1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swine Flu H1N1

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Niacin, Apr 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. linkin45

linkin45 Level I

i dont really think its that much of an issue anymore. some countries r just taking it too seriously. i just went to china. theyre so paranoid, they did a bunch of checks and it took us over an hour to get off the plane after it landed.

2. cooldude1234

cooldude1234 Level I

Actually, my friend came to Shanghai to visit, and she was delayed because of all the checks that she had to take. Apparently China is extremely serious about America->China flights (as America has one of the top reported cases of swine flu as of now.)

3. cozetta

cozetta Level I

I know it's a serious threat, but everyone is over-reacting a bit.
    People recover from it; if you get it, it isn't instant death. You're a lot more susceptible if you haven't built up anti-bodies (baby) or you're immune system is deteriorating (old, already sick/diseased).
    Just eat right, exercise, and sleep and you'll be okay.

4. Tricia

Tricia Level IV

Actually, old people (75+) are apparently less likely to contract it as there are similarities between H1N1 and some variant of flu that went around when that age group were young so a lot of them are actually immune to it.

We've had a couple of deaths here in the UK now that have been of perfectly healthy people. One of them was actually a doctor.

I do agree that it's being blown out of proportion though. When you consider how many people flu kills each year anyway, this is nothing, but what they are worrying about is when we hit peak flu season...

5. Lightning

Lightning Administrator
    Staff Member

By Flu Season, here in U.S., they say they'll have a vaccination developed by that time so I'm kinda glad although I don't like vaccines o_O. They are so annoying to go get...

At least, that's what I heard :p

6. Tricia

Tricia Level IV

Yeah, the only problem is that the flu virus may have mutated by then and this so-called vaccine they are working on may be completely redundant :D

Apparently, the UK will only have enough for about half of the polulation so those at high risk will be given it first. Although, they don't seem to be doing a very good job at working out exactly who is high risk...

7. Megs

Megs Level III

A 5 or 6-year-old girl that my friend's family knows died from H1N1. She gave it to her whole class. Sad, yes, but the media is over exaggerating the whole H1N1 thing. Tens of thousands of people die from other flus every year, and there are other things we should be more worried about...

8. Lightning

Lightning Administrator
    Staff Member

Yeah, it always changes so medicine and such has to be updated every so often...my dad's a pharmacist, and he's had to get his liscense on drug/vaccine administering getting ready :nope:. It's all a big deal now :p

9. novastar

novastar Level I

Reading through this thread, at the moment the "hype" has more or less gone down on h1n1. Seems like only about a death per couple of thousand. And the bug supposedly gets weaker as it is passed on from person A to B, so I wouln't be too much worried now.

10. raffix

raffix Newbie

i had it for a period of 2 and a half weeks a couple weeks ago, all the symptoms, most of the problems involving the digestive system i suffered from quite badly, they just doped me up on a ton of anti viral medication that did naff all and i sat it out, my immune systems been weakened this year by contracting mumps though, but i got nowhere near death, i dont understand how completely healthy people with no underlying illness' can be dying? surely theres a link between cases which ended in mortality, i mean i was visiting the toilet alot, was having serious temperature fluctuations and threw up all over my boss's nice work shoes but i didnt really come close to meeting my maker :D

11. Lightning

Lightning Administrator
    Staff Member

Damn, that really sucked...:(

Do you still have it any symptoms, or is it gone now? Bleh, that's kinda gross now, and it's getting a lot worse :nope:

12. novastar

novastar Level I

In Singapore? You can relax a little, only a couple of deaths so far. Your doctor should prescribe Tamiflu to you, should work just fine. And just get loads of rest, the flu will weaken^^

13. pakpak

pakpak Level I

yeah. Singapore death count is not as high as other countries. But is getting bad .. H1N1 strikes mostly teens and younger people. They'll die if their immune system is too weak. :(

14. Celestral

Celestral Level I

yeah. Singapore death count is not as high as other countries. But is getting bad .. H1N1 strikes mostly teens and younger people. They'll die if their immune system is too weak. :(

-

Ehh, basically like the common flu.
    Except more people die from the common flu than the H1N1.

15. gaelle

gaelle Level IV

In france there are almost nobody that got swine flue ! France is good for that !

16. Lightning

Lightning Administrator
    Staff Member

Wait, it isn't flu season in France yet...right now, it's in the lower hemisphere if I'm correct :D

17. cooldude1234

cooldude1234 Level I

I'm pretty sure there's a lot more than 24 confirmed cases in the United States

I'm in China, and I've heard it's in the thousands

18. draze

draze Level II

I have seasonal flu shots coming up in a month or so, I wonder if the "novel H1N1" vaccine will be out by then....

I hate shots... :|

19. steinn

steinn Level I

I live in brazil.
    600 confirmed here.

I forget about the deads number...

20. Lily

Lily Level I

I'm never worried about flu outbreaks, as I never get it. And even if I did, hey, free week out of school... >.> Just because they give it a name shouldn't cause such ridiculous panic, lol. Flu outbreaks happen every year, and people die from it every year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.