1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Olympics

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Clumsy, Feb 8, 2010.

1. knocturne

knocturne Level I

That's exactly how most people are. Many people just don't give the winter olympics a chance, but some of the sports are just plain intense.

Where else can you slide 90 mph on ice? And anything with Apollo Ohno is entertaining.

2. thedup

thedup Level IV

so my parents love figure skating, and that's definitely the event that gets the most screentime in my house. I was fortunate enough to watch history made as not only canada, but north america got it's first gold medal in figure skating, going to the youngest team to ever win a gold, and they even managed to set a 3rd record as being the first team to win in their olympic debut
    anyway, it was pretty glorious. Really happy to see how it all went down

3. LightTiger

LightTiger Level IV

i love figure skating too!

does anyone read macleans? they had an article about the weird clothing some countries were wearing

4. knocturne

knocturne Level I

No, but i think i might know what you're referring to.There was a country that tried to dress up in Australian Aboriginal tribal costume and tried to do a traditional dance in the ice dancing sport. They were greatly crticized because the actual tribal leaders were offended by the costume and dance.

5. Clumsy

Clumsy Level III

Canada just won gold in Women's Ski Cross - first time the event was ever held at the Olympics and a Canadian took the gold! Woot!!

6. iggypop

iggypop Level I

i'm actually pretty mad about ski cross.

so i've been watching the whole event and then ctv decides to take a stupid break while the semi-finals of ski cross are going on. So i'm flipping through the channels trying to find a channel that is airing the event cause i know two canadians are still in it and eventually a news channel is like "breaking news, canada has won gold" and i was like nooooo i wanted to watch it happen.

but anyways....thats pretty great. even if we are 5 in the medal standing. considering canada has a population of 33 million, i think thats pretty great. :D

7. LightTiger

LightTiger Level IV

awesome! is ski cross seriously the first time?

8. iggypop

iggypop Level I

if your question was, was it the first time it's been in the olympics, then yes. it's pretty awesome.
    i think, maybe, that snowboard cross has only been in the olympics a couple of times.
    i was dissapointed that women's ski jump wasn't put in the olympics this year. i understand when both men and women versions of the sport aren't accepted but how is it fair that men are allowed to and women arent. they should let women compete with the men, if they qualify. that would be cool :p

9. knocturne

knocturne Level I

Maybe their weren't enough women qualified to compete?

Anyways, WHOA Germany caught up to US pretty fast, we were beating them by like 10 medals last time i checked a day or two ago and now we're only beating them by 3.

(by we i mean U.S.)

10. LightTiger

LightTiger Level IV

it would be cool

11. Drumstick

Drumstick Level III

Canadaaaaaaaa

I predict 10 gold medals for us by the end. =)

PS
    Canada Vs Russia

Who's excited? =D

12. LightTiger

LightTiger Level IV

w00t me!!!!!!!

anyway, us has like 26 medals nw

13. Clumsy

Clumsy Level III

It is going to be one hell of a tough game for Canada to win...they are really going to need to dig deep because Ovi is going to be out for blood. But God to I hope they have the balls to pull it off...it was bad enough losing to the Americans, I don't think I could handle a loss to the Russians..

14. thedup

thedup Level IV

losing to the americans is worse than the thought of losing to the russians

15. Drumstick

Drumstick Level III

The reason Canada only has 11 medals is because we have 7 4th place finishes, and 10+ 5th places. Pissing me off. It's so stupid. We only have 1 bronze. 6 gold, 4 silver, 1 bronze. I find that funny. It's kinda like, "Go big or go home. Gold or nothing." xD

Yea, losing to USA is much worse than losing to the Russians.

PS Who's watching 5000m long track? Clara Hughes is gonna win =D New track record. Raped it by 2 seconds.

16. LightTiger

LightTiger Level IV

yeah, its annoying. when you get 4th place and you like: "DRAT! I almost got that dumb medal"

17. l_royalty_l

l_royalty_l Level I

Im upset, I missed the luge and skeleton. I really wanted to see more of that.

Everytime it seems to be ice skating, Im really getting tired of ice skating.

I wish there would be something more exciting when I turn on the tv :p

18. Drumstick

Drumstick Level III

Goddamn, Clara Hughes got bronze. LOL second bronze. But the other skaters were mad good. Good job Clara!

People are so crazy, thinking that "Owning the Podium" is what the olympics is about. Sure, I want my home country to so as well as possible. But the Olympics are a dream for all of these athletes from when they were kids.

I still want to go to the olympics, for beach volleyball. And I've been working hard at it for years now. It's been a dream of mine as well since I was about 7 or so to go to the olympics, but I didn't get good, serious training till I was about 10. I dunno, I guess I'm trying to say that I have a similar mindset to these athletes, and so I can kind of relate to them. And I know what kind of intensity and determination, as well as just the countless hours needed to maybe have a CHANCE at achieving the ultimate dream for an athlete.

PS Women's Bobsleigh tonight. Go Canada! Canada 1 is in first right now, Canada 2 is in 5th I believe. We have a chance at two medals =D

19. Heather

Heather Level IV

Yea I agree. It's more about the fight/accomplishment of getting to the olympics from the perspective of the entire world and not just your own country. I love watching the back stories of all of the competitors and some of their struggles/accomplishments are very impressive.. and sometimes make me root for someone who's not from the USA ;)

20. Drumstick

Drumstick Level III

I love the Olympic journey thing they do on CTV, I dunno if they do that in USA. I love it.

PS Canada is up 3-1 =D