1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Death Penalty

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by cardenal, Oct 23, 2007.

?

Do you agree with the death penalty?

1. Yes, I do.

40 vote(s)
    43.5%
  2. No, I don't.

38 vote(s)
    41.3%
  3. I'm undecided.

14 vote(s)
    15.2%
  1. annoymus

annoymus Level II

Death penalty is ok so long as it's short and painless death

Something like hanging is a MAJOR NO. Its long and painful(maybe against criminals with track records.)

2. GhettoNeopet

GhettoNeopet Level II

It is never morally right. It can never be justified.
    Ok, so lets say someone murders a cop. As punishment for a murder we... MURDER THEM!
    Does no one see the hypocrisy in that?
    It is absolutely disgusting, I am so glad not to live in a country where it is legal.

3. xProphet

xProphet Level III

In America the death penalty is not right!...
    For me it should be abolished at this time.
    But I can not say that in Italy we have a better law.
    Because the condemned by various methods are released after a few years!
    I hope that this type of situation will change sooner or later! :|

4. FastBullet

FastBullet Level IV

Death penalty law was made to not waste some of the money for the maintance of cells or for the costs of keeping a person in prison.

I don't agree with this punishment, although in some cases this may actually be the only solution.

There aren't many countries who keep people in prison all their life.

5. xProphet

xProphet Level III

Right
    Please do not spam - Commy

6. Adipocere

Adipocere Newbie

I think that life in prison should literally be life in prison, although I understand the weight of the costs of that, especially for those who are given a life sentance at a younger age. I think in the case of some crimes, a life of suffering would be more fitting a punishment than 5 years on death row and a lethal injection, but that's mostly due to my warped sense of justice.

I think that some people should never be allowed to walk free, and in the case of those who will live longer than their 25 year sentance (or just 15 years in the UK), the possibility of the death sentance should be considered. There are crimes that are so disgusting I can't even fathom what kind of human being it takes to commit them, and if they show no remorse, or worse... They don't seem to grasp the concept of the fact it was wrong... Death row seems fair enough to me.

But once again, if life in prison was actually life, to me it would be preferable.

7. socks1724

socks1724 Newbie

Eye for an eye, Tooth for a tooth.

8. creatinetaker

creatinetaker Level II

i support the death penalty and i believe that people who are sent to 25+ years should have the option to end their own life. Death penalties should not be applied to crimes, but instead should be offered as a way out of prison.

9. Adam

Adam Level III

China has mandatory death penalties for crimes involving personal marijuana use. in vietnam ther is also a mandatory death sentence for personal marijuana users. (just a fun fact)

No i dont support the death penalty.... If u did a crime heinous enough for the death penalty, then u deserve to suffer... IN JAIL not in the nothingness after death (which sure as hell beats life in prison)

10. Dusk412

Dusk412 Level I

One thing, some people were saying that people who get a life sentence should get death penalty because they would walk after twenty-five years (or something like that - that's just a brief synopsis). People who commit truly heinous crimes can get things like 3 life sentences or like 250 years and stuff like that. So usually they don't get out. And I have never heard that a life sentence was only 25 years before. I have always heard that a life sentence is for life, though you may have a chance of parole depending on behavior and your crime and other such things.

I personally believe that the death penalty should be legal but only for certain crimes such as 1st degree murder of like 3 people or treason or something ridiculous where there is a lot of proof and either you deserve to die or you are psychotic. And really, who needs psychotic murderers?

11. muro

muro Level II

I personally don't agree with death penalty. There's always a chance of killing an innocent person, and I don't see why taking a criminal to a mental institute or giving him/her a life sentence is any worse of an option. If you kill the criminal you cut out his/her chance to change and better him/herself.

I see death penalty only as a scare tactic in a state that doesn't know how to deal with criminality. Clean up your society first before blaming it all on individuals 'kay..

12. JAM

JAM Newbie

The death penalty is wrong in my opinion cause when they are in prison they no longer create imminent danger to anyone. If they are in jail and are in the population---the population will take care of them---look at jeffrey dammer. Its not fair for taxpayers to pay for any fool in jail. The average cost is 36,000 an inmate. Most americans don't make that much money. Just think if we killed all the inmates, how much money would be returned to the taxpayers.....hmmm its just a toughie.

13. Phee

Phee Moderator
    Staff Member

Many prisons are heated/air-conditioned, have cable tvs, entertainment rooms, radios, have gymnasiums, baseball/volleyball/tennis/etc. courts, et cetera, et cetera.

In winters, there are hundreds or even thousands of homeless who purposely commit minor misdemeanors so they'll have food and a warm bed to stay in.

Just sayin'.

14. Fendi

Fendi Level IV

Hmm kind of surprises me that so many people are for the death penalty.

I'm 100% against it, it doesn't work as a preventative measure so it's only purpose is to get revenge. Look at it this way if you've been planning to kill someone and you know full well if your caught you'll get the death penalty... do you really think dying is punishment for this person? They know they will be killed if they are caught and they still do it, obviously they don't care if they live or die. So as a punishment it's useless.

You can't ever be 100% sure that someone on death row is guilty and if even one innocent person is put to death then the system should be stopped you can't say sorry to a dead man.

I'm not too sure about price comparison of life in prison & lethal injection but I just tried to look it up and the few sites I looked at said it costs more to implement the death penalty. At the end of the day can you put a price on morals?

"An eye for an eye only makes the whole world blind."
    - Gandhi

15. incendia

incendia Level I

I was once against the death penalty in all cases but having known who have lost others to murder, I reconsidered.

I don't know how I would feel if someone else took someone I love away from me... & I also don't believe prison, in most cases, is really suffering. It is if the criminal feels remorse about their crime but I can't imagine many do as they do it in the first place.

In cases where this is definitive evidence of a murder I believe the friends & the families of the victim should be the final jury.

16. mjnskivt

mjnskivt Level III

I think that anyone convicted of first degree murder or worse should get the death penalty. To me, it's not worth it to spend all those tax dollars on keeping someone in prison for life when you know they're never going to get out.

17. Ithirae

Ithirae Level I

I believe in circumstance... I mean, if someone is a crazy mass-murderer, whom caused dozens of people pain and suffering - sure, I believe they should get the death penalty.

But like they say - An eye for an eye, and soon the entire world will be blind.

18. Duckied

Duckied Level I

I support and believe in the Death Penalty.
    I think that every severe crime case should face this.
    For example, if some crazy lunatic starting killing 20 people, I think that person should have a taste of their own medicine;; Instead of facing 25 years or more in prison.

19. kelliequek87

kelliequek87 Level I

i think im also undecided... i guess it depends on the severity of the crime? i mean if the crime involves the lives of other pple, then yeah..i support the implementation of the death penalty. bsides i see it from the point of view that having life imprisonment realli wates lots of tax payer's money.. but then again, who are we to decide who lives and who dies?

20. Liwi

Liwi Level II

I think that the death penalty is good. Why should we pay money to keep a bunch of criminals alive?