1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggested New Improvements to Old Autobuyers

Discussion in 'Neopets Program Discussion' started by dreamlorde, Sep 17, 2011.

1. dreamlorde

dreamlorde Level III

1 - Build in a randomized on-purpose mishaggle option.
    I can't believe that this doesn't already exist somewhere. People are not perfect. The fastest, smartest, and best restockers will mishaggle sometimes. Unavoidable, uncontrollable, unforeseen circumstances will occur, because that's life. But ABers never mishaggle, right? After a while, that's going to be not-very-human-looking if you ask me. Ever been frozen for ABing with settings that worked for you many times before? I strongly suggest that this is why. So create a couple of user-defined settings like 'Mishaggle one of every x to y attempts' and 'Only mishaggle items worth less than xxxxxx'. You can't get more human-looking than a screw up. Hell, a lot of people feel that's what defines their humanity. :)

2 - Build in minimums to user-defined options.
    People love to be stupid. Give four people the best autobuyer in existence and at least one of them will be saying 'Oh my god! I left it running for 22 hours in Magic. Do u think I'll get frozen?' in a week. Or maybe 'Woo hoo! Darigan Draik Egg was successfully bought for 2121212 neopoints in 0.906 seconds'.
    Protect your autobuyer from the special people. Protect the special people from themselves. And protect us all from having our time wasted by 'suicide' buyers and other 'special' people. Build in an absolute minimum buy time, absolute minimum refresh rate, absolute maximum continuous running time, and so on. Yeah, people will take it as being kind of hard-@$$ at first because they won't have the power to do stupid things anymore. Yeah, it will make some people mad. But overall it would make your autobuyer better and in time that will equate to more people using it, as word gets around.

2. Junior

Junior Administrator
    Staff Member

I come from a land down under! (Maaaate!)
    Idea 1 = good. As long as it was an optional switch.

Idea 2 = bad.

There is already an option for people to set minimum buy times. If they wanna suicide let them. Yes a minimum time would be handy because it would give ME more of a chance as my net is slow, but I still don't think thats a good idea.

3. Shawn

Shawn Level IV

No minimum buy time is not good.
    There are tons of suicide buyers, but as suicide means, they get frozen.
    You can AB still

4. Lightning

Lightning Administrator
    Staff Member

First option is possible. That could be done with 1-2 lines of code.

Second option is not a good idea. What if people wanted to suicide buy on the weekends? If you just wanted to go crazy with the ABer since it's an all-out buying spree + transfer items, that would not be possible.

5. tristen1230

tristen1230 Level II

I like the first idea but I am thinking that does TNT really look at that of the times that it took to buy the item. I may be wrong though.

6. dreamlorde

dreamlorde Level III

You went very close to the heart of it there. I'm happy to hear that my first recommendation is possible and not difficult - now I just can't wait to see it implemented. :)
    I'm not surprised by the generally negative reception of my second idea. Let me expand my previous statements. I think it's enough that autobuyers already waste the time of who knows how many honest restockers who sit there staring at their screens waiting for items they aren't going to get anyway. Now having the so-called suicide buyers wasting the time of the good ABers on top of that is ridiculous, isn't it? The 'Let them suicide and get frozen if they want to' argument doesn't speak on the fact that they wasted a good item and the time of everyone who was ABing when they were. There aren't so many Draik Egg, Draik MP, and LEV restocks that we need to be losing them to 'suicide' buyers.
    I can't really believe that the smart people who have created some of the best autobuyers really intend for people to use them with inhuman nearly 100% freeze rate settings. I think suicide buying is more like something that just got out of hand and people are scared to try and turn the clock back on it. I could be wrong though.