1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Key Quest - Make a TON of cash (ish) =]

Discussion in 'Neopets Guides' started by beardi, Feb 21, 2009.

1. beardi

beardi Level I

Ok so I just realised that there are no guides on Key Quest here so figured I would write one for all of you that have seen it but never got around to playing it!

Link to Key Quest : http://www.neopets.com/games/keyquest/
    Link to Key Quest Tutorial: http://www.neopets.com/keyquest/tutorial.phtml

Reasons to play key quest:

1) It's a lot of fun, there is a huge amount of luck involved concerning powerups and dice rolls, so you never know whats going to happen =]
    2) It's a legitimate way to make a decent amount of money (for example I made 300k today, but that was due to some pretty lucky rewards, but it can happen to you!)
    3) If you win the game then you are guarenteed around 10k+ worth of items, if you come in second then the prizes are worse, but its still good enough!

I am not going to explain how the game works as I have provided the link above to get the basic gameplay worked out =]

Starting out:

- For the fastest and easiest games choose 5 Key games with 2 players ONLY. This means that you are guarenteed a gold or silver key to redeem at the end.

- Choose the same colour for your player - reason is explained in the minigames section.

- The board looks like this =]
    [​IMG]

~ Example of the perfect set up (dependant on which game board you prefer):
    [​IMG]

N.B: These tips are for Terror Mountain/Haunted Woods game boards

- When you chose a starting home it all depends on what you prefer to do; if you prefer to play games or use powerups/get the chest in order to get the far away keys then the places are as follows
    [​IMG]

- If you prefer to play it safe then the options are as follows
    [​IMG]

===========================================

Strategies:

If you prefer to play the minigames/get the chest for the keys then this is the route you should take (ideally) and once you reach the green key, then if yu have won the yellow and white keys from minigames or however then go straight to the green door and win =] if not then use any experience you have to finish the game off =]

[​IMG]

If you prefer the more cautions approach then I would advise something like this, you may wonder why yu dont pass the yellow key, well if you look at the path you pass over 5 minigames and the chances of you landing on one and winning are rather high (if you know how to play the minigames!) so you wont need to go and get the yellow key as you will have won it =]

(It was hard to draw the route but the double black line is when you come out of the portal the SECOND time, to the green door and the win =])

[​IMG]

Now to be honest that won't help you out that much because the game is completely unpredictable and you probably wont end up taking the routes, however its a rough guide and after some practice you will be able to get yourself out of a tricky situation!

I will add more on the movement strategies later as most of the powerups change what you should do in a major way!

One final thing, the chest (marked with an X on the board), every time you land on the X you are granted a np reward, a random powerup and a key of your choice, this is SO useful if you have the chance to get to it. (Note that if you are near the portal at the top of the board and you roll a high number then you may be able to go through and land on the chest, but count the places before you go because there isnt much point if you overshoot by 1 spot or are behind it by 1!) Also you can claim the rewards from the chest as many times as you want in a game if you are given the chance =]

Power Ups:

Pretty much all of the power ups are useful, but I will outline the most important ones so that you know when to use them, and not waste them!
    (N.B: Descriptions of all the power ups are found here)
    http://www.thedailyneopets.com/neopets- ... -powerups/

Loaded Gummy Die:
    If possible dont use this powerup until you are within 6 spaces of the chest, because you can then use it to land exactly on the chest with no chance involved!

Transporter Helmet:
    This is useful if you have been moved somewhere you dont really want to be and your opponent is near where you want to be, just use it and you swap positions!

Pocket Portal:
    This is very useful in the closing stages of the game as you can move to 5 spaces from the green door straight away. However dont hesitate to use this if it will give you an advantage because they do appear rather often.

Misdirected Compass:
    Really useful if you need to change your direction, or if your opponent is nearing the finish then you just turn him around! Keep it on you unless you need to use it as it does help alot at the end of a game.

Powerups that change keys/swap them:
    These are useful either if you have an extra key of one color, or alternatively if your opponent has all the keys then just change one of them (White is the best as its the furthest away from the door) to another color!

Key stealing power ups:
    Well, pretty obvious what to do with these!

Giant Lint Ball:
    This is useful if your opponent is near a key, and also it means that if you play a minigame then it doesnt matter (as much) if you lose, due to them not being able to get anything from it.

Rainbow Sticky Hand:
    The sticky hand is a VERY important item because it is the only good way to defend against key grabbers or key color changers. In my eyes, the key color changer and the key grabbers are the biggest game changers, so you always want to make sure that your opponent doesn't have one of these if you can help it (use a tornado ring, or steal it with the sticky hand)

I think thats all for the powerups! Please tell me if I have forgotten anything!

