1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swine Flu H1N1

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Niacin, Apr 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WEARD

WEARD Level II

The only thing I know on this is his name : A1 H1N1
    I'm not afraid of.
    I can't talk about it... i know nothing
    And i'm poor in english xD

2. Macdoodles

Macdoodles Level II

I have 8 swine flu cases in my school and my principal just died of swine flu..Its quite sad.... A few school around my area closed down for over 2 weeks,.....but my school never closed.... damn...

3. munster_poo

munster_poo Level I

Swine Flu isn't that big of a deal, I gave my parents this rant a few months ago

I'm working in a school system - I've got a few classes that back in September we had a lot of kids with swine flu. It was just like any other sickness kids get, they'll be out for a few days, maybe a week, and then they come back. It's affected us in the South a lot already.

We cancelled school last week hoping to keep it from spreading more. It's not a big deal, it's just like the normal flu... my brother in law has it, in fact, they aren't even testing patients for it anymore. It's all over everywhere, but the clinics and doctors aren't testing for it (hence the low # of reported cases) because it's treated the same way as the regular flu.

Just a big waste of time, medias turned this into way more than it should be.

4. makotaru

makotaru Level I

munster_poo, you're right and you're wrong.

The current literature suggests that when infecting experimental monkeys that swine flu infects more deeply in the lungs and, without the aid of medicines, will take longer to clear the infection; versus a normal flu which normally infects really only in the bronchial tubes/airways, and not in the deep lung tissue. the good news is that these flus are just as vulnerable to medicines like tamiflu and are easily treated.

(I knew journal club would come in handy for something...)

5. Macdoodles

Macdoodles Level II

damn ..its getting pretty serious.. I heard that it only targets adults 30+. I know someone that died of swine flu..

6. makotaru

makotaru Level I

Macdoodles that would be wrong. A flu can't "target" someone based on age. It's just a virus. All it wants to do is find somewhere to replicate its RNA.

7. Sorandra

Sorandra Level III

I thought I'd share this in case none of you had seen it. There have been debates on the safety of the vaccines.

Here's what the one in a million chance that something will go wrong looks like in some cases (not sure if this has been posted yet, I searched and didn't see it, so here goes).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mScGC7nFDxM

It's arguable whether she already had a dormant neurological disorder or not that was merely activated by the shot, or perhaps the shot might have somehow attacked her or caused/assisted an infection. They call what she has dystonia - I've heard of it before because I'm a cake decorator and a high risk for carpel tunnel, which apparently dystonia can be confused with somehow. Scary stuff.

My two cents on the matter? Up until winter of 2007, I hadn't had the flu in probably 10 years, though I did contract a cold and bronchitis at one point. I hadn't had a flu shot in as many years, but the flu I had in 2007 was the worst I'd had in my life, thankfully only lasting a week. I did not get the flu in 2008. Generally, I try to stay away from putting foreign chemicals in my body, though I do have chronic migraines, so I can't just deny all medication. It's just a personal choice. I stay at home and eat out very rarely, so my chances of contracting the flu are significantly lower than someone who works retail or in any environment exposing them to the public. :)

8. Arkley

Arkley Level III

I wouldn't bother with the vaccines anyway. H1N1 is no more dangerous than regular flu, it's just much more contagious due to the fact that infected people can be asymptomatic carriers for several days before presenting with symptoms, and it lives longer than the normal flu virus when outside the body, and as it is a new strain, no one will have the natural immunity to fight of the infection.

The danger of H1N1 is that as it is far more easily spread, it is more likely to be contracted by those who are particularly susceptible to 'flu, such as young children and the elderly. These two age groups have a higher mortality rate with any kind of 'flu.

The other danger is that H1N1, like any kind of rapidly-spreading virus, is actually extremely detrimental to a country's economy. If a hundred thousand people in, say, the service industry (the dominant industry of developed nations) catch it in six months and take five days off each, that's a tremendous financial loss in the sector that largely fuels the economy and in turn, places great strain on the economy itself - which is the other reason governments have been so eager to distribute such an expensive medication during a worldwide recession.

In terms of the actual danger to yourself however, if you're over sixteen and under sixty, and you don't fancy the one-in-a-million odds of having such a dormant disorder, then just don't take the vaccine. You'll almost certainly be fine in any case.

9. makotaru

makotaru Level I

there ARE people with the natural immunity...

remember the flu epidemic of 1918? No, weren't around back then? Oh. Well the people who WERE around back then are immune from swine flu. :) It's a very very similar strain.

10. domini212

domini212 Level III

I'm scared of putting my son in head start because of swine its suppose to get worse this winter.

11. Arkley

Arkley Level III

Stating that a few living people who contracted the infection over ninety years ago and survived, are over ninety years old and are not immunocompromised as a result of age related factors are potentially immune to H1N1 is not a valid counterpoint. Such a group of people make up an extremely marginal amount of the population. It's like stating that the movie Gigli is a good movie because, in spite of universal critical panning and tremendous losses at the box office, you knew one person out of ten thousand who thought it was good.

The exception is never the rule. It is, as previously mentioned, the exception, and is aptly named as such because, in broad considerations of the impact of any factor, it is rarely worth considering. Suggesting that there are perhaps at most 100 people in the entire USA who may potentially be immune to H1N1 is entirely irrelevant.

12. Rena

Rena Level III

Yeah, the whole immune theory thing doesn't help at all. People should just focus on producing Tamiflu x.x

I recently fell ill and was suspected of H1N1, because my family doctor cannot confirm it (the test is expensive...). Whoa, it was terrible, but after consuming Tamiflu (and napping), I returned back to normal within three hours o.o

13. makotaru

makotaru Level I

I never said it was a rule. I said it was an exception. I think its quite interesting that the 1918 flu is so related to this one.

14. brisk

brisk Level I

I was really worried about that, but the chaos calmed down in my town.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.