1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The End of Neopets

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Icegoten, Aug 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lightning

Lightning Administrator
    Staff Member

I probably think it will be financial or legal problems...like a regular business, somebody might get really mad and sue them. Or, they don't have enough money to support. But, still, a lot of people would love to buy out Neopets because it does make a good amount of money :)

2. Jane

Jane Level IV

Truthfully, Neopets will never end. It's got a huge market, and it's growing quite steadily even with the not so good stuff behind it.

I guess when we get older and more technologically advanced Neopets will have to update to a better system (again) or face competition. :]

3. draze

draze Level II

I agree with what a lot of people saying about people being bored. But then again, i came back after years, so if they just leave it alone for a few years maybe after everyone quits, they will all come back with renewed interest :)

4. Similius

Similius Level II

Yeah, I agree on that. For now neopets is still doing a good job, and I have faith they are smart and professional enough to adapt to new generations of people and their demands.

5. Quadratic

Quadratic Level II

Neopets will almost always be profitable. You would be suprised how many people buy crap from the mall and are premium members. Even if they lost that revenue, they could still earn it from the ad rev. I have noticed a lot less people on the site though in recent years, but its still a lot of traffic for any website.

6. Lily

Lily Level I

This. It's already half-way there to a paysite, why not? P:

7. PrinceErik

PrinceErik Level IV

I say it will suddenly end when Viacom isn't making enough money off of it, so they moderate the site less and there is excessive cheating, so it no longer has any challenge

8. souske88

souske88 Level I

My prediction is that sooner or later they will expand Neopets and offer P2P service something like that of Runscape - site restrictions, etc. If that happens, the traffic will suffer greatly.

9. hamsterkid

hamsterkid Level I

heehee :p i think the programmers will get sick of the cger's and "accidentally" delete all the data for neopets. blaming a virus

either that, or neo will shut down on april fools and then when we come back on the second, third and fourth of april, we realise the were being serious, and then we all look stupid :p

10. Szisaw

Szisaw Newbie

my account was cookie grabbed and i lost it.. i was so upset.. spent millions on my pets and had around 2.5 mill in my bank!! :X: so my sister told me bout this site :) now im tryin to figure it all out so i can get my neopoints n my pets back!

11. Rena

Rena Level III

It's hard for Neopets to die from 'people getting bored', because there are always new additions to the world everyday, and from time to time, there are always new players to the world of Neopia, just that these entirely new players see things differently from the oldies.

Some of these newbies might find the current Neopets (or the future one) interesting and hence stay, but I personally feel that over time, this number will dwindle, and that's how Neopets will slowly 'die' off, although it'll never FULLY die off. It'll become one of those forgotten sites, I guess?

Although it's really hard to say, because things can change.

12. FF9ZidaneGal

FF9ZidaneGal Level I

Neopets is owned by Viacom, correct?

I feel what may happen is it'll continue to expand, but all of the expansions will mainly be available to the paying customers. I know another game online that I play that is like that. It's fun...but once you pay for the three months of being a VIP, you NEVER want to be non-VIP again.

If all else fails, I feel the site will expand a great deal where other companies will compete to attempt to buy Neopets. I feel once it is bought by another company, security will lower and some people doing certain offenses will go by unscathed.

I was one of those people that were unfairly iced. I even sent in the paperwork saying I was unfairly iced and provided A LOT of information to verify it was me, but they still refused. Even when I try to log in it tells me Neopets has no idea why I was frozen and I should contact them for more information. Contacted them, but got no information. Oh well. :/

I do wish Neopets respected us non-payers a bit more. I'm ready to pay to get a VIP-like status and see if they pay more attention to us when we pay-to-play rather than just play. :)

13. Rena

Rena Level III

I'm pretty sure they give the Premium players (or NCMall fans) more attention. I even have this theory that their chances of getting frozen are lower, even if they commit major offences. TNT will think, "Hmm, this is where I'm getting my revenue from."

And they'd think twice.

14. Elhoof

Elhoof Level III

I don't think Premium or money is what will kill Neopets, it has reached a point where the pixels for stuff like LEV and MSPP have gotten too much life to really ever fade entirely. As long as the cost of upkeep is lower than the revenue it can generate it'll be alive. Unless somehow everything (account data) got wiped out. I think if everyone had to start again it would be a blow that Neopets cannot survive, all those 7 year accounts trophies, retired avatars, billions poured into shops, munsterpoo old plot items MSPP. IF they didn't exist any longer the game would die

15. Rena

Rena Level III

That makes sense. Some disaster might strike them. Some evil company might try to get into their database ._.

16. battledome

battledome Level I

if anything like that does happen, i for one will be sad, but happy at the sametime..it's sort of lkike a nudge in ther ight direction to stop playing all together

17. joeharrymoma

joeharrymoma Newbie

I've noticed many people quit Neopets during school but come back during Summer. I myself don't think Neopets will die down soon, look at how big it is, and with the ad thing, they probably added more ads because there are millions of people playing. I do know many people are unfairly frozen and turn to cheating, as I did lol. They may not get as much money from their murchandise that you buy in stores but notice those ads on the site for different companies, all are probably around $1,000 so thats a good profit for only a little portion of the site.

18. WildSnorlax

WildSnorlax Level IV

Actually if they were smart, they'd have daily back ups so it's so so hard to have someone hack neopets and then erase everything leaving no possible way to run back up files that are already saved.

19. oxlilshorti

oxlilshorti Level I

I highly doubt neopets will ever end... sure Webkins is putting a big dent in neopets activity, but I love the plots liike right now I do not play but if a lutari island plot ever comes around I will join to come back and play the plot!

20. Valaris

Valaris Level I

Already working on neopets shutting down, time to put 3 years of hacking runescape to use on neopets :p

Why? i've been frozen 12 times, on my 4th time i decided to play runescape, by then runescape got boring so i decided to start hacking, already working on getting an unlimited neocash program, no freeze rate :p :p :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.