1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swine Flu H1N1

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Niacin, Apr 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daFalco

daFalco Level III

What are you talking about?

The virus itself has already to spread to many countries in North America, South America, Europe, Asia, and Africa (AKA around the world)

2. Niacin

Niacin Level II

As deFalco said it's already around the world...

as for being overrated and blown out of proportion, it isn't as deadly a strand in developed nations as some were predicting.

3. daFalco

daFalco Level III

It's still potentially devestating to those living in developing nations though.

4. jamesfroe

jamesfroe Level II

Quoted from the WHO (world health organization):

"Influenza epidemics occur yearly during autumn and winter in temperate regions. Illnesses result in hospitalizations and deaths mainly among high-risk groups (the very young, elderly or chronically ill). Worldwide, these annual epidemics result in about three to five million cases of severe illness, and about 250 000 to 500 000 deaths"

A few hundred deaths from H1N1? C'mon. The US government and everyone else was hyping up the possible avian flu so high, that when H1N1 broke out they were so quick to label it as this disasterous epidemic just to try and prove they were right predicting a massive epidemic. H1N1 isn't even as bad as an annual regular influenza epidemic. Just since they were so quick to label it and hype it up, they can't back down now or they'll face the boy who cried wolf.

5. Smirnoff

Smirnoff Level IV

I'd say your wrong on all accounts there.

6. jamesfroe

jamesfroe Level II

And why's that?

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... QD986E8H00
    WHO meets on production of swine flu vaccine
    By MARIA CHENG and FRANK JORDANS – 3 days ago

"As of Thursday, at least 33 countries reported more than 6,600 cases of swine flu worldwide, with 70 deaths. The figures are based on tallies provided by national governments and WHO."

How the hell can 6,600 cases and 70 deaths even compare to 3~5 million cases and 250,000~500,000 deaths? Influenza outbreaks a have a higher occurence in summer months, but even still, assuming it had an equal virulence rate, it would be 250,000~415,000 cases/month with 20,800~34,500 deaths/month. How can this "pandemic" that first gained attention in the beginning of April, with FAR fewer cases and deaths in just over a month, even compare to the seasonal flu?

Now you tell me. What would the average family/person in the world be more afraid of right now. H1N1 or the seasonal flu?

H1n1. Why? Because it's been blown out of proportion.

7. statter

statter Level II

It's not been blown out of proportion, it has just been exaggerated by the media
    At one stage, the media have claimed that the flu killed many people, however, it has been discovered that only a small amount of people have died from the flue.
    The flu itself is a serious matter, however, the media are to blame for the exaggerated stories.

8. Freya

Freya Level III

I'd say that the chances that you'll die in a car accident (115 deaths a day in the US) is still way higher than being killed by swine flu...
    Seriously this whole thing is way eaxaggereted.
    You should be scared of other things...
    A heart attack, a car accident, cancer etc...

9. statter

statter Level II

LOL, of course it is higher than being killed by swine flu...

10. jamesfroe

jamesfroe Level II

11. statter

statter Level II

No, I am just saying that the swine flu itself is a serious issue, but media exaggerates the numbers hence a lot of people think it is a hype now. However, the issue ITSELF is not 'blown out of proportion'

12. Dreamerz

Dreamerz Level III

Yeah agreed media tends to take everything a little too far, there is bad things then there's warning people about it but the way that the media makes things seems far more worse then they really are. I am surprised they don't freak out every flu season when the regular old flu comes around... oh wait they do telling people how important it is to get a flu shot and to wash your hands after touching everything and anything so you spend at least 2 hours a day washing hands :p

13. Freya

Freya Level III

It is generally fascinating the way the media goes, they ususally all jump on the train which is most popular instead of listing news by actual importance...

14. Jubixion

Jubixion Level II

Its a horrible situation over the world, even in my country, Singapore, there are almost 100+ cases already. Hopefully they'll will close the schools to prevent the spreading of the virus(woohoo extended holidays xD). Then again, I'm pretty sure it'll get worst when the schools reopen.

15. Lightning

Lightning Administrator
    Staff Member

Ugh, we just had our first reported death hear in Florida from Swine Flu. It hasn't gotten into my country of origin yet (China) because they are like freaking out. It's so intense that if you are somebody from the Americas, they give you a warning notice to stay in your home for at least 14 days without any contact with outside people. There has been some really slight cases and some really serious ones.

16. Jubixion

Jubixion Level II

No cases in China yet? Thats quite hard to imagine considering they have the largest population of people in the world ._.

17. Frozshtaliar

Frozshtaliar Level II

Its funny I got this like in the first week it was announced didnt even know what it was until i read over the symptoms i was just sick for a week.

18. Wings

Wings Level III

This isnt coming from pork =O

19. Patty

Patty Level III

Frozshtaliar you probably just had the regular flu

it doesnt come form pigs so thats why they changed the name

i heard rupert grint (the guy that plays ron weasely in harry potter) got swine flu

20. Frozshtaliar

Frozshtaliar Level II

I thought that too just seemed kinda unlikely since I have had the normal flu several times before so i think im pretty immune to it and i got sick with flu like symptoms right when swine flu happened.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.