1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should Religion Be Taught In Schools?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Ofek, Apr 6, 2009.

1. statter

statter Level II

I think it should be an individual choice rather as the whole school in general. So there's options for a person to attend the religion class or not

2. satenschild5

satenschild5 Level I

i personally dont think they should there pretty much forcing kids to believe what if those kids dont believe there still forced to take a class that they have no interest or belief in i think it should be an option for students who want to learn about it but thats it

3. Arkley

Arkley Level III

"Forcing kids to take a class they're not interested in" is the very definition of "school", lol

4. joycey

joycey Level II

Although I'm not religious and blame religion for a lot of things i.e. wars I think that it's ok to be taught in school, I was taught it and it's not pressed on you or anything, indeed at a Catholic school we learn about Islamic etc. a lot of the time.

5. Rhett

Rhett Level IV

If anything at all, religion should be taught in a neutral voice in a class such as mythology. Secondly, several religious/spiritual views should be taught in an open manner, presenting the views and morals or each members of said beliefs. Still, not as facts, but merely as thoughts of philosophy.
    Religious, politicals, and philosophical views should ALL be formed solely by yourself, with no outside influence at all. Even if somehow your opinions are correct (there is a God, or we did evolve), then you should never push them on anyone. You will present your views in a bias manner, regardless of how neutral you think your views are. By saying "Well, I think..." is basically telling a person with confused beliefs "Well, you should think... because it's right".
    Although this might be taken the wrong way, the 'Theory of Evolution' should be taught in philosophy/mythology classes. Still in a neutral tone, but in an attempt to get rid of that damn comment - "You think we came from monkeys?!"

6. Fendi

Fendi Level IV

Really? That's quite shocking to me I only went to a Christian school and for questions when we had to write about two religions we had to do Christianity & Catholicism... I still remember someone heavily researching Satanism so he could use that, the exam board liked it he got an A.

7. Milanos

Milanos Level IV

I don't think it should be taught in school. I'm an atheïst, and don't think religion makes any sense at all. And I always thought school was about educating things that really happened or stuff of which there's proof.

8. Rhett

Rhett Level IV

What about pottery, mythology, and concepts of algebra(jk)? Those don't teach you anything necessary for life, and you have a CHOICE to take them. Religion, if taught at all, shouldn't be a mandated class, but an elective. I'm atheist too, but I'm also pro-choice, so I don't give a flip what other people do as long as it doesnt hinder anyone else.

9. Brian

Brian Level I

No religion should not be taught in school. The idea of human's being a miracle is a bunch of crap we are over populating this world and need to be gone.

10. Rhett

Rhett Level IV

So then we should have an extermination class? But then again, hey - religion does a good job of justifying a war.

11. Brian

Brian Level I

haha! I like that idea lot better! wait... we need more religions! that would help promote population control!

12. Rhett

Rhett Level IV

What if said religion segregated you, put you in ... activity camps, then sent you to take a shower? Jews wouldn't the only targets... Population control means someone has to die.

13. Brian

Brian Level I

yes I know, having more religions would mean there would be more stupid wars and people would be like "My Zombie God, that rose from the dead told me to eat his flesh and drink his blood then said fuck this shit I'm out of here, is the best."

14. x_lildragonboy_x

I went to a heavily Christian School too and I remember hating it - we were always taught (speaking only about my school) that Christiany and the different branches of it was the only religion.

When I moved schools I was taught about every religion under the sun and I don't know. It hasn't influenced me, 'case I was taught about them all fairly and equally.

I think children should be taught everything really - but non-biastly (spellng?) so that later on in life they can make their own judgements and decisions on a certain topic.

15. Will

Will Level IV

Interesting concept.

Care to elaborate?

16. Arkley

Arkley Level III

I think perhaps he means that people put far more stock in the words and actions of the religious community than they deserve, which I agree with. Afterall, if one person believes in an invisible giant in the sky that tells him how to live his life, he's a madman. If two people believe it, they're madmen. If a hundred people believe it, they're a cult. If a million do, they're a religion.

Religion starts with insanity.

17. Rhett

Rhett Level IV

This makes me laugh, but in a good way. I agree with "religion starts with insanity".
    - "Drink this! Its some shit I found in the ground... It'll make it so you can talk to God!" When really, god is just the schizophrenic voices in your head.

18. daFalco

daFalco Level III

This is actually something I have not that of.
    Maybe something I can incorporate into my English speech...

Anyways, I don't think religion should be taught in terms of an actual religion, but perhaps its effects on the world, cultural advancements as a cause and problems facing religions today could make to be an interesting course.

19. annoymus

annoymus Level II

No for sure, religon should be an individual thing for someone to discover and learn about themselves. School should only be academic in nature.

20. Will

Will Level IV

Hence why it shouldn't be taught in schools.

Religions are essentially founded on stories that can be construed as utter fabrication. Why teach that in school?

Science be damned!