1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vegetarianism

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by goncalo, Oct 2, 2007.

?

Vegetarianism?

1. I'm for it.

13 vote(s)
    39.4%
  2. I'm not for it.

20 vote(s)
    60.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soccermadness90

soccermadness90 Level III

Ok. I missed out that aspect.

Fibers that give bulk to your waste is one of the main things that you would miss in a pure meat diet.

2. superperson

superperson Level II

Well some people consume a lot of meat. And then they want more. So more animals are killed. More animals are put in terrible conditions and abused. And I guess vegetarians/vegans want to stop that, and I tried going Vegetarian but I almost fainted from lack of calcium since i'm young. >< Anyways, that's my opinion. :)

3. derrick599

derrick599 Level I

i used to have a friend who was allergict to meat and she would throw up :yup:

4. superperson

superperson Level II

Oh wow, I never knew that .. existed .. an allergic reaction to meat. the poor thing, :( hope she's okay!

5. superperson

superperson Level II

Although I'm not too much of a vegetarian, i'm very much for promoting animal rights. I onlce took a 30 day veggie pledge .. and uhh, it was tough. I felt dizzy a lot, I'm not old enough to go without that much protein/calcium yet. ><

6. soccermadness90

Eating meat does not necessarily mean that more animals are being abused.

Also not all vegetarians are vegetarians because they want to stop animal abuse. That is not exactly an effective way to stop animal abuse. What about animal abuse in circuses?

7. Virre

Virre Level IV

Most vegetarians and especially vegans don't go to the circus just because it's often a bad enviroment for the animals.
    I don't go to the circus.
    I'm not vegan to stop animal abuse either, I'm vegan because I think it's unethical to take a life for food when I can live on vegtables, beans, fruits etc.
    I'm vegan because I do belive that animals should have the same basic rights (not necessarily responsibilities (sp?)) as humans.

8. soccermadness90

There is nothing wrong in believing that animals should have the same basic rights. But i am curious about one thing. Don't vegetables have lives? Just because they do not move does not mean that they are not alive.

9. cardenal

cardenal Level III

They are alive, but some animals are seen as seen as sentient beings, while vegetables are not. Vegetables are alive just like trees are alive, but animals can actually suffer. they feel pain. we're not so sure about vegetables...

10. soccermadness90

Well i dont think that veg can suffer nor can they feel pain. Valid point there.

11. Virre

Virre Level IV

With "life" I don't only mean organism. I mean a living being that can feel.
    A vegetable cannot feel pain since it lacks a central nervous system. It can't interact with the enviroment in a way that gives us a clue of if it can feel love or anger or joy either. Therefore, by my standards, vegetables are not alive in the same sense as animals.

12. cardenal

cardenal Level III

good point. didn't think of putting it that way. some people wont eat vegetables or fruit that hasn't "died of natural causes" [eg. fallen from the tree naturally]

13. soccermadness90

in that case they have seriously very little that they can eat. Most veg are harvested at their must healthy and largest state. If they have to eat only dead veg..... then i really do not know what to say.

14. cardenal

cardenal Level III

I don't really understand it either. I don't get how they can stay even remotely healthy by eating like that

15. soccermadness90

yes there is a reason why the vegetable dies. Due to disease, due to old age and maybe other reasons. But all of this reasons points to the vegetable being unhealthy. If one is to survive on old/diseased/dead vegetables i have serious doubts that one can actually survive. :|

16. noncheatercheater

I have never heard of people waiting for a vegetable/fruit to die before they eat it. That's going a bit too far if you're a vegan/vegetarian. lol

17. LotusChild98

LotusChild98 Level I

Ok ive only really go tone thing to say on this topic, if God didnt want us to eat animals, then why did he make them out of meat? And why do we have teeth built for both meet and plants? In my view it isnt a bad idea to be a vegetarian, its probably more healthy anyways, but if you can just balance what you eat then, i dont see a problem with eating meat.

18. cardenal

cardenal Level III

maybe our teeth were designed to eat very tough plants. There are some plants that require you to use all your teeth [eg, tear into it, then chew it]. How do you know that that wasn't Gods plan?

and humans are made of meat. did God intend for us to eat each other?

19. Virre

Virre Level IV

I don't belive in God, but I'll reason from the same point as you on this.
    So my counter question to you is: If God gave made us ethical and moral beings, why would he think it's okay to eat one of the creatures he has blessed with a conciousness?

And as cardenal pointed out, humans are made of meat. We are creatures. What would God have created animals out of? Stone? Then they would have been stones, not animals.

20. cardenal

cardenal Level III

Ok, I'll pretend that I believe in God, or in the bible. There are many things that God said in the bible, such as that people should be stoned for wearing cotton that had been mixed with another fabric. People weren't allowed to eat shellfish, yet if you touched a woman during her time of uncleanliness [menstruation] you had to sacrifice a sheep.
    There were many reasons for sacrificing sheep, in fact. So which is better? Killing an animal and gaining sustenance from it [as people do today] or killing it to appease a deity, and either burning the flesh or letting it rot?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.