Minigames:
    Now these annoy me greatly, because the person who wins is normally the person that has the fastest computer... You can learn how to play them just from reading the instructions and they are really simple but here's a few tips on them:

Poogle race/dart game:
    You need to click your mouse, then move it upward a little bit, then let go to make your poogle move.. Basically it doesnt really matter if you are that accurate, so click away as fast as you can, even if you cant see the arrow come up you will still throw the dart. NOTE: you need to click within the racing area, you cant click above the bottom od the dart board...

Spider eye thing:
    This game really is lame.. but just watch out where your eyes are facing and the green things are worth more points than the others, but if you get the purple ones then you have a chance of freezing the other player in place.. up to you.

Maze:
    If you took my advice at the beginning and you choose the same color each time then this is easier for you as the maze is exactly the same. Try not to stop moving at all because it is all about speed, when you reach the brown door things (you'll know what I mean when you play it) once you get next to it just continuously hit the direction key towards it, because it will break eventually!

Flower Growing:
    There are 2 places where you can water 2 plants at a time.. The first is roughly 5 pixels right of the second seed, so just put your mouse there and double click, see what happens, move according to which one grows if only one does. The other one is on the left hand side of the right seed.. I'll post a screenshot of the positions when im next in the minigame!) Also, grow them all first and then cut them, saves time =]

Petpet catching loopy thing:
    I didnt realise this at first but at the top is a petpet that is higlighted, you have to do a loop around those petpets, not just random ones!

Nova Match Game:

Just your standard match 2 novas that look the same. The only key to this game is having a really fast connection.

Clean the Meowclops Game:

This game is straightforward, just hold down the left mous key in order to shoot water out of the hose and try to keep your water hitting a dirty area of the meowclops. The trick to this game is to get used to the pattern of movement of the meowclops. It is the same movement and the same timing every time.

Digging game:

This game is straightforward...just dig to the bottom as fast as you can..if there are a lot of gems all in one area then you might want to go through there to get the extra points, but if not, just go as fast as you can to the bottom

Simon Says Game:

Again, striaghtforward, repeat the pattern that you have just been shown. The key to this game is to click through the pattern as fast as possible. Don't wait to watch each square light up and such, just remember the pattern and click away...you will get extra patterns in that way.

Thats it for minigames! Now this is the important thing..

PRIZES:
    As well as the small NP reward after winning a game (1000-3000+), you will recieve a key. A Gold Key or a Silver Key depending on if you won or not.. Now you will see why its better to win =]

Link to prize list: http://games.sunnyneo.com/keyquest/?sec ... st#content

And yes you do get paintbrushes from it, I received 2 today, Cloud and Snow.
    In fact daily if you turn in all the keys you will get about 5-10 codestones, 5-10 neggs and other random stuff! Very profitable, not to mention the Map Pieces!

NOTE: You win 4 items from Gold keys and 3-4 from Silver.

I know that this is a rather random guide, more based on tips than actual help but I hope that it helps you out anyway!

Please post any comments you have and/or improvements so that i can make it better!

Thanks for reading
    Beardi

(Final Note: Once you start to play.. you will no doubt come across someone who, just when you are about to win, quits the game. This is highly annoying as sometimes it happens many times in a row.. The only solution to this that I can see is to either post on the KQ neoboards and find someone who doesnt quit. Or alternatively I have an idea of composing a list of players from neofriends that wont quit on you that you can add to your friends list on neopets and ask for a game if you wish. Please give some feedback on this final point if you think its good/bad!)

People that have contributed to the guide:
    -Ice Nine (Minigames + Power Ups)-
    -Angasor43 (Reminded me about quitters!)-

This Guide was written by me, Beardi, for use on neofriends.net ONLY. If you wish to post somewhere else then please ask me before hand an I will most likely accept as long as I am credited. If you rip this you will be discovered!​

lanabubalo13, lazypando and Freja like this.
  2. sammyz408

sammyz408 Level I

Wow 300k in day, that's a lot of nps. Nice little guide by the way, ill take that path from now on. Most my wins comes from power ups tho, always screwing up the other player when he has all the keys.

3. benglishopia

benglishopia Newbie

do they still give away paintbrushes?

4. beardi

beardi Level I

Yeah they do still give away paintbrushes =]

5. Ice Nine

Ice Nine Level IV

I don't comepletely agree with some of the strategy, but this guide is much better than anything that has already been posted here.

Just a few things: You are missing a bunch of minigames, and I think there are some important powerups that you are missing as well...I'll list a few that I can remember off the top of my head:

Mini Games:

Nova Match Game: Just your standard match 2 novas that look the same. The only key to this game is having a really fast connection.

Clean the Meowclops Game: This game is straightforward, just hold down the left mous key in order to shoot water out of the hose and try to keep your water hitting a dirty area of the meowclops. The trick to this game is to get used to the pattern of movement of the meowclops. It is the same movement and the same timing every time.

