1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should kids be exposed at a young age to electronics/compute

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by superperson, Oct 23, 2007.

1. suuwuu

suuwuu Newbie

hell ya

2. Zer0

Zer0 Level IV

I agree, back when I was a kid, I used to go outside all the time to the park where I could always find some of my friends. Nowadays, kids never go outside and play, they just sit around the house playing their minds off.

Attached Files:

3. abbybaby

abbybaby Level II

i would say thay since times have changed kids should know how to work with the computer because most of my classes require to know and do things on the computer. Kids should learn about it and be exposed to it cause when i was younger i learned how to type and work all the programs at an early age and it has helped me with some online college classes and such

4. HWarrior

HWarrior Level I

I know I spend too much time on the computer most of the time, but it is the thing I do and enjoy. I think it is alright, but just not ALL the time.

And I have a not that good reason why I dont normally go out at weekends, I dont have good friends, and my friends I talk to on the internet xD. I still go out though.

5. softball

softball Level III

no

i believe kids should learn the natural way....school

Attached Files:

6. lub

lub Newbie

I would say let them, mainly because it is more dangerous outside where more people are, than inside by the t.v! Also, I would monitor what they watch! Just an opinion though :).

7. Tofurky

Tofurky Level IV

This is spam. Two word answers do not contribute to the discussion whatsoever.

Also, I grew up without video games and cable television. The whole time I had wanted my parents to buy these things, and I would beg them over and over.

But now that I waited and learned to appreciate what I had/have, I really realize how foolish I was. My parents bought these things for our household last year, and because I had grown up without them, I barely use them.

I am so thankful my parents did not listen to me. My younger sister (10 years younger) is now growing up with these things, and I can tell how it affects her. She uses phrases and attitudes from television shows which are disrespectful. She also has a harder time learning than me and my older siblings did.

I think electronics should be exposed in high school years, because by then you will have learned how to live your life without them.

8. Naff

Naff Level II

I think that they should in moderation. I know, I know, everything is Ok in moderation...what ever. It is kinda sad because some of my younger family friends want to just sit inside and play video games. Im not gonna lie, I have my days like that, but its all the time with them!

9. Khang685

Khang685 Newbie

Hmm i agree with the previous comment. Anything is good if done in moderation. In this case, in the modern technology we are living in today, it is inevitable that children will become exposed to electronics media. We should therefore try not to limit thier usage and deprive them of their childhood, but rather to try and control their amt of time spent, not by force or chiding but rather by reasoning with them about the negative consequences.

10. FastBullet

FastBullet Level IV

Well to quote Albert Einstein :
    "Technological change is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal."

I think that many kids should be exposed at a young age to computers (not at games) because later they will make new programming languages or new concepts that we haven't been thinking yet.

But as everyone said, moderation is the key word here. :maha:

11. bigjohn

bigjohn Level II

I totally agree, my 4 year old is now comfortable with using the mouse and using educational websites like http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies
    Games are discouraged except some educational and time on PC is limited
    to 1 hour and is supervised.

12. 9ontheriver

9ontheriver Level I

I do think they should so when they grow up they arent like cavemen lol

13. Jane

Jane Level IV

The younger the child is, the worse it is. Once the kid starts getting older, it'll be fine to use it more and more since that's what we do.

14. cokaine

cokaine Level III

who is there to blame for all of this? human ..
    dont know y u guys debate on this one..
    if so what r u guys doing now? ur using electronics/computer etc..
    u prob die young cause of radiation though =/
    to me im neutral =D

15. Ephemeral

Ephemeral Level II

I agree with this completely. I think it would be foolish to expose a young child to many electronic devices at young age. I believe that they hinder mental and physical growth because children rarely can practice the necessary self control to limit themselves. Hell, I can't either. On the other hand, I do believe that after a certain age, children do need to be exposed to computers and other electronics because they need experience with the technology that's shaping the era we live in.

The question for me is -- What's the proper age? My family bought our first home computer around when I was 9, and by 10 I was spending large amounts of time on it. I wish I had been exposed later; perhaps something closer to age 11. I don't think it necessarily hindered my mental growth, (my sister may be another story) but I do feel that I would be a better high school baseball player now if I had spent more time playing outside back then.

The problem is that, at least where I live, by 11 I was expected to do school projects requiring competency with a computer. I think school forces children to be exposed to computers earlier than may be good for them. I'm sure there will be plenty of studies that come out on this within the next few decades.

16. draikwarrior92

I would want to have a mix let them get into to sports that way the will be more willing to play outside then to just sit and be a couch potato.

17. lucasgrabeelrocks

no way, so many kids get addicted to computers, it'll ruin them

18. wessypoo

wessypoo Level I

why would it matter. how you feel if some a-hole took computers from you because they considered you "too young"

19. wessypoo

wessypoo Level I

why not

20. danman

danman Level I

I SAY THE YOUNGER THE BETTER! the world economy is run based on computers and the internet. if they don't get involved they will never fit in...i mean get jobs and work