1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should Religion Be Taught In Schools?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Ofek, Apr 6, 2009.

1. wutwutinthebutt

Well, where I live there are so many different religions in schools, I don't think it should be taught. Some people might get offended and/or start disliking the other person.

2. rusting

rusting Level I

Let's teach them fairy tales right after their magic class!
    Theology should be an optional field in high school and college.
    Teaching religion would be like teaching everyone to like lobster in school.
    Religion sucks anyway, it's completely ridiculous.

3. Arkley

Arkley Level III

Well, for the same reasons we teach about ancient Egyptian, Roman and Greek religions in History classes. For a better understanding of culture and belief around the world. Certainly not to press religion on children, though.

4. dstarvish88

dstarvish88 Level I

NOOOOO religon should not be taught in schools. if parents want there childern to be taught religon theres reliogous schools it offends a lot of people

5. Will

Will Level IV

You aren't taught much about Egyptian, Roman and Greek religions, more about society and how their societies functioned. And that is proven by artifacts, tombs, structures, paintings, etc.

Again, you can't compare stories to evidence ;/

6. Arkley

Arkley Level III

And that would be why I reccomended a "World Cultures class" instead of simply teaching about religion. Teach the kids about all the cultures around the world, their customs and such. Then also teach about their recent history, and the religions that are common to the area, and how it has influenced their history and society.

7. cozetta

cozetta Level I

I believe religion should most definitely be taught in schools. However, I don't believe that it should be mandatory. It is completely healthy and serves as a cultural stimulant for students to have the option of religion available. Religion provides a means of sanity for those looking for some form of transcendence, so I see no reason for religion to not be taught in schools.

8. blake916

blake916 Newbie

no it shouldnt..No one wants to sit there and hear about budda or god if u dont believ in them. I know i wouldn't. Why force something upon someone that doesnt want it? Just wrong ^^

9. funkyfiona1

funkyfiona1 Newbie

I don't believe in teaching religion in schools, I think religion its self is highly overrated anyways. Why be taught something that you can't even prove exists - it would be like teaching kids how to survive zombie attacks.

10. lolcow

lolcow Level III

Then what's the point of philosophy? History? Culture? They're all useless in the long run; no one needs to know any of that.

Even if you don't believe in religion, it doesn't hurt to take a few classes in it. That way (at least) you won't be totally ignorant when it comes to the topic.

11. Smirnoff

Smirnoff Level IV

Not going to read 7 pages but;

Answer is yes. Religion should be taught in schools, it was be ignorant not to teach it. It should however NOT be taught as a means of conversion. There is no other single topic in our history which has shaped us more then religion. From Greek mythology in 1000 BC to the formation of Christianity, Buddhism, Dadaism, Judaism, Muslim, the Japanese honor code. These are the building blocks of our entire civilization and where our roots come from.

Not teaching or educating students these things would be a travesty, and I don't just mean their historical roots and important dates, I mean really teach them, teach their true meanings and philosophies.

I went to a public school for my primary education (Years K-6) and every Wednesday we had a person appointed by the department of education come around for an hour a day and teach us about Christianity, we learned the old and new testament and everything in between. What did that teach me? the basics of an important religion. I am not a Christian today, nor am I an atheist. I am an educated person who understands and can respect all religions and feel others should be more enlightened about other faiths and cultures.

12. blitzgewitter

blitzgewitter Newbie

I think teaching religion is a very hard thing to do.

I don't have good experiences with my religion teachers. I had 4 years with the same teacher and most of the time she was ill and we had no class or we watched movies. I admit that these movies had religious topics, but all we did was watching them. We never really talked about the films, we only sum up the content and then wrote a test about it. That was it, and I didn't learn anything from that.

The other teacher I had for one year was very, very religious and if you were in her class, you had to absolutely believe in God or you automatically got a bad grade.
    I don't know if I only had bad luck with my teachers or if the teachers in other lands are better than mine, but if religion schould be taught at schools you have to have good teachers to help us to understand what religion is and how to deal with it.

My other point I is that you schould have the chance to say "no" if you don't want this religious education.
    I couldn't choose if I want to be educated in evangelical religion, mainly because we are a very non-religious family, but also some catholic friends of mine had to attend evangelic religion class. I don't know if its just our school whowasn't able to arrange a catholic religion class or a "not religious class" where you learn to deal with religions, but basically learn about ...err... social structures(?) (In german its called "Werte und Normen", I don't know what it is in eglish, sorry^^")

I think its a very difficult subject, but with the right realization I would say it should be taught
    --
    I hope I don't bore you with all that stuff, if I do, don't read it :D

13. Smirnoff

Smirnoff Level IV

Following on from what I previously wrote, If religion is being taught as its own topic it should not be a gradable subject. If religion were to fall under the realm of a history class or social class then it should be gradable, but only by a validated and impartial teacher who marks you solely on your merits within the subject and on your merits in that class.

14. ry_thebasketballguy

i think that one specific religion should not be taught in schools because it practically makes the children forced to learn that religion only instead of what their parents want them to learn