Should fast food ads be banned?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by deathcraze, Apr 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deathcraze

deathcraze Level III

I know this may seem like a dumb question to ask, but where I live (Malaysia) the government has recently decided to implement a ban on fast food ads through television.

Reason given being that it would help combat obesity among kids who are influenced by watching the adverts.

Do you think this decision is reasonable, and why?

2. cameronCRUNK

cameronCRUNK Level IV

No.

I don't think fast food restaurants should suffer because of obesity. I don't think fast food restaurants are the problem with obesity. That's like blaming murders on the manufacturer of the weapon used or typos on the keyboard.

Yes, they have the ability to do that, but they weren't intended to be used that way, or in the case of fast food, to be eaten alot.

3. Summertime_Blues

Summertime_Blues Level III

I'm really tired of the fat people who constantly blame their being fat on the food. It's not the food, it's the fact that they can't tell themselves to stop freaking eating. Like the person who sued McDonalds because they got diabetes or something, like McDonalds put a gun to their heads and made them eat all those cheeseburgers. People need to learn how to take responsibility for their own actions. Kids should be able to learn healthy eating from their parents. If their parents teach them good nutrition then they should have no problem picking an apple over ice cream.

4. Steve Miller Band

No, I think the government could do more powerful things like implement something in schools that makes students take physical education until they graduate from high school.

5. Summertime_Blues

Summertime_Blues Level III

Some schools do that, like in California you need at least 2 years of phys ed to graduate. But most kids don't really work out they just half ass it and get an easy C. You can't make kids to be healthy all you can do is try to make them understand that being healthy is important. We'd also have to teach them the difference between being skinny and being healthy.

6. Angelika

Angelika Moderator

There shouldn't be a ban on fast food ads. Fast food restaurants shouldn't risk losing money just because there are too many fatties eating there. People should have more self control...it's pretty simple.

7. jfur_x

jfur_x Level III

Fast food places shouldn't have to suffer because parent's refuse to take responsibility for their children. I'm sorry but if you have a child it's your job to teach them healthy eating habits. It seems like parents these days are too "busy", or maybe it's just lazy, to feed their children well. And when their kids ask for fast food they give in instead of putting their foot down and showing their children that they're the ones in charge.

8. Jaggerrr

Jaggerrr Level IV

If you stop ads for fast food, then you should really stop ads for all restraunts. Tonnes of fatties go to other restraunts and gorge themselves on their food aswell right?

Well if your going to ban fast food ad's.. What about Subway, its healthy fast food right? 8)

9. fightthepower

fightthepower Newbie

Risk a business's integrity because a percent of the population can't control themselves? Hah. Sounds more like an idea from one of America's activists groups. Seriously, how can someone sue because they could not stop themselves from cramming their gullet full of deep fried meat flavored fat? </rant>

10. NHStephen

NHStephen Level IV

why that would mess up like everthing its an ad tv show wouldnt be on tha much if they did that

11. punkeydew

punkeydew Level IV

No as that would violate their rights. Its just food

eaten in moderation like everything else it poses no threat.

People just choose to be ignorant and abuse their eating habits into being obese and siince they are so obese that they cant work they sue for their money

Free minds people, they arent brainwashing everyone

just because i see a mcdonalds add every 5 SECONDS doesnt make me want to go get a big mac. Besides all of the fat and calories do you know what kind of quality ingrediants go into there.. VERY POOR

Go Green! Buy Organic!

lol

12. americanpierg

americanpierg Level III

america is one of the most liberal countries in the world, even if we dont feel that its true. I think its a rediculous idea to ban fast food ads, but whatever, each country to their own

13. cameronCRUNK

cameronCRUNK Level IV

I don't understand this? Why would tv not be on as much if fast food ads were banned? Not that I agree that fast food ads should be banned, I just don't understand what you're saying.

14. Steve Miller Band

I believe they should, fast food is like cigarettes, cigarette advertisements are banned here so should fast food advertisements.

15. cameronCRUNK

cameronCRUNK Level IV

well, and no arguments or offense is met by this, but I don't consider food as dangerous as smoking?

16. daydee

daydee Level III

No I don't think fast food ads should be banned! Adverts are shown to entice people to buy a product, I see an advert for a pizza, looks good so I order it, I don't eat it for every meal! There are loads of people who see adverts for fast food and enjoy it but are not unhealthy, as said before it is all about moderation and self control.

People need to take responsibility for their own actions, if we start saying, its not your fault your obese it's the adverts! Then people will start thinking it's not their fault they have lung cancer from smoking its the tabacco company, not their fault they killed someone it was the violent TV they watch. Especially in countires such as USA and UK where there is so much education and awareness people know if they eat fast food all the time they will get fat, those people who are overweight made the concious decision to eat.

17. kekoa

kekoa Newbie

NO!

Fat people should just get sent to a world where all there is to eat is salad and natural snack bars that are healthy for you and then we skinny people can eat fast food till we fall to our knees.

18. pandahorde

pandahorde Level IV

same here im skinny too.. your right.
    fast food should always be there , everywhere.. it is important to every people in our lives,

19. x0angelus0x

x0angelus0x Level III

That's kinda harsh don't you think. Anyway, fast food should not be totally banned. Do you feel like waking up when you found out KFC, McDonald or BurgerKIng don't exist. Besides, eating fast food once in a while won't hurt unless you're the type who can't control your appetite....

20. goldfishrockster

goldfishrockster Level III

Macdonalds is digusting anyway, I've had it twice in the last four years and both times I've wanted to throw up for the rest of the day. Bleh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.