1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should Pot Be Legalized?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by X Joe Kickass X, Dec 1, 2006.

?

Should Pot Be Legalized?

1. Yes

47 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. micorazonesazul

micorazonesazul Level III

Um- Personally, before I argue a topic I usually have done research or know something about what I'm arguing about. ;) . Marijuana actually used to be prescribed by doctors for medicinal uses. Tetrahydrocannabinol (think thats how it's spelled), computers too slow for googling right now. It was only banned because people would overdo it and use it for pure recreational uses. Only because it was illegal...

I like this forum lol. 8)

2. Mr.Underhill

Mr.Underhill Level I

well yeah but if you use it in hospitals then its legal

i thought he/she meant(the topic starter) pot legalized for everyone

3. micorazonesazul

Er. It's banned in hospitals now.
    And I'm assuming that is[/is] what the topic starter intended it to mean

4. drago32

drago32 Level I

Pot should be legalized.

The goverment dumps ungodly amounts of money into stopping it, and yet they aren't even close.

Alcohol is legal yet many people die each year because of car accidents and health issues caused by it.

You don't hear of women being beaten by there pothead husband/boyfriend, but how many do you hear of or know have been hurt because of alcohol.

The only ones who become addicted to it are the ones who are addicted to "the buzz" and they become addicted to everything. Alcohol. over the counter drugs, prescription drugs and illegal drugs. It doesn't matter as long as they get a buzz from it.

The only reason it isn't legalized is because the goverment makes more by it being illegal. But if a country, say the prudish US would legalize it and control it. Say $50 for a pack, we would no longer have a national dept after the first year.

Pot has been around since biblical times. They will try there hardest to get rid of it, but it will never work. Its easy to grow and can be hidden.

And as for the studies saying it does this and that I don't believe. I seen the movie Getting High in school. What it shows is an lsd or acid trip, I have yet to encounter anyone who smoked pot try to fly or jump out of windows. Maybe find the nearest couch and pass out but thats about it.

Everyone has there own opinions but I for one am sick of paying taxes to stop something that will never be stopped. Even though the goverment will find some other useless task to spend it on.

And just a tid bit, what is going to cause someone to do something more. The goverment telling them no no bad you can't do this or legalize it and say hey its your choice do it or not.
    I know my tolerence for alcohol was higher before I was of legal age then after. To me it wasn't as much fun.

Just my 2 cents

5. misfit joey

misfit joey Newbie

First i want to point out this

http://www.lsj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl ... /1001/news

Second i want to add, i dont smoke pot. But my sister did.

She was really sick, she couldnt even get out of bed, but when she smoked . her pain went away and she was happy again, she could go places spend time with her kids.

Like i said I dont smoke weed, and dont want to, but I do think its one of the safer drugs, and should be legal.

6. chrisw2525

chrisw2525 Level IV

HAHAHA u shoulda heard this kids in school, they never smoked pot before and it was going to be their first time and their like "i dont wanna smoke pot in ur apartment because im afraid that ill jump off the roof, so i think we should do it outside then go back inside"

7. Sorandra

Sorandra Level III

This is touchy since there are many people who believe pot helps with certain medical conditions. I think they should explore other options.

To make pot legal.... I think that the cons outweigh the pros. We shouldn't make this stuff easier to access. It is heavily abused. It does ruin lives. It changes people for the worst... and it's difficult for these people to pull away from and recover from.

8. ctm_91

ctm_91 Level III

no. if it didnt affect other people then sure, but when someone who is high and driving kills a member of my family, it becomes personal

9. micorazonesazul

Oh yeah, because people don't kill other people when they drink and drive. And they don't abuse family members when they're drunk either. And second hand smoke also doesn't kill people. Oh yeah, sorry- that's not personal.

10. unskillful12

unskillful12 Level III

To say that pot isn't dangerous is wrong. Alchohol may impair your judgement, but who's to say at which point is impaired judgemnet safe? It's also a case of the induvidual and how much you smoke. I'm a relative lightweight and one of the first times I blazed I had about 2 grams to myself. You could definately tell I was ripped and my friends wouldn't trust me to cross the street by myself. Driving under those conditions is just stupid. You forget what you're doing every few seconds and loose concentration and eventually become very tried. By legalizing pot it will be more accessible and less expensive which will obviously increase the usage. It would also encourage people who would not usually try pot to experiment because 2 of the biggest drawbacks are taken away, the legality and price. These stats you give that say pot is less dangerous than alchohol etc. will obviously change when pot is used just as much as alchohol is. More people, more pot, more danger. I peronally use it although not too much and I tend to do it in a safer environment (inside somewhere). You can't tell me that you have never done anything stupid when you were high so if it is legalized and more people use it you are just increasing the chances of something bad happening.

Edit: Here's my interpretation from some of posts above this one: "Alchohol kills people so why not let pot kill people?" Think about that statement...it doesn't make sense.

11. anonymouso_O

anonymouso_O Level III

well said man +rep

12. StarlightRose

StarlightRose Level II

I think it should be legalized.

BUT. it should have the same, or stricter rules then alcohol. =P

13. Angel

Angel Level III

Yes it should be legal. Police need to worry about worse drugs and worse crimes then someone selling/smoking pot. I do think they should limit of how much you can have on you/growing.

14. micorazonesazul

Whoa. You definitely misinterpreted that. What I meant was that alcohol kills and causes pain in so many peoples lives. Why not make alcohol illegal as well? I'm saying that people are going to get pot no matter what you do, while it is illegal SOO much money is being wasted to stop illegal marijuana growing/ selling. If it was legal the government would save money, and be able to use the money for something that is actually going to get somewhere. Like...i dunno, cancer research or something IMPORTANT.

15. puzzl3b0x

puzzl3b0x Level II

I did an essay on this in high school... lol.

16. h4x0r

h4x0r Level II

Ok I have to say one thing. Yes it should be legalized. There is nothing wrong with it. Yes you can get addicted to it, but what does it really do to you, makes you high and really hungry. Yeah so what. CIGARETTES are worse for you because they actually have stuff that can kill you.

Do you know why it's not legalized? That's because the government can't tax it. That is the only reason they haven't legalized pot. If you ask the question, have I done it before? Hell yeah I have. People say it leads to stronger drugs. No it doesn't...the human decides that they want, whether it be meth, or cocaine, or LSD. It's their problem if they want crap like that. Me and my friends just get together, get a quarter and have a little fun. You stay at your house, you won't die, it's not going to kill you. Just don't be stupid about it. If anything it's safer to stay home and schmoke than it is to go driving to find something to do. Pot also makes everything 10x funnier than it should be and from my personal experience, a hell of an experience when you are bored. The only bad thing is, when you do it, you and your friends can easily go through $50 of groceries after your done. Never understood why, but I just go with it :D

17. unskillful12

unskillful12 Level III

Sorry about that, but now I understand what you meant. Thing is with your reasoning you are saying even though pot isn't really good, you can't stop it so why try? I know the money could be used on other things but why not just cut back on fudning or find more effective ways to fight the problem rather than stop it altogether and give up?

This is true but it doesn't change the fact that drugs are bad for you.

18. marlene

marlene Moderator
    Staff Member

I live in Canada... so here's it's a non issue... as long as you don't smoke it around me.

The government should legalize it... and tax it accordingly

19. matasakeki

matasakeki Level I

People who smoke pot will probably get busted for some other illegal drug down the line anyhow, so for just pot, it could go either way. It's probably best to keep it illegal and slam those idiots who waste their life on pot and other crap like it.

20. marlene

marlene Moderator
    Staff Member

matasakeki please read my PM to you about your post... thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.