Digging game: This game is straightforward...just dig to the bottom as fast as you can..if there are a lot of gems all in one area then you might want to go through there to get the extra points, but if not, just go as fast as you can to the bottom

Simon Says Game: Again, striaghtforward, repeat the pattern that you have just been shown. The key to this game is to click through the pattern as fast as possible. Don't wait to watch each square light up and such, just remember the pattern and click away...you will get extra patterns in that way.

That might be it, there might be more *shrugs*

Powerups:

The sticky hand is a VERY important item because it is the only good way to defend against key grabbers or key color changers. In my eyes, the key color changer and the key grabbers are the biggest game changers, so you always want to make sure that your opponent doesn't have one of these if you can help it (use a tornado ring, or steal it with the sticky hand)

You also might want to talk about token alignment (water, air, fire, earth, dark) and where those spots are so that you might get a SUPER POWERUP. If you get lucky and get a super keygrabber, you have a REALLY big advantage :p

6. beardi

beardi Level I

Thanks for the submission, I didnt include the other games because they rely entirely on your internet connection, which I already stated is the case in most of the minigames, but I will add what you have written to the guide now and credit you for it =]

In response to the token alignment, in 2 player games I find that I rarely land on them and when I do I have only recieved the super powerups once out of around 180 games.. Hence I didnt post that bit on as you can't really aim to get them, they are completely random and I assume that most people have the common sense to use them responsibly when they get them!

7. Freja

Freja Level IV

wow, this is so detailed ^^; it's the best one I've come across - thanks alot!
    +rep :)

8. beardi

beardi Level I

=] cheers for the rep!

Please let me know of anything that you would like me to add!

9. lazypando

lazypando Level IV

nice guide
    +20 cash :)

10. Ice Nine

Ice Nine Level IV

True that you can't really aim to land on your alignment square (although every time you land there you get a super powerup, I assume you meant that you only get the super key grabber once in 180 games) but it does affect how I play the game. I use a cybunny token, whos alignment is earth...so I like to start in the lower right corner and I sometimes get a nice superpowerup on the first turn...I feel that they are much more effective early game, so it gives me a big boost in the beginning.

I dunno, I only play KQ on a computer that has a really good graphics card and a fast connection, so I do really well at games and stuff...so my startegies don't apply to everyone, but I generally do pretty well (I'd say I win these days something like 9/10 times assuming the other player doesnt quit right before I win -_-) so if you have any questions, just let me know and I can try to help :p :)

11. hawoo

hawoo Level I

i had won a tyrannian and starry pb the other day from KQ. very profitable as said.

12. Angasor43

Angasor43 Newbie

If i could give a little advice myself, i find it a lot easier to play complete games of key quest when you play with your friends on Neopets. It becomes extremely aggravating when you are playing a game and about to win and the loser player just quits. I cannot tell you how many gold keys i have lost because of that. EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING! I wish there was something that they could do about this but... i don't know what. If they made it so you got a gold key and all your NP when some one else quit then people would definitely take advantage of that. But they should atleast make it so that you get a silver key or something.... Any way the only solution for now it to play with you friends because stupid people will quit unless they get a gold key. Any one have any solutions? I would love to hear them....

13. Angasor43

Angasor43 Newbie

P.S. Extremely good lay out. Its good to know the routes to take from any starting point. I only have one route before ....XD Thanks.

14. beardi

beardi Level I

(Please dont double post - just edit your last post)

Thanks for the advice, and I have that problem too.. quitters quitters quitters.. I was thinking of actually organising a Key Quest player base on here so that people from neofriends could play each other in confidence knowing that the other person wont quit! Thanks for the feedback and I will add something about quitting to the guide and reference you =]!

15. Angasor43

Angasor43 Newbie

I think organizing something like that is a easy fix to the problem actually.... now i am wondering why i have never thought of that before -_-. But good thing someone has a brain! Let me know if you do because i get bored at work a lot and would love to play some KQ without stupid quitters. AND thanks for the reference!

16. beardi

beardi Level I

Not sure where to post it on the forums though.. Ill have a look =] Np for the reference, if someone helps I'm not gonna ignore it lawl =]

EDIT: Posted in general neopets chat!

Shawn likes this.
  17. llnight

llnight Level I

Good job with the guide =]
    I got 8 gold keys with the strategy *.*
    thanks a lot =]

18. lanabubalo13

lanabubalo13 Level II

very nice guide, made 45k today off of this :) I recommend this to anyone hehe

19. dragonisk

dragonisk Level II

hey, just wanted to say thanks for the guide! helped me earn a pb!

20. migratory

migratory Level I

A really easy way to get through fast key quest games is to just play with one of your friends.
    Every game both players gets all 5 keys, and then take turns finishing the game. This way
    the games are shorter and you alternate getting dual and gold keys..