1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Death Penalty

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by cardenal, Oct 23, 2007.

?

Do you agree with the death penalty?

1. Yes, I do.

40 vote(s)
    43.5%
  2. No, I don't.

38 vote(s)
    41.3%
  3. I'm undecided.

14 vote(s)
    15.2%
  1. Virre

Virre Level IV

It's hard to ignore when someone isunlts you.

What if the truth about your uncle hadn't been reveiled? What if he had been sentenced to death? Would you still claim that the penalty is valid? Because things like that do happen.

2. micorazonesazul

micorazonesazul Level III

Mass murderers, snipers, child rapists...that sort of thing...I would say those aren't people that value their lives very much--however, I don't think it's up to the government to decide what the value of life is..
    At the same time-- the families of the victims are never thrilled about the fact that the prisoners can enjoy a nice life in prison with cable TV, libraries, 3 meals a day, a roof over their heads, and a place to sleep, along with a nice home gym. Of course, they have to share it with a truckload of other prisoners but at the same time there are hard-working people ..who are NOT criminals that can't enjoy these amenities. And on top of that..do you really want someone who raped your child to be alive, much less enjoying themselves.
    So...I think I'm undecided...while it may seem permissible by the victim's families..America's justice system has evolved so much that the criminals have as much rights as the victim. So it's a tricky topic. Personally. If someone killed or raped anyone I was close to, I would not even think about it...I'd want them dead. But...the government is a completely different story. Like I said it's a tricky topic, personally I don't have a problem with the death penalty. But if you think about how many people are wrongly accused...that brings other problem as well...what do you if somehow you execute the wrong person?

3. peanutpunk

peanutpunk Level II

DX DX DX
    I WASN'T INSULTING YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! damn... it's ok w/e, letting go now.

i understand that that happens. i don't think you would be so protective of the accused if, let's say, your mother was murdered. i sure as hell wouldnt be.

4. Phee

Phee Moderator
    Staff Member

Peanut thought you meant you wanted to die by lethal injection.

5. LotusChild98

LotusChild98 Level I

I believe im inclined to agree with you natskaya, there are cretin people that should have to die for what they have done, but there are also others that should deserve to spend there full lives in jail for what they've done, but to give government that full power is, at least in my eyes wrong.

6. Virre

Virre Level IV

And? What does that have to do with it?
    The legal system is not meant for revenge, it's meant for rehabilitation and preventive reasons.
    If my mother was killed, I would not wish for the other person to die. I would want him to go to prison for his crime, but I would not want him to die. I could never encourage or make a decision that ends a life, unless for self defense.
    Especially since we cannot always be sure that the accused actually comitted the crime. There are too many factors that play in.

7. bunnah

bunnah Level III

my opinion is, if you take a life you get ur life taken away... simple.... why should the murderer be able to take lives then live out the rest of his life depending on tax payers money....

8. sammi

sammi Level II

Well, if someone did a mass murder or something,realizing he will get caught something, and got sentenced to death , woudn't be just be freed from everything? it's not like he has to rethink his sins, he'll just die anyway, i'd rather have them in prison so they can rot .

9. cardenal

cardenal Level III

he's living out the rest of his life in misery..

and please read the rest of the topic. For instance, what if the person was falsely accused?

But, if the government can't decide, then who should?
    I don't think that anyone should be able to decide who lives or dies, because people are biased.

10. sammi

sammi Level II

I agree with that,i doubt noone can decide wether a person should live or die. The decision can be made by a person who already had made a decision about someone, or someone who is emotionally damaged çause of the person, or for whatever reasn there is.

I doubt there is anyone who can be completly unsided and can judge if a person can live or die.

11. sjoniie

sjoniie Level I

people can't decide if another human must live or die

12. Cheeto

Cheeto Level IV

I kind of agree, because if someone took away a persons right to live, they should have their right taken away aswell. >:)

13. peanutpunk

peanutpunk Level II

you say that now, but when s h i t happens, we'll see... trust me :(

Ha! and another ha! Prison!? Rot!? prison is pretty much like a vacation... Have you ever been to a prison? They are very pretty where i come from.

do you really think that a man who has been in jail for years really thinks about their murders!? No all they think about is getting some... that's why people get raped in jail.

HAHAHAHA!!!!! tell that to the murders on death row.

OMFG!!! YES YES!!! EXACTLY!!! THANK YOU!!! AT LEAST SOME ONE GETS IT!!!!

14. cardenal

cardenal Level III

There is never any single right answer to questions like this. there are too many factors that come into play.
    These are just opinions, and you can't say that one persons opinion is less valid than someone elses.

and if you're gonna bash other peoples arguments, at least come up with a counter argument to back it up.

15. soccermadness90

soccermadness90 Level III

I feel that the government does not have the power to decide who has to die or not. However, it is essential that the government is given the power to do so to rid the society of those who would only cause harm to the society.

16. natskaya

natskaya Level III

Just as a side note, for anyone interested in looking into it further, here's a great movie to watch:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Exonerated

It features six people who were on death row that were later found to be innocent. While I'm sure the majority of people on death row are plenty guilty, there are always a few innocents.

17. derrick

derrick Level III

i strongly believe in the death penalty because...life in prision is worse...

18. soccermadness90

soccermadness90 Level III

you are talking from the perspective of the prisoner. Wouldn't the prisoner rather live than die?

But if the sin committed is not so severe would you rather die than stay in jail for one or two years?

19. Raihakuryuu

Raihakuryuu Level II

When I first saw that title I thought it was the name of Vincent's final weapon in FF VII, lol..
    I think the death penalty might be a bit harsh? Or maybe too soft. I don't think it's right to take people's lives away like that.
    Some might think the death penalty would be going too soft on the criminals, however, because it's like.. just killing the person. The person need not suffer for the deeds he or she done, and that could be unfair for the suffering family, or something.
    That is, until the theory of heaven and hell existing can be proven.. Then maybe the death penalty could somewhat fit in? Since the judges probably have to consider the 'suffer in hell for the rest of eternity' stuff.

20. Virre

Virre Level IV

I don't want to be backseat modding or anything, but if a word is censored, it means that you're not supposed to use it. :|

Back on topic; Don't pretend that you can know how an unknown person will react to something like this. I don't want to sound dramatic, but you do not know my values well enough to try and predict my reactions on this.
    The fact is, I have had close friends that has been in trouble, serious trouble. One has been killed, and several others has been raped. The only reason I say this is because it is clearly relevant for my opinions, if they hadn't been relevant I would not have posted them.
    I don't wish death upon the people who have done this to my friends, I wish that they are rehabilited back to normal and contributing members of the society.
    C a k e has happened, and you were wrong about my reaction.