman.com/uk/Waiters39-t ... 4712365.jp

However, as far as I'm concerned, it's the restaurant's responsibility to pay their staff the proper wage, not mine. Since when has the customer been the employer? Since when does the customer pay the staff's wage? No, that's the employers job, hence them being the EMPLOYER. As long as people leave large tips, the restuarants will not be forced to pay proper wages. If people didn't tip so much, the government would be forced to close the loophole allowing restaurants to do this.

So, Ice, whilst you're getting all high and mighty about tipping the staff, please remember that all you're actually doing is helping the restaurant avoid paying a proper wage. You're not helping the waiter at all, just helping those big companies keep their pockets suitably lined with lots and lots of money.

6. SoC

SoC Moderator
    Staff Member

HMmm that is an interesting article
    What we're studying we have been taught that it's against the law
    Very interesting and i shall bring it up :D

7. lazypando

lazypando Level IV

I admit....I feel guilty if I don't tip 10-15%. >__<;;
    But what some people don't realize is that you tip before tax. So don't look at the grand total when you tip...only the pre-tax amount. So with tip and tax (8.075% where I live) the bill usually ends up at around 120% of the original.

8. Cacklenub

Cacklenub Level IV

Nurses make like $60,000 a year or something lol, honestly I have no clue, but they don't need tips to go through in life. And a surgeon that saves your life probably makes $200,000+ lol....once again they don't really need a tip. :)

You really should tip your waitress, especially if it was good service. That's how most of them make their money. ;) Even if they didn't make it to college. ;p

But I always leave a tip, even if the service was terrible. ;) For bad service, I usually leave a dollar or two...just to be nice. For good service, 15%-20%, depending on how much I have left, is usually what I tip.

9. SoC

SoC Moderator
    Staff Member

erm my mum was a nurse
    and she was on minimum wage and she did most of the doctors work

The system is unfair
    I will never tip ever :)

/EoD

10. Tricia

Tricia Level IV

$60k a year for a nurse?? You must be joking? The average starting salary for a graduate nurse is about £19-20k (is that about $35k a year? I don't know the exchange rate :/). However, if you look at the average number of hours that a nurse will probably do a week, it'll probably work out at around £7, but you also have to consider the fact that they have to train for YEARS, be completely flexible and go in when needed, and they have to work unsociable hours like midnight to 10am or whatever. £7 an hour is bad anyway, but factor in all of the above and you'll see it's not much.

So no, I don't feel sorry for people carrying plates and washing up

11. KeKNoRRiS

KeKNoRRiS Level III

And on top of that, nurses have to take care of people, much like a waiter takes care of people in the restaurant. Nurses feed patients, wash them, and what more.. If waiters deserve tips, so do nurses and probably a whole bunch of other people.

12. stun420

stun420 Newbie

really just depends where i am.. and if the person taking my order does anything worth being paid for lol

13. krilas

krilas Level II

Where I live the norm is 10% in restaurants and they'd have already added that to the bill itself so usually I just pay and go, kinda taken for granted already.

14. SinkingThoughts

SinkingThoughts Level I

I thought the norm was 15% D:? Err, I hate it when restaurants add the tip by themselves -__-

15. Soleil56

Soleil56 Level I

HAHA. I think that nurses getting tips is interesting, but I don't agree with it.

Id be making money by the bucket loads :D

But, as nurses we are taught not to accept anything from the client, maybe something small like a piece of candy, but nothing too big.

Plus, (most) nurses became health care providers because they want to help others and preform care for them. I know many are under payed but I think its our duty to care for them regardless.

Also if lets say one client tips you and another client tips you less.. then there's the issue of "favoritism" which affects the quality of care and life.

Blah

16. waatp42

waatp42 Level I

I generally try and give 20 baht tip ...does not seem a lot but 25 baht will buy you a meal here :yup:

But at Xmas time I give 100 baht :tehe:

17. daflipster1991

i am a big tipper cuz im really lose with money.. like i got a $7 thing and tipped $5 lol. idk why :)

18. tilegendit

tilegendit Newbie

If i'm going to tip then I always tip 10%.

19. crizlyte

crizlyte Level I

its usually 10percent of the overall price in england. When we went to san fran for a week we forgot to leave a tip in a cafe and the waiter kicked off! hah!

20. Rhett

Rhett Level IV

o_O Because that's how waiters get paid. They only get paid (for lower end restaurants) $3 an hour. Yeah, it's a cheap system, restaurants making their customers directly pay their employee's wages, but it's how crap works.

I must be crazy because I tip 10% for crap service, 15% for good, and sometimes 20% for really good. The way I look at it is hey, they could have spit in my food or killed me. I worked in the restaurant business for about a year, hated, and quit. Tips are how everyone got paid and since we saw more and more elderly people (god they tip horribly), I ended up almost losing money to drive out there.

Tip well, you hookers.