1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should kids be exposed at a young age to electronics/compute

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by superperson, Oct 23, 2007.

1. chikorita_S

chikorita_S Level I

I was exposed to the computer at like, 4 or 5 years old maybe, but I have never been addicted, homework always comes first in my mind.

2. dreamlorde

dreamlorde Level III

oh lord..... whether you think it's right or wrong, it's going to happen. the best you can do nowadays is try to minimize the damage.

personally, i think humanity as a whole should have stopped making technological advancements altogether a while back. didn't stop anyone though.

3. Yuskei

Yuskei Newbie

BALANCE

There's nothing wrong in exposing children to electronics, but it's up to the parents to show that there is a world outside of the screen. The problem is that many parents are more than happy to leave the child alone and let the computer do the teaching. It's really no wonder that many kids are addicted to electronics when you think about how much these machines can "help" the parents.

4. MickaelH

MickaelH Level I

This is kinda... special. Some here are saying "electronics, computers, etc. should not exist" but... you ARE playing computer. If you're here, it's because you like playing computer ; you're playing neopets, etc. Personally, I love computer, I'm addicted, yes, but I also love singing, and I'm singing every day, on my computer. Also, I'm doing sports, lot of sports.

In conclusion, it depends. If you're playing a lot computer, but you are active, and on the computer you're doing intelligent things, like singing for me, it's ok. But if you're a no life, like you're playing every day, every hours, not doing sports, and that what your doing won't influence your future, it's starting to be sad.

Young children can be exposed to computer and electronics but there parents must limit them. Also, like I heard before, babies don't need electronics things to learn to talk, walk, etc. This is starting to be stupid, but computers, game console are OK when you're young, fi you're parents limit you. Then, when you're older, it's your choice. If you choose to be a no life, well assume it, but also have the right to change your mind.

5. kelc3949

kelc3949 Level I

Yeah I think it should be like the old fashioned days with no computer and gameboy....but look at you guys are on the computer too....and probably addicted almost like me......I should read a book....

6. mjnskivt

mjnskivt Level III

i know that one of the main reasons that america has such a huge problem with obesity is because everyone has all their electronics. its gotten to the point where instead of going outside and playing football, kids would rather sit inside and play madden. all the new technology for toddlers is just going to encourage more kids to turn to electronics as they grow up.

7. Spit

Spit Level II

Im mixed on this.
    It really depends on what type of parents the kid has.

If your 13 and can have friends over, and have plenty of things to do during the day then id say no you shouldnt let your kids have many electronics.

But if your the type of parent who doesnt let your kid hang out or go anywhere and your basically strict like my parents were then id say let your kid have at least something to play with.
    Many kids who cant hang out or chat around the preteen or early teen years become suicidal or even homocidal.

One kid shot his dad in the head for taking away the internet. His dad was super strict and wouldnt let him hang out or talk to anyone. So the net was his only way to escape.

I was suicial for years for the same reason and ended up getting locked up and put on medication.

Then parents who are strict blame the net or electronics for the kid being suicidal but its often the parents fault.

Edit: Person above me... Your post really looks like spam.

8. 777

777 Level I

Yes and no.... I think it is bad for kids but it can't be denied that computers are becoming a way of life

9. Theangeltyreal

This might just be my opinion.. but there really is no debate in this:p, of course you expose them to technology, it would be wrongful if you didn't. Listen here, the future is going to be full of technology, our cars, televisions, even refrigerator's do now! If we don't expose our children to these things now, they may be inept at it in the future, which is bad for them! Plus, technology is awesome, who doesn't want it?

P.S Don't expose your children to Mac's.. They may slowly devour them...

10. tierbone

tierbone Newbie

In moderation, yes. Being exposed to the Science and Math involved with computers at an early age greatly improves their want to learn when it comes to school and beyond.

11. fail

fail Level IV

with electronics like Fonix, or however you spell it, no. but things like gameboys, i dont think it matters. at the age of 4 I was playing Buzz Lightyear on my PSX. I play at least 4hours of games a day. whether its my GBA,DS,PSP,360,PC or anything else, kids should know when to quit. I mean, ive had all A's since Kindergarten and im still going! it just depends on the kids, the ones with bad grades and whatnot, need to focus more instead of staying the night at a friends house playing Xbox.

12. dahero18

dahero18 Level II

yeah but till today i play games like mad, and i regret it because i now have glasses and my vision sucks balls

coulda spent my time getting better at soccer *angry face*

13. xxmidnytxx

xxmidnytxx Newbie

i think kids as young as 10 should be allowed.

14. Molly

Molly Level III

I think it's alright as long as you limit the time they spend playing games and get them to play outside and with friends.
    Just don't get them into the habit of spending hours and hours playing and I think it would be okay.

15. xxmidnytxx

xxmidnytxx Newbie

i still say no today when im in a better mood.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

As long as the parents set limits to how long kids be vegetables per day,then it doesnt matter.

17. Forlulz

Forlulz Newbie

These days, it is practically essential for one to be well versed with electronics. I work for a software development company, and if I hadn't started on computers etc. early on, I really doubt I would have known enough to even make it in the computer industry. Not that I am MAKING IT, but I'm doing okay and loving my job. :)

Thanks mom and dad, for that beautiful Windows 95 wonder machine so many years ago. :)

It is definitely important to set limits though, I agree with that statement.

18. Freja

Freja Level IV

I dont think they should be exposed for it at a very young age like 5-10. Maybe at 13-14 or something. That would be easier. I've been addicted since I was 11 or something XD (18 today)

19. Knux

Knux Level I

Well technology is taking over, jobs are hard to come by that dont require computers...

20. amanda121

amanda121 Level I

probably yes,but with some limits.parents should control them.computer is bad for eyes by the way