1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOST

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Angelika, Apr 6, 2010.

1. creeping_death

creeping_death Level I

The ones that were trying to escape did for the most part. Some were left back on the island because they had more to do

2. Thyxon

Thyxon Newbie

the more I watch, the more I get confused :( x_x

3. tarzan993

tarzan993 Level I

So true. Lost had absolutely the worst ending ever. Them all dying defeats the purpose of their accomplishments. You could use this type of ending on any show and it would not look different.

This is how lost should have really ended.
    [​IMG]

4. thedup

thedup Level IV

haha, yes, the dog dreamed it all. beautiful

the problem is they didn't really explain it. they might all have died after living a long and healthy life, and then respawned as their island life selves to pass on. it's lost though, so why would they want us to not be confused

5. cupcandy

cupcandy Newbie

Some people I know were saying: It's about human being, about "live together die alone", the famous quote that Jack says in the Pilot episode. C'mon, IT IS NOT. You tell me that you started to watch Lost because of people? What about all the mysteries?
    I think the Final was emotional yes, but so frustrating.

6. Charlie

Charlie Level IV

Face it, it suxz0red but 24 ended even worse.

7. Galifanakis

Galifanakis Level I

At first I hated the ending to Lost. I think I was so caught up in the mysteries and the science and the theories that I lost sight of the characters. I just finished rewatching the series and the ending worked so perfectly. I let go of my expectations, and realized that it was a great ending. The show has always been about these characters and their relationships - yes we've had mysteries and crazy things happening, but it was happening to these people and they reacted and interacted. This was the most important time of their life, these were the most important people of their lives, and after reconciling with themselves and their own issues they are allowed to live on simply and happily in some sort of vague afterlife... Which reminds me - I very much like how the church that they are in has pieces of many different religions within it, particularly in the stain glass. I was always on the science side of the man-of-faith/man-of-science argument, but now I realize that wasn't what it was about. It was just about characters and relationships with a backdrop of literary and sciencey intrigue. Also, Matthew Fox needs an Emmy if only for that final scene with his end and with his father. I'm certain that's the part he probably submitted to the academy :)

Also, complete series comes out tomorrow! Going to buy the collector's edition. :D

8. powerof0

powerof0 Level III

http://www.tvovermind.com/abc/lost/revi ... rge/27806/

They are releasing a mini-episode that will address some unanswered questions. Not sure how much they can squeeze into 12 minutes, but they better address as many questions as possible because I watched LOST mainly for the mythology....

9. Galifanakis

Galifanakis Level I

I think my love of lost mythology was increased by the fact that they didn't answer all the questions. They answered the questions that were important to the characters, and the rest was never meant to be answered. I think it would have been awkward to just answer questions willy-nilly... And now we can theorize and almost never be wrong since there's no concrete answer to most questions.

I'm pretty sure the "mini" episode is the short that is being released on the series DVDs about Hurley and Ben's times on the island :) Unless there's something else they're doing? Apparently they address a number of things, but the two they have divulged are about the Hurley-bird and the Dharma drop from season 2 (which is the one thing I've always wanted answered, mostly because they promised they would explain it... Which I assumed would come in the form of a Lapidus-centric episode, where we would discover that the Dharma drop is his connection to the island. O:

10. powerof0

powerof0 Level III

I am trying to look past the fact that most of the questions were not answered, because the character development was done superbly and the entire point of LOST is arguably the character development, not the mythology. However, I still can't seem to let it go because the writers initially appeared to set up a grand scheme that they meant to resolve, but disappointingly, the mysteries turned out to be nothing but a tool to increase the suspense of the series and the writers probably never even bothered to think of a resolution to begin with....

11. Galifanakis

Galifanakis Level I

I disagree with that. To me, the Island is supposed to be a mystery. If we understood the island and the things happening there, people wouldn't like the series as much. The mystery is part of the intrigue. The mysteries are not just a tool, they are the personality of the island. I also believe the writers did think of a resolution, otherwise there wouldn't be so many clear connections - otherwise they wouldn't have had a set endpoint that everything culminates to.

12. powerof0

powerof0 Level III

Well, I guess it's just a matter of taste. I like to have every little mystery resolved, even if it ruins the atmosphere. As a result, I tend to be disappointed by movie/TV endings that are vague or "up to the viewer's interpretation."

It's a little disappointing, but unsurprisingly the mini episode didn't answer much at all...

13. Galifanakis

Galifanakis Level I

Well to each their own. When everything gets explained it completely ruins the show, because it throws all of the emotion out of the picture, and without the emotion there's absolutely zero human interest in a show or movie.

14. powerof0

powerof0 Level III

Well, I'm sure that addressing more of the mysteries wouldn't necessarily remove all emotion from the show, if they do it correctly. There's no way of telling now though, since the show's over. :(

Now I just have to find something else to watch in place of LOST, but I can't seem to find anything similar...

15. Galifanakis

Galifanakis Level I

I know! Lost is that one-time phenomena that we probably won't be able to find again. :( Flashforward played in a similar field, but it got cancelled. Hopefully something else will come up that is just as captivating (or at least close)

16. powerof0

powerof0 Level III

Someone recommended that I watch Life on Mars (the British series) and its sequel, Ashes to Ashes. But can they (or anything) ever match LOST????

There's also Fringe, which has some alternate universe elements, but it's probably going to get canceled before the plot gets resolved....

17. Galifanakis

Galifanakis Level I

No, they can't D: Personally, I wasn't a huge fan of Life on Mars (the British one) but I really enjoyed the Western version. Jason O'Mara was great. :D

And Fringe is awesome, and popular. It's going into it's third season, so I don't see it getting cancelled anytime soon... Plus Fringe is made by J.J. Abrams (who made Lost) and there are Lost references. For example, there was an Oceanic brochure in a dead man's house in one episode xD

18. powerof0

powerof0 Level III

Woohoo, we seem to have similar tastes in TV programs! Are you watching anything right now? Can I get some recommendations?

As for Fringe, I've already started watching it, but I kind of don't want to get too invested because the second season suffered a sudden drop in viewership from ~10 million to 5-7 million (argh what is wrong with you viewers???). If the ratings drop any more in the third season, it's going to get canceled for sure!

19. Galifanakis

Galifanakis Level I

Fox seems to have faith in it, as they've put a pretty good amount into marketing. I hope it stays D: John Noble is awesome.

Right now it's summer, so there's not much going on... But I find The Good Guys really funny, which has been airing over the summer. It's not amazing, but I also find Persons Unknown intriguing. When it's bad, it's bad, but when it's good I find it very good - verging on Stephen King-esque, if you're into that. Lie to Me has finished up it's season over the summer, and I adore Tim Roth, so it's been a great run (particularly for a procedural)... I watch a lot of TV. x)

20. powerof0

powerof0 Level III

Thanks for the recs!

A friend also said that I should watch Sherlock, Torchwood (quite a selection of British shows, hm), Dexter, and Breaking Bad. Have you seen these?