1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Death Penalty

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by cardenal, Oct 23, 2007.

?

Do you agree with the death penalty?

1. Yes, I do.

40 vote(s)
    43.5%
  2. No, I don't.

38 vote(s)
    41.3%
  3. I'm undecided.

14 vote(s)
    15.2%
  1. Phee

Phee Moderator
    Staff Member

Peanut, calm the hell down and relax. No need to laugh at or mock someone else's opinion. This is a debate, and people have the right to express their own opinion.

2. soccermadness90

soccermadness90 Level III

how would you know what prison is like. i think that you havent been to one it is obviously not like a vacation. There are alot of horrible stuff that you have to go through in there.

not all prisoners think of their mistakes but by saying that "all they think...", it is being way too unfair.

Like skeem said calm down.

3. cardenal

cardenal Level III

ok, I've never been incarcerated, but I've been to prisons. I work with police officers. Prison is not a nice place to be, trust me.

4. vinceraf

vinceraf Level III

I don't agree with death penalty and I'm proud to live in a state that doesn't accept it.
    I think that death penalty isn't admissible in a civilized country, or a country that declare itself civilized and morally right.
    For example I can't really understand how in the year 2007 modern countries like USA and Japan can still have death penalty! Especially USA who fight to defeat terrorism and spread democracy........
    I know that there are criminals that would deserve death, such people who kill other people, people who destroy families and harm to children and helpless beings. But if we reason in this way... so why don't condemn Bush to death penalty who have caused the death of thousands of people in Iraq?
    The answer is that it's an absurd reasoning.
    The fact is simple... if you kill a person, even if authorized by the government, you are an assassin. But after seeing a movie like "Sicko", I've understood that this is pretty common.

Anyway, the other thing that make death penalty, not only unfair, but also useless is that the person condamned to death will never pay for his errors. Instead the greatest punishment is the jail, and the hard labor. Life sentence for example is a good alternative to death penalty, as it's an example punishment, useful to the state and more odious to the criminal than an instant death.

To not talking about the risk to kill the wrong person.

5. cardenal

cardenal Level III

What about all the money it costs to keep them in jail? I think he any use he might serve to the state in negated by the fact that the state has to pay so much money.

6. Milanos

Milanos Level IV

For some people I do agree that they should be killed. But only if they have done something incredibly bad.

7. vinceraf

vinceraf Level III

And so? I really don't find this as a reason to kill them, sorry XD
    So what about people who go in the hospitals? Pensioners? Families with many children? Unemployed? Immigrates? States have to pay for all this types of people and many others, would you kill all of them?

8. ukrainianpwn1

ukrainianpwn1 Level III

death penalty is better than solitary confinement because atleast you die right awayXD

9. klae17

klae17 Level III

Well the government doesn't decide, the people do.

I don't believe in it. It is more punishable to rot.

10. cardenal

cardenal Level III

I never said that it was a reason to kill someone o_O
    I was just arguing that keeping them in jail was useful to the state, coz how could it be useful, when they have to pay so much money?

11. peanutpunk

peanutpunk Level II

well lets see... in prison, you have no job, no kids, no bills, no stress, you have a gym, food{all tho it may not be good}...
    sounds like a relaxing vacation to me... i miss the good old days, when no one cared about the people in jail, when punishment actually meant punishment... now we're all ghei: "No don't hurt them, it's not fair" well it wasn't fair for the people they killed and or raped.

:| wow... :maha: :maha:

12. cardenal

cardenal Level III

what about the people that have families? you think it's a vacation for them to be away from them?
    and what about the labour they make you do in prison? I'd rather have a job I chose, thanks. and you're in your cell most of the time, and somehow I doubt some of the people in prison would be a picnic to be around

o_O

13. peanutpunk

peanutpunk Level II

well if you have everything to lose.... why do the crime? [...]

14. Fendi

Fendi Level IV

I argued this before look at the other topic titled this before to see my views there is pages of it xD

15. lacker12

lacker12 Level I

I don't agree with it. I think people shouldn't get an easy way out

16. cardenal

cardenal Level III

are you honestly of the opinion that it's only thugs with nothing to lose that commit crimes? what about husbands who can't keep their mistresses quiet with money, so they kill them? or the mother who strangled her son because he was a drug-addicted maniac?

17. peanutpunk

peanutpunk Level II

So...
    you are saying that that's an excuse to commit MURDER!?!?!? o_O
    Wouldn't it just be easier to tell your wife that you cheated??? A divorce is better than murder on your record. A mother can only do so much, if your kid came out an addict then let him be it's his life. If i killed my son i would hurt so much more than if i let him be...

so what's your next argument? :)

18. cardenal

cardenal Level III

like hell I said it was an excuse... don't put words in my mouth. I just said you can't just ignore those people. they have something to lose but they still commit crime [which you said didn't happen]

he was breaking into their house, selling their stuff, he beat his mother, stabbed her, broke their entire house apart, broke windows and doors. they tried to let him live his life, but he wouldn't let him live theirs.
    I don't agree with murder. so, no, I'm not saying it excuses them, I'm just saying, it happens.

19. peanutpunk

peanutpunk Level II

wth r u talkin about??? are we talking about certain cases? im talkin in general

20. cardenal

cardenal Level III

that was a specific case. sorry, its something that happened here recently, and it's occupying my mind.

but the rest of it was in general. :)
    it's late here, ok :yup: