1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much do you tip?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Soleil56, Dec 31, 2008.

1. imthegreatest

imthegreatest Newbie

10% for subpar
    15% for average-good
    20% + kind words for superb service

2. chromatim

chromatim Newbie

usually almost always 15%

when I'm drunk maybe a bit more :lol:

3. mrr_madeline

mrr_madeline Level I

not very much. I usually don't have the money =D

4. Aurelia.Johnson

I'm the same, I usually tip 15% but if the service is only so-so I'd go for 10%

5. bejizzle

bejizzle Newbie

18% is usually standard gratuity for parties 5 or more. Be careful because even if you go with 5 or 6 people and split up your bills, they'll still add it on sometimes. I'll ask for it to be removed
    I prefer to tip my waiter/waitress personally and in cash, if you tip on card it gets taxed and some businesses will pool all the tip money together and evenly distribute it at the end of the night. The issue I have with this is, if I have a terrible server, I don't feel like they worked for their money. I'm sorry but writing down and going back and forth isn't hard if people aren't being disrespectful which I understand happens sometimes and should I have to pay off a $200 bill, $40 to someone who worked for 40mins to an hour? If they did a good job and didn't make me wait for anything yeah I'll tip 20% but I've left no tips before from having rude servers that have insulted me (I understand their job can be stressful but no reason to disrespect someone because of a stressful day) or if my drink doesn't get refilled at all (one of my biggest pet peeves). I'll even give 25% if they made me laugh and I had a good time

6. bejizzle

bejizzle Newbie

Also, for those who don't know. Waiters and waitresses only make about $2 - $3 / hour. They are allowed to make under minimum wage because tips is their main source of income. So just remember that regardless, even if you don't like tipping or think college dropout doesn't deserve free money, that the "tip" is pretty much their hourly wage

7. vicksuper

vicksuper Level I

15% for normal service, 10% for crap service, and 20+% for exceptional service.

I still tip if our service was terrible because I know what its like to work in a job like that. Its possible that the persons just having a bad day. They still need to eat and survive. That being said if you forget to bring a huge tables orders OVER and OVER again and I can see you talking to your coworkers for 15+ minutes you'll get NOTHING. :)

8. jacobg70

jacobg70 Newbie

10% tip

9. zakenman1

zakenman1 Newbie

15% usually

10. Icarus

Icarus Level II

It depends on 3 main factors:

- What type of service did you get (i.e. eye contact, "sir/madam", tentativeness to your questions)
    - Did they bring your food fast or did they take their sweet time
    - Did they ask you if you wanted anything else with your food

Usually depending on how your service goes tip 10% to 15%

So if your bill is $60 and they had 9/10 service tip them $8 or $9 dollars.

Hope this helps!! :D

11. somethinggirl

somethinggirl Newbie

I'm usually fairly generous when I tip, only because I know firsthand that it can be a rough gig and tips make all the difference. If the service is really bad and it's obvious they don't care then I'll do 10-15%, but usually I give 20-25%. It's probably a bad habit considering I'm a broke student. ;v; /shot'd

12. Platypus

Platypus Level I

I was taught to tip from 8-10%. 15% sounds crazy to me!

13. supracharger

supracharger Level II

I tip every time I get good service, but I don't go by a percentage, the way I see it..
    if your getting free money from me, for your pocket, you'll just take whatever I give you.. hahaha

14. ekleut

ekleut Level I

I tip like 10% usually.

15. crashtestdummies

I'm a cheap bastard. I oftentimes don't, unless I really really like the service or I'm with someone. And in that case, usually 10% if I can get away with it.

16. CrC

CrC Level II

Like the poster above me i rarely tip and if I do its rarely above 10%
    I just don't care for how many servers today think they are entitled to the 20%
    tip regardless of how they do their job. If they want a decent tip then they should do a good
    job.

17. wazzy

wazzy Newbie

Well I am a server so I do appreciate good service when i go out. So i do really tip a lot. because i know how much serving sucks. Just one more year till im done with college though. then comes a real job and some real money haha!

18. troller999

troller999 Newbie

Nothing! :) I live in a place where tips are non-existent, haha!

19. sabuna

sabuna Level I

Tipping is one of those things that has been so twisted it doesnt even mean what it was originally supposed to...
    That said, I usually tip 10% because it's expected at this point (and 10% is easy to figure out lol.)

But I honestly wish it wasn't considered required... and that's me, someone who has worked in food service for two years.

20. faericia

faericia Newbie

I always tip 15% and then a bit more for safety measures if the waiter/waitress was good. If not, slightly less. Then again, my bill doesn't go too high when I pay so its usually about 2-3 dollars in tip.