1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To Spank or Not to Spank

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by peanutpunk, Oct 28, 2007.

?

How do you feel about Spanking kids?

1. pro

34 vote(s)
    59.6%
  2. against

23 vote(s)
    40.4%
  1. Poprockz

Poprockz Level II

You can bet that my children will be spanked when they do something wrong. Nothing brutal, but they need to learn that they've done something wrong .. that way, I don't have to spank them for very long. They'll build their own sense of right and wrong as well.

2. MickaelH

MickaelH Level I

Some people can't take pain, then they're usually the ones against spankings...
    ---
    This is false, I can take pain, and I'm against ^^ Sure most of the people that can't take pain will be against, but don't say that every against people just can't take pain ^^ In quebec, you would do this same debate and it would be completly reverse. There would be a lot more people against than pro.

3. Charlie

Charlie Level IV

Thats why I said usually not all... >_>

4. Adam

Adam Level III

Hmmm, Im against. I noticed that a certain few of my friends are particularly violent... Its extremely annoying. For example, I lightly punch his arm as a joke and he headlocks and tackles me, or the kid who I make a joke about (to his face) and instead of laughing attacks and starts a whole thing... Or i jokingly pretend to take his candybar and he twists my hand around.. Im 16 by the way, they dont seriously injure any1 or literally abuse any1, theyre just unnecessarily violent and its unbelievably annoying/makes me/others not want to hang around them... Well, this all points to the fact that I asked all of them and their parents all used to hit them wen they were kids. Creating more of these annoying extra violent kids... Im definately not a fan. Personally, my parents never hit me, nor did they really ever ground me. My parents were extremely patient and caring, putting tons of effort into disciplining and parenting me (without hitting or grounding). Hitting is like a shortcut within parenting, you may reach the same place, but I think the parents that took the long way will raise better kids.

5. Charlie

Charlie Level IV

My parents were immigrants from the vietnam war. when they moved over, they had nothing. They worked their tales off in order to make through college and form a family. So when my siblings and I were born, we had it easy compared to them. We were spanked to show how good we had it and to know what they went through. Realizing that, I became a better person. Again as I said, some children respond to different methods of discipline. Spanking works on some, like myself. Sometimes kids take it the wrong way.

6. Naff

Naff Level II

I think spanking that is overdone is really wrong. I think by just spanking a child doesnt teach them WHY something is wrong, just that it is wrong. I think it is really important to teach children the reason why something is wrong.

7. Digitype

Digitype Level I

i was never spanked but i think it should be done. loud disbehaving kids are just annoying and they need to be disciplined.

8. Avandia

Avandia Level III

Hm... depends on what you consider spanking. Like I consider spanking to be several moderately forceful strikes, generally on the bum. :p I don't think I would spank my kids, but I have lightly popped little cousins on the butt just once for doing something bad. Or like, smacking a babies hand when they get into something they're not supposed to. But that's as far as it goes. I think time out is more effective. The truth is it's not really about the parent or the child. Everyone is different. Some children respond better to spankings, while others may need alternate methods of discipline.

9. Charlie

Charlie Level IV

Bamboo stick to the butt = makes Charlie a better person =D

Yeah it really all depends on the child as I've said the last couple times I've posted on this issue. Personally, I would spank my children because I was spanked as a child and they will learn from there mistakes. I feel that grounding is just lame, stupid, and kids that deserves spankings would never obey the limits of a grounding. Make it short and sweet and they will know. Grounding kids will just have them hate you even more. Well thats how I was when I got grounded... >_>

10. juvenile

juvenile Level II

when i have kids, if they do something bad then yes, they are going to be spanked.
    it's how i was raised, and it worked well for me.
    sometimes i wonder how some kids were raised, you know like those wild teens on maury that beat their mothers and run around the streets doing drugs and such for fun. i highly doubt these kids were spanked a day in their life.

11. Dark_knight2008

Dark_knight2008 Level I

I am against spanking.
    Kids should be well trained to understand "no" from the first time without being spanked or threatened.

12. Charlie

Charlie Level IV

Most of the time those kids were often spoiled as a child and never punished. Or they grew up in a bad neighborhood where street violence occured alot.

13. Avandia

Avandia Level III

I think that can be true in some cases... but not all kids that weren't spanked, or even 'well disciplined' don't turn out to be criminals or crack heads. :p My mom hardly ever punished me because she didn't really have time being a single parent, going to school, and working two jobs. Granted I wasn't the most well behaved child in the world... but far from running amok.. lol.

14. omgmelson

omgmelson Level I

a mix of spanking and verbal discipline. imo you don't want to expose your child to "violence" too often. i read somewhere in a psych book that studies show that explaining to the child what they did wrong is the best form of parenting.

15. Zer0

Zer0 Level IV

It all depends on the child and the situation. Sometimes explaining things isn't enough and a good whack can settle things. But it shouldn't be the primary option for discipline because a child will get used to the beatings and will view them as a part of life. In that case, the child will much more likely go on to resort to violence later in life. Beating is like rewarding, beat them too often and it won't have the same positive effect anymore.

16. kelc3949

kelc3949 Level I

Child abuse!! I don't like spankings! And so likely if your dad spanked you you'll spank your kids well not with the child abuse laws but the abused kid will have trauma in their life.....

17. II_warlord_II

II_warlord_II Level III

In New Zealand, thats where i'm at.
    it is illegal to spank kids!!!
    how are you suppose to teach them effectively, esp the brats!! ek...

but in Thailand, where i'm from... its so totally the right things to do, haha

18. CHticker

CHticker Level I

Kids are brats, and should be spanked.

I was spanked, didn't give me any trauma.

19. Arash

Arash Level I

Think about it, you can spank and hit your child today, but when he gets stronger than you, you will lose any and all control you have over him. Not to mention the emotional trauma you inflict upon your child once you hit him.

20. Chris

Chris Level II

Well.. spare thy rod, spoil they child.. something relative to that. If a book dedicated to being morally right says it ok, then yeah, spank your kid. I don't mean literally beat'em half to death, but never spanking your child could lead to a spoiled brat that don't know no better, honestly.

I was whipped alot as a kid, no trauma from me. I was also a really bad kid to, stealing money, getting into fights etc etc. Now I'm a college graduate who earns a living from home, a decent one at that. I own a BMW M3, and a nice house. Not bad for 23 right